Author Topic: wolf hunting  (Read 19024 times)

Offline minnowguy

• 6 Pointer
wolf hunting
« on: Mar 23, 2008, 10:02:13 PM »
anyone planning on hunting wolves when they open up?

Offline POk3s

• 6 Pointer
  • Spike Killer!
Re: wolf hunting
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2008, 10:48:06 PM »
I probably won't hunt specifically for them until I start seeing more. But people in our hunting party might by wolf licenses just in case they see one. Just like they buy bear licenses.
Trent Williams

Offline BoneHead

• 8 Pointer
  • What a BoneHead!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2008, 09:27:18 AM »
stack em up boys.  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2008, 08:56:13 AM by BoneHead »

Offline Wyoming Ice

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2008, 10:58:31 PM »
 Kill them all and let God sort it out...says I !!! They sure have the means to run an elk herd out of the country.
They are a killing machine. They are going to eat something almost everyday. That is what they do.
 They need to be controlled. As everything on this big round ball does. There has to be some kind of a limit. Right now, they and the Griz are at the top of the food chain. They are the ones that have no checks. We have hunting seasons to go by and we have to abide by them. If we didn't, soon there wouldn't be any game to hunt. That has been the case in the past. But turn things around, say we do not hunt game, eventually they would thrive and eat themselves out of existence. There has to be checks and balances.
 I do not usually go off like this. I have seen a wonderful elk habitate destroyed because of predators. I am not saying that they are killing all of the game, but they sure are running them out of the country. It is a sad day when a guy sees more predator sign in an area than game sign. And this has been the case up in the Gros Ventre  where my friends and I hunt (or used to hunt).
  A few years ago, we found 8 (EIGHT) dead elk in one drainage. The only things that we could see wrong with these elk were their noses were eaten and they all had been hamstrung. Now we think that they must have been teaching the pups how to hunt. That is all that we can figure. It was a sad sight to see. To find these rotting animals was hard to take. Yes, this is nature. But can we afford to lose these numbers of game animals with absolutely no checks. I personally do not think so.
 I am by no means an expert on these matters. I have seen what I have seen in my forty some years. My family was in the livestock business and my Father was a Government and a private trapper for most of his life. I hope that this does not make me bias because of my family's history. Like I have said, I have made my own observations and have formed my own opinion on these matters.
 We can have wolves and Grizzlies, They just have to be controlled too.

The World according to Wyoming Ice... Thanks for letting me vent.... :-\
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2008, 11:02:36 PM by Wyoming Ice »

Offline MrMarty51

• Forked
  • Huntin`s the name,gettin`s the game.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2008, 11:44:12 PM »
Do`nt know what We needed them wolves for in the first place,Seems like nature had been getting along just fine without them. 8)

Offline minnowguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2008, 12:40:51 PM »
Vent away wyomiong ice thats what these forums are for. Its going to be real interesting when the hunting starts to see where and how far they have spread since each kill has to be reported. I hope they will post this info so we can see also.

Offline moski

• Nubbie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2008, 12:20:29 AM »
i want to but does anyone know what the tags are guna cost?

Offline Wyoming Ice

• Nubbie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2008, 08:13:47 AM »
i want to but does anyone know what the tags are guna cost?

Had a long talk w/ a Game Warden yesterday at my store about this. He said again, that as long as they are out of that "Trophy Area", they are just another predator.   Blast away boys !!!
 He said that there are two down in Colorado. They think they must be young males, as there are no pups to date.
 This is to take place after the 28Th, barring no law suit from the bunny lovers...  ;)

Offline moski

• Nubbie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2008, 08:40:42 AM »
right on! i,ve seen one and a lot of tracks down hyw 430 south of r.s., right out in the desert!

Offline minnowguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2008, 09:23:28 AM »
Here is a link to the G&F wolf plan it also shows the area you will need a license for when they figure out what they are going to do then. http://gf.state.wy.us/wolfinformation/wolfQ&As.pdf . Lets get some pics of them dead wolves too.

Offline minnowguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2008, 09:25:35 AM »
MrMarty51 what does MT plan on doing for there wolves?

Offline LT

• 6 Pointer
  • "You can run big boy, but you'll just die tired."
« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2008, 09:34:10 AM »
KR sent me an Idaho wolf site, I hope he posts it on here...mostly about how in the calving season the cow elk are in the actual process of giving birth and the wolves encounter her helpless and eat the calf alive as it is being born, then eat part of the female parts of the cow elk and leave her to die a slow, agonizing death. Now, I don't know what that does to you boys, but I know what it does to me and goes way beyond venting...that sucker shoulda never been introduced here, it's  gray wolf and is not native, the timber wolf is and I think we're seeing the very bad results of some ill-conceived east coast tree-hugger plan gone awry. There's an old Wyoming saying, we all know it. right?
                                                                                LT
"There are two types of men, those who live to hunt and those who gather the firewood."

Offline Wyoming Ice

• Nubbie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2008, 10:41:04 AM »
 Would that be the ol' SSS process LT ???
 Yeah, them bunny huggers think that Grizzlies are neat to see also. Well folks, I think they need to reintroduce them to California too. Afterall, that is on their state flag. They use to be native there also. After awhile they would get sick being the hunted and looking over their shoulder all the time... O man here I go again... >:( >:( >:(

Offline LT

• 6 Pointer
  • "You can run big boy, but you'll just die tired."
« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2008, 11:02:53 AM »
Yep, that's the saying...go ahead buddy, ler 'er rip! Seems the only guys willing to listen to us is EACH OTHER!  ??? I tried to find that Idaho site, but coudn't, maybe I'll write KR a PM and ask him to post it again. There's dozens of posts about how the ID G&F is manipulating elk/deer kills by wolves and calling them "lion" kills.  incredible!  ??? ??? ??? :-[ :'( We saw one of the suckers up on Fairfield above the Sinks last year just before deer season opened....lone black-colored without a collar. 200 yards out and me with s 38 snub nose.
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2008, 11:16:11 AM by icensnowmonster »
"There are two types of men, those who live to hunt and those who gather the firewood."

Offline BottomDweller

• 6 Pointer
  • rocky mountain ninja
« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2008, 11:48:14 AM »
i am ready.  bigice, when you say they will be considered just predators like coyotes, that includes everything but grand teton and yellowstone nat'l parks, right?
~it's a stump, it's a tree, no it's me~

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal