Author Topic: Bow Noise Help  (Read 2236 times)

Offline hunterbret9

• Nubbie
Bow Noise Help
« on: Sep 05, 2007, 04:13:09 PM »
Hello- I am shooting a fairly old bow but it makes a horrible noise when i draw if the riser gets moist, wet or damp.  It would sure end any good opportunity.  I was wondering if anyone could provide some advice for what I could do to get rid of the noise whether it be cleaning, lubricants, etc..

I can't afford a new bow so I have to stick with this one.  It shoots real well for me minus the noise.  Any help is appreciated.
Bret

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Re: Bow Noise Help
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2007, 06:33:27 AM »
Coat your riser with wax and then chapstick. Same with the arrow rest. It will quiet it right down.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline hunterbret9

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2007, 03:08:44 PM »
Thanks adkRoy.  I have heard and tried a few different things but will give that a try. 
Bret

Offline elkcrazedfrk

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2007, 06:45:58 PM »
the wax and chapstick work as long as weather is cool..I would glue felt to the riser.They make rubber nipples that go over the rest prongs..

Offline BottomDweller

• 6 Pointer
  • rocky mountain ninja
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2007, 07:15:02 AM »
i put moleskin on my ripcord rest, which works great in dry weather, but as soon as the felt/moleskin got wet, it would cause a long, violin-like tone when my carbon arrow passed across it.  i am looking at getting some of this plastic coating you apply to the rest yourself - that should work well in all conditions
~it's a stump, it's a tree, no it's me~

upstatehunter

« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
 :)

The noise could be coming from the rest, but would think it may be the axles on the cams, tranfering the noise through the limbs to the riser. I had a golden eagle like that, new axles and some luberplate water proof grease it stopped. My brother in law is still using it today and works fine. also check the limb pokets for lube and wear, older one cams tipp the string so much it cants the cam pulling the limb at an angle, wearing one side of the pocket. hence why allot of bow companies with pivoting limb pockets.
hope you fix the problem, would hate for a lost chance at a trophy.
Scott

Offline MZukovsky

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2008, 10:53:30 AM »
I agree 100% with upstatehunter.

Offline BottomDweller

• 6 Pointer
  • rocky mountain ninja
« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2008, 01:55:48 PM »
thanks for the advice, guys.  i'll look into it a little bit further.   :)
~it's a stump, it's a tree, no it's me~

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal