Author Topic: reloading 30-06  (Read 4721 times)

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
reloading 30-06
« on: Aug 11, 2008, 08:27:48 AM »
I just started shooting my new Ruger M77MKII 30-06. I know it's not the most accurate rifle ever made, but my longest shot around here is 200-300 yds max so It should perform fine for what I need right?. My uncle just started getting back into reloading, and I just started. We found the tightest group with a 165gr boattail was about maximum charge at 52.5 grains of 4064. My problem is that I get 2/3 rounds nice but one is 1.5-2" out at 100yds. Any opinions? I know I don't flinch, but I'm also not an accomplished marksmen, all my deer have been talking with a bow so far. What should I try next, other than shooting more often?

Offline JKneibel

• Spiked
Re: reloading 30-06
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2008, 09:27:02 AM »
I reload as well, and sometimes that flier is just a product of not making every shell exactly the same.  Whether it be case length, powder charge, or shoulder angles.  You gotta make sure you are very careful to make each shell exactly the same.  Its all about consistency.  Thats why factory ammo is not the greatest to use. Good Luck. 
Pick a spot, squeeze the trigger...

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2008, 09:57:32 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if we were missing something. I know I was getting an accurate charge, but that's the only thing I was sure of. I'll take a pair of calipers to the loaded shells I've got and see how close they are, any idea what the tolerance should be?
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2008, 09:59:22 AM by stka »

Offline JKneibel

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2008, 02:43:26 PM »
I would have to say very close, since i dont know for sure.  Im kinda new at it too.  Case length should be the same, and overall length should be as well.  That is probably your problem.  You gotta have that ogive resting perfectly on the lands of the rifling.  Each bullet is different, so consult a reloading manual for the exact overall length, then match that exactly with every bullet you make.  You should be in good shape then.  By doing this, i was able to punch three bullets through the same hole at 100 yards with both my .243 and .270.  At 200 yards, i had .75 inch groups.  Good Luck, and good shooting.

Offline Rem14-32

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2008, 03:45:21 PM »
You did't mention how close together your shots were fired. Is your barrel floated ? 4064 burns pretty hot, you could have run into a little problem with barrel warp on your last shot. Are you trickling the last few grains of powder to get it right on the money ? Just to throw out a couple things to you.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2008, 04:16:44 PM »
The shots were fired about two minutes apart, then I let the barrel cool for 15-20 minutes or so.I'd have two shots well within an inch and a third one that's noticeably out, about 2". With the powder I've been as accurate as I can get with the dual slide single beam scale we've got, I can notice a difference of just 1-2 sticks of powder so they should be consistant. I do know the barrel heats up pretty fast. I think I kept a target, I'll put a picture up when I get home. The barrel isn't floated, it's an off the shelf rifle, except for the scope.

« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2008, 06:48:05 PM by stka »

Offline JKneibel

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2008, 11:06:07 PM »
possibly might want to try a different powder.  my good buddy used reloader 15 and relaoder 19 with pretty good success in his '06.  I would also suggest some Hodgden 380...not sure if that is recommended for '06, but it is by far the best powder i used in my .243. 

Offline duck slayer

• Spiked
« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2008, 09:05:42 PM »
get a nosler reloading book a lot of info in there depending on how much you want to test different loads and how much time you have. brass tends to swell so you will have to check length on every reusable brass, make sure the primer pocket is completely clean and the primers are fully seated, you can turn the necks on the brass to make sure they are completely round these steps should be done every time you reload the brass. as you probably know already different powders will change the accuracy,so will different brands of primers. bullet seat depth is also important i have always found better accuracy with the bullet just barely touching the lands. try crimping the brass that might work good for you. check how much pressure you have by looking at the primer after you shoot the primer should still look seated and where the pin hits it round not oblong or larger than the pin, if it don't look right reduce the charge a little. most important for safety reasons check the bras for stress cracks if found do not reload that brass anymore hope that helps,any questions just ask

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2008, 07:55:55 AM »
I glass bedded the rifle last week. I'm going to try it again today. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know what happens.

Offline MrMarty51

• Forked
  • Huntin`s the name,gettin`s the game.
« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2008, 08:42:33 AM »
There is also a dial indicator tool that You can get.
You lay the bullet on the bed of the tool and set the dial indicator on the slug and rotate the cartrige and the dial indicator will tell You if the bullet is straight in its casing. it should not have more that one thousandths runout for best accuracy.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2008, 06:00:55 PM »
I think the glass bedding helped. After I got the scope recentered I only shot one group, but it was ~0.75"c-c. I'm happy with that. I'll put some more rounds through it before rifle season, but I think I'm in better shape now for the long shot. After this season I'll probably play around with different powders and see if I can improve on it more.

« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2008, 06:24:05 PM by stka »

Offline Rem14-32

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Oct 07, 2008, 09:50:32 PM »
Nothing wrong with that group, Now go out and kill a 10 pointer. ;D

Offline shrub

• 6 Pointer
  • out looking for the big one
« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2008, 10:10:32 PM »
My father bought a M77MK11 All Weather about 15 years ago. We could never get that rifle to shoot less than 3 inch groups. This past year we replaced the stock with a Houge Overmolded with full bedding block, a Timmeny Trigger adjusted very light and a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40mm scope. For loads we have been shooting 200 gr. Sierra Gameking Boatails,with 43.0 Grains of Varget powder and Winchester large rifle primers. Over all cartrige length is 3.280". The rifle will now shoot 1-1.5 inch groups.
I didnt reach the top of the food chain to be a vegatarin!!!!

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 2008, 10:28:31 PM »
My father bought a M77MK11 All Weather about 15 years ago. We could never get that rifle to shoot less than 3 inch groups. This past year we replaced the stock with a Houge Overmolded with full bedding block, a Timmeny Trigger adjusted very light and a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40mm scope. For loads we have been shooting 200 gr. Sierra Gameking Boatails,with 43.0 Grains of Varget powder and Winchester large rifle primers. Over all cartrige length is 3.280". The rifle will now shoot 1-1.5 inch groups.

Shrub,

If you're reloading you're own try loading the same charge, 52.5gr of 4064 with a 165gr spbt. It packs a bit of a punch (Limb saver helps if you're long enough). But that was where this gun wanted to be when we played with charges, before I did an ugly job of glass bedding. I'm happy with it for this year. After the season I'm going to try different powders and try to bring them in a little tighter. I'm new to the whole gun hunting thing, but I figure it's the same as bow hunting, assume twice the group diameter when actually shooting something.

My trigger on my M77MKII was actually pretty good. I don't think I'd want to go much softer.

Rem 14-32,
Funny coincidence, I have a new spot to hunt this year and the land owner has been seeing a ten. BUT, it's bow only for his land, and my biggest so far is a small five, and all my deer have come with the bow. I'll have to wait and see what happens ;D.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2008, 10:34:55 PM by stka »

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2008, 10:34:10 PM »
Oh yeah, I am very happy with the outcome. Nothing will stop me from dropping a deer with this rifle. Except, maybe me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal