Author Topic: saftey harnessess / fall restraints  (Read 4072 times)

Offline spoonfed

• Spiked
  • anti hunters suck
saftey harnessess / fall restraints
« on: Sep 12, 2006, 02:03:01 PM »
  i have never wore one before but my son is old enough to hunt this year and i've been looking at getting him and myself one.  but with so many out there its getting to be a chore to choose one.  any opinions on what to get?  vest or the typical harness.  what brand seems to be the best.  which ones work the best with climbing stands.   thanks in advance for any help.

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
Re: saftey harnessess / fall restraints
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2006, 02:08:02 PM »
I use the typical harness style that came with my Summit climbing treestand. I would, however, like to try the vest type. They look to be way less cumbersome..especially in the wee hours of the morning / dark when I'm only about half coherent. They are price prohibitive though. How old is your son? If you're using a climber, make sure you have something that can be put on the tree from the begining and used throughout the whole climb (it doesn't take that much longer). My advice is to not scrimp on this item as it really, truly, may save your life.  ;)
Adam

Offline spoonfed

• Spiked
  • anti hunters suck
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2006, 02:11:13 PM »
  thats one of the problems i'm running into.  most buckel to the tree.  i seen one that used a rope that you could move easily up the tree as you go but cant remember the brand.

Offline flockshot

• 6 Pointer
  • I have a thing for redheads
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2006, 02:15:16 PM »
hunter safety system harness...its incredibly comfortable and easy on the pocket and extremely easy to wear . i bought one last year..really good.
"Here they come...TAKE'EM"......  I see dead ducks.

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2006, 02:20:42 PM »
  thats one of the problems i'm running into.  most buckel to the tree.  i seen one that used a rope that you could move easily up the tree as you go but cant remember the brand.

That's what I use in my climber...Also don't know the brand but it uses a nice thick rope and a knot that I can't remember the name of. lol Great system..easy to adjust and very safe  ;)

hunter safety system harness...its incredibly comfortable and easy on the pocket and extremely easy to wear . i bought one last year..really good.

If that's the vest type...I think that's the one I'm thinking I'd like to have. Thought they were about 75 bucks though.
Adam

Offline flockshot

• 6 Pointer
  • I have a thing for redheads
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2006, 02:35:34 PM »
they run from 75 to 150.....but bass pro has been runing them on sale alot...so check the website.(they were down to 58 a few weeks ago) but yes thats the vest type with the actual seltbelt button style connections..no tangles..easy to wear..and in my opionion my life is worth 75 bucks for something ill never be to lazy to wear.
"Here they come...TAKE'EM"......  I see dead ducks.

Offline spoonfed

• Spiked
  • anti hunters suck
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2006, 03:14:03 PM »

i went down to cabella's a week ago and tried one of those on.  it seemed heavy.  i liked the seat belt type buckle but how heavy does it get walking out to your spot.  or do put it on when you get out there?  we both (me & son) will have a climber,bow,and all the rest of the stuff and my hunting spot is a good 3/4 mile walk back into a swamp.  worried about the son if he can manage all that weight.

has anybody used a brand " loggy bayou".  the one i'm looking at  online has the seat belt buckle around the waist but its like the normal harness type with paded straps.  the "tranformer"  its like 70 bucks. comes with the rope and loggers belt.
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2006, 03:17:21 PM by spoonfed »

Offline spoonfed

• Spiked
  • anti hunters suck
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2006, 03:15:55 PM »

That's what I use in my climber...Also don't know the brand but it uses a nice thick rope and a knot that I can't remember the name of. lol Great system..easy to adjust and very safe  ;)

prussic knot

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2006, 03:19:37 PM »

prussic knot

Yep! Thanks. The prussic hitch I believe they called it.  Pretty sweet knot  ;)
Adam

Offline cdc

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2006, 04:46:52 PM »
I am looking into getting a vest type safety harness...It would be so much easier to get into one of those then the one that came with my stand...Man thats a pain!!...I was looking at one that is called "seat of the pants" harness..I founds one at Dicks but at 75 bucks its little pricey right now....I did see one at LL Beans that goes for 50bucks...Maybe next week.

Offline ifishhi

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2006, 09:02:47 PM »
duct tape 1.59 ;D

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2006, 06:32:37 AM »
I use a nylon belt I got at walmart. I don't like the vests or harness.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline fshnfool

• 6 Pointer
  • ssssssshhhh....I'm hunting wwwabbit
« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2006, 09:42:38 AM »
I use a nylon belt too. cheapest thing going (except ifishhi's duct tape.. ;) ), and the least intrusive to moving around in the stand.

as a matter of fact....I use the same belt when I take my 3 y/o out on my sled....I act as the tree and strap him in front of me.
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2006, 09:47:50 AM by fshnfool »
~Scott~

Offline spoonfed

• Spiked
  • anti hunters suck
« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2006, 07:55:39 PM »
well i finally decided and ordered and received my harnesses.  decided on the loggy bayou "transformer" harness.  i have to tell you i like it alot.  light weight with padded shoulder and leg straps.  the leg straps are contoured to go around your leg.  very comfortable.  seat belt buckle at the waist and a binoc bino set up. very nice and easy to put on harness.  75 bucks.  can be used with a climber.  check em out at "loggybayou.com"

thanks for responses.

Offline Dr. IceGeek

• Forked
« Reply #14 on: Sep 19, 2006, 08:07:04 PM »
I've got a "seat of the pants" harness that I've used for a few seasons now.  It takes a minute to put on, but I like it alot.  No complaints at all.  $80 bucks is a small price to pay for something that could possibly save your life.  I used a belt harness priorto that, and I never really felt comfortable when I was up 20+ feet in the air.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal