Author Topic: what are my chances  (Read 2576 times)

Offline whitetailfreak10990

• 6 Pointer
what are my chances
« on: Jul 28, 2012, 09:00:04 AM »
on the new property I got permission to hunt is a hay farm. Theres a real big 10 point I see every dawn and dusk from the road. what are the chances hell be there come October
chris

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: what are my chances
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2012, 09:02:54 AM »
on the new property I got permission to hunt is a hay farm. Theres a real big 10 point I see every dawn and dusk from the road. what are the chances hell be there come October
I'd say pretty good as long as there is plenty of cover, food, and water near by.

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2012, 09:21:22 AM »
I'd say pretty good as long as there is plenty of cover, food, and water near by.

Unless he goes looking for girls.

Peddler  ;D
Peddler

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2012, 09:33:28 AM »
Your chances are not good at all....   He will be gone and looking for does and if you see him all the time so does every one else...   So I would just give up on that spot and let some one  else like me hunt there............ ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2012, 10:03:49 AM by Raquettedacker »
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2012, 09:48:21 AM »
Your chances are not good at all....   He will be gone and looking for does and if you see him all the time so does every one else...   So I would just give up on that spot and let some else like me hunt there............ ;D ;D ;D

Good call RD, spoken like a true friend. That way he won't be wasting precious hunting time.

Peddler ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Peddler

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2012, 06:12:22 AM »
It depends. I've seen big bucks stay in a small area of less than 60 acres to bucks that cruise miles per night.  If he has good cover, food, and lots of does, he'll most likely stick around.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2012, 06:43:49 AM »
In early october he should still be there. I think the trick is to keep him patterned without pushing him out and get him as soon as the conditions are right.

Offline Inwellb4light

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2012, 09:06:18 AM »
As soon as he sheds his velvet he'll change his patterns.  You're going to need more than just hay fields to keep that deer around.  Start looking for other food sources he will utilize as fall progresses and find the doe bedding areas and get some cameras up.   Use the cameras to try to narrow down a core area for the buck, and hunt him there.
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2012, 09:08:55 AM by Inwellb4light »
"You can learn more about hunting deer with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life"  - Fred Bear

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2012, 03:16:34 PM »

There are many questions that will make a difference. 1st does the farmer cut the hay, if he does then your main food source will be gone by Oct. & so will he. 2nd are there other food sources there that he can get to? Are there Doe's there now? I don't know where you live but can you bait deer in your state, if so you might start feeding him now w/something that will keep him coming back for more.

Offline 33Canuck

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2012, 03:26:44 PM »
There are alot of factors that decide that, honestly the odds are he won't be there come fall.  I find most big bucks typically summer a decent distance from their favorite fall haunts but if you have the right ground with food, water, does, and low to no pressure you have a recipe for success for sure.  Good luck, at least you know a good one is in the area so the genetics are there.
Nothing beats the view through a peep!

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 31, 2012, 04:06:47 AM »
I don't think he going to be around much he will be out cruising trying to get a little HONEY on his STINGER

Offline whitetailfreak10990

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Jul 31, 2012, 06:51:38 AM »
I live in NY so theres no baiting. just have to hope for best
chris

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Jul 31, 2012, 07:14:05 AM »
There are a lot of variables that may change his patterns, but he's an older buck so he's been in that area for a while.  The biggest thing that I find is human pressure.  Stay the heck out of the woods!  Get in there early in the year and set up your stands and trim them up and then get the heck out and stay out!  If he's comfortable in that area he'll return to that area no matter how far he may roam.  The more you are in there fooling around with camera’s and such the less comfortable he will become with this area.  Just my personal opinion.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal