Author Topic: We as hunters need to do something!!  (Read 4962 times)

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
We as hunters need to do something!!
« on: Oct 18, 2012, 05:21:55 AM »
Sent out a few emails in the last few days to different people who are in the decision making process for our game laws.....Now I wanted to plead a case to any ECO or Ranger who may be reading these pages...I know of a few who do....
There is a need to do something with the coyote problem in NYS.... Really shows when a small percentage of the total number of hunters in the state are posting here that they lost a deer to coyotes....yes I know that it still (in the end) counts towards the state's projected deer harvest numbers....but,....and a big one...how many people don't do what these people did? Most I'm sure just leave it, and continue on hunting with their tags....They don't feel the need to be ethical, and tag the thing since they killed it....they only see they can't use it(eat it) so they aren't giving up their tag....not that I can completely blame them...I also see that point.....The season dates(for coyote) were set years ago, to try to establish a breeding population in some areas.....why I'm not sure....I guess they felt that with the decline of hunters, we needed another natural predator of deer(though most biologists still say coyotes kill very few).....So be it....Now the season dates are allowing them to over populate the areas that were targeted, and branch to areas that don't need more predation.....The state did have a discussion meeting program about it, and talked about extending the season into May to include turkey season....when most hunters see them....that seems to have all but went away....they placated us, and now figure we have forgotten....I haven't, and I'm sure many here haven't since losing a great bow kill to an animal that once was no real problem to us....(after the bounty)
I propose an open season year round....I know all the nay say'ers will jump on that with the, "there are hikers in the woods in the summer".....yes, there are, but also a lot of them in the woods in the fall with deer season going on....educate, inform, and keep safe....what is done for them....signs tell them that people are hunting in that area, to wear orange, or not wear brown....Also most true coyote hunters will be doing it after dark, so lessening the chance of them being in the woods with hikers.....
One thing for sure, from all the reports I am seeing or hearing locally....Something needs to be done.....Talking about it has done nothing....time to make some decisions....heck we made a youth weekend decision in one session.....why is this so difficult....
OH and as a side note to people here....I've quit smoking....so yes I'm a bit edgy....and may be for a bit....always did say what was on my mind....just right now might not always think to make it smoother, or politically correct.....I'm tired of seeing good hunters, doing as they should and being penalized by a state that is run by suits in NYC....we might not have the money they do, but we have what they desire.....the monies we spend for licenses....

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: We as hunters need to do something!!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2012, 05:48:04 AM »
Hunting them in May would be good..    Good luck with the no smokes...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2012, 07:37:55 AM »
You may have quit smokimg ciggerates but when it comes to the coyotes. Smoke a pack a day! Good luck.

Nice!  8)
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2012, 07:47:50 AM »
I fully agree with upstate about the coyotes  ;) ;) ;) ;) but as an ex smoker...... :-\ :-\ :-\ I totally agree with the quit smoking........Its been 5 years for me so keep up the good work and get cranky... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(......let it out.. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(.....and you will continue to be smoke free. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D....god i love a smoke free cranky man  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) good luck mr cranky pants.... :o :o

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2012, 08:00:49 AM »
Stick with the quit Scott, it's no easy task by a long shot. I've talked to several people about my buck in conversation and didn't get the impression a single one of them would have tagged it. Actually I know for a fact most wouldn't.

Does anyone know how much a coyote pelt is worth now?

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2012, 08:30:31 AM »
november f-f-g has them at around $20-30.   which is the price of goods without a fistsize exit hole.

If vegetarians love animals so much, why do they eat all their food?   

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2012, 08:42:48 AM »
Does anyone know how much a coyote pelt is worth now?

Price is so low here it is not even worth walking up to look at it after :-\

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2012, 08:51:32 AM »
Was wondering if there would be enough value to have a few guys take them and put a portion of the value into a lottery type drawing. Doesn't sound like it.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2012, 08:54:16 AM »
No not at all, once you prep them with the time you put in they are worthless as far as monetary value, you would have to shoot a ton to see money............. unless you get a black or white or Strawberry one something different from the rest.

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2012, 08:55:21 AM »
Price is so low here it is not even worth walking up to look at it after :-\
really?  id walk a hundred yards to pick  up a 20 spot.  :o :o

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2012, 08:58:27 AM »
I would if I could just hand over the dog and not have to do a thing to it. 20 bucks is not worth doing any work on it to me.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2012, 08:59:50 AM »
I would if I could just hand over the dog and not have to do a thing to it. 20 bucks is not worth doing any work on it to me.

I have a guy that will do it all for the hide.  I just knock em out and pick em up drop em off....kinda like a lop, chop and drop thingee

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2012, 09:01:34 AM »
Right but you get nothing out of it right? So it's like why even go through the trouble to drag them out of the woods and bring them to the guy imo?

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2012, 09:09:18 AM »
i sell mine in the carcass. fox and yotes. usually get around 15-25 for them whole.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2012, 09:12:20 AM »
See now that I would totally do that would be great. Here noone wants them whole, maybe because we have no closed season or bag limits? They are everywhere........... I useto have winter where I would shoot 20-25 just myself and not get a penny for anything

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal