Author Topic: Scent control  (Read 10690 times)

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
Scent control
« on: Sep 13, 2009, 11:10:41 PM »
How many of you guys are scent control nuts? I have a scentlok suit and keep it along with my other main hunting clothes in an air tight tote.....i also have scent wafers from hunter specialties that i use on occasion and i also spray down with scent eliminator spray each time out.....also i use the scent-free/uv eliminating clothes wash......i dont take it as far as deodorant, shower gel/shampoo and that gum but i think im scent crazy enough for now  ::)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: Scent control
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2009, 05:22:41 AM »
Every little bit helps..
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline bucksnort

• 8 Pointer
  • mealworm on the shanty
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2009, 05:32:25 AM »
oh yeah body, wash, shampoo, detergent i use it all as long as its scent eliminating i use it,i'm not a fan of using cover scent though, i think cover scents are a little to strong
oh yeah buzzy...he's a racker

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT

halfrack33

« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2009, 06:58:23 AM »
I use the deodorant, keep my clothes outside away from household smells, and spray down multiple times each hunt... and they still smell me

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »
I read in a magazine the playing the wind was good but controlling your scent is better.

Offline larz

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2009, 11:20:33 AM »
i don't know how much to put into this scent cotrol deal. I do know that allot of millionaires have been made by good advertisement and making you beleive you need to use all this crap the seems so unnessary. I ponder the question to all of you DO YOU SEE ANYMORE DEER.its almost as bad as you gotta have a four wheeler too.but if the deer can hear you coming into their living room they will gladly wait for you to arrive.we all have the old rubber boot theory well the tracking dog can find you with them on as well as scent lock suit and spray elimanator as reported in outdoor life magazine.

halfrack33

« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2009, 11:39:44 AM »
well, if you've never been busted by a deer smelling you then you haven't hunted too much (not aimed at anyone specifically). Chances are if you wash your clothes with a lavender dryer sheet, keep them hanging in the same utility closet your woman sprays her perfume in, go out freshly shaven wearing old spice, wear stinky ass boots, and have the smell of your sweat seeping out of your unbuttoned shirt, you're gonna be busted even sooner. It's doesn't cost that much to take a precaution to keep your clothes away from smells, not put on stinky deodorant before you go out, and buy a bottle of scent cover that will last you a whole year. I don't wear scent-lok though for a few reasons, mainly being the cost of clothes triples many times. If you can't go without wearing your man-scents for a day of hunting, i think you ought to be hunting on brokeback mountain, and not for deer. Just my two cents  ;D

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2009, 12:00:22 PM »
Scent control is important, it allows you to keep your spot fresher and not spook the animals out of the area. The problem is you can't eliminate all scent; you always need to use the wind to your advantage, it is the best scent control you can use. Once I learned to play the wind, my sightings, and kills, of game went way up.

One good tree I use is in a perfect spot for a southwest wind. I can approch from the northeast up a pretty steep slope; game travel south across this bench and never know I am there when the wind is right. My scent is carried out over the trees on the steep slope. It is a great funnel in the evenings as they head for the oaks to the south. Have taken a seven pointer and a bear from this tree with the bow.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Buckseeker

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2009, 08:14:29 PM »
I'm pretty particular about controling my scent, but I draw the line at spending hundreds of dollars on designer hunting clothes.  I tend to think wind and the approach taken to your watch is more important.  I'm starting to think that my scent control tactics are more superstition than anything else.

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2009, 08:27:34 PM »
i got my scent lok suit last year like 2 months after the season on sale at dicks for 100$ i was pumped to get that deal. i see right now they have the dream season scent blocker suit for 100 for the pants and 100 for the jacket not too bad compared to 300 or 400 for most suits

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #10 on: Sep 14, 2009, 08:35:06 PM »
Anybody who says scentblock suits dont work have never used them.........  I wont even listen to someone who tells me they dont work.  If you aint tried it.. keep your mouth shut. ;D
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline snowrider

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2009, 10:18:23 PM »
hey stuck im a scent freak lol i own two scentlok complete suits from head to toe two dif sets of baselayers my hunting clothes i wear around camp are kept in a scentlok bag everythings is washed in deaddownwind products i have sperate towles that are kept in scentlok containers i take a shower before i leave in the am when we come in for lunch i shower again i just try to be as scent free as possible the last two years ive shot deer less than 30 yards and im sitting on a ground stand so i think scent control really works i def believe in it..Happy hunting

kevin

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 16, 2009, 09:28:25 AM »
Anybody who says scentblock suits dont work have never used them.........  I wont even listen to someone who tells me they dont work.  If you aint tried it.. keep your mouth shut. ;D
I have used it and I will say it cant hurt you. BUT as long as you breath you still give off plenty of scent for a deer to smell. Scent control is blown way out of the water and the only true scent control is stand placement.  KEEP THE WIND IN YOUR FACE. There is the only REAL scent control that you need no matter WHAT YOU WEAR!!!!

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 16, 2009, 10:16:04 AM »
some good points but in most of my stands i cant really play the wind because the deer can come from any direction and usually they end up wandering around off the trails anyways so for me it doesnt matter which way the wind is blowing because i never know where the deer are gonna come from or go.....they always throw in some suprises when you least expect it  ;D

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #14 on: Sep 16, 2009, 10:45:16 AM »
some good points but in most of my stands i cant really play the wind because the deer can come from any direction and usually they end up wandering around off the trails anyways so for me it doesnt matter which way the wind is blowing because i never know where the deer are gonna come from or go.....they always throw in some suprises when you least expect it  ;D

If you can't play the wind from a stand, it is not an ideal stand location. Try to find spots where game are forced to travel, ie funneled, through narrow pathways without passing downwind of you; use the topography(steep hills/cliffs, water bodies, benches, saddles, fenclines, etc) to your advantage. Let the wind blow your scent to an area the deer aren't likely to be: open fields, water, steep hills. If any deer can smell you while you are on stand you will educate the deer to your location and future sightings from there will decrease.

Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal