Author Topic: Canada Geese in Hayfields  (Read 7935 times)

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
Canada Geese in Hayfields
« on: Mar 29, 2009, 08:08:29 PM »
Decided to take up Goose Hunting this year. I plan on hunting Canada Geese in a GREEN hayfield in september; I'm looking for suggestions on how to blend in with the Green Grass?   I'm worried about the Brown Camo Patterns standing out against the green fields and spooking the geese??

Any advice is much appreciated
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2009, 01:13:51 PM by Issiah »

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
Re: Canadian Geese in Hayfields
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2009, 09:03:21 PM »
do you have a layout blind? if not it is definitely a good investment...if you get/have one they have blind kits theat you can get through cabelas in all kinds of grasses im sure they have a green one....killer weed i think its called

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2009, 03:09:48 PM »
Friend of mine was saying he puts gras on top of his layout blind...    Gonna have to get one thank you...

Offline Adam Bomb

• Forked
  • In Pursuit
« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2009, 08:51:24 AM »
Definitely get a layout for goose hunting. Be sure to camoflage it well as it will make a big difference in your succsess. Be sure to mud in your blind as well as the artificial grass to take the glare off it. Then when your at the fieild, adding some of the natural vegetation is always a good idea.
Ya gotta kill em before ya can grill em!
Adam

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2009, 02:25:39 PM »
Seems like no matter what I do a blind would stick out like a sore thumb in the middle of a green hayfield. Would it be better to setup on the edges and put my blind in the Tall Grass and weeds or will the geese shy from landing close to tall grass where danger may lurk?

Offline Adam Bomb

• Forked
  • In Pursuit
« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2009, 07:21:09 PM »
I would try and stay in the field if you can. Seems most times geese like to go to the high spot in the field, which always seems to be in the middle, well away from dangers. Gives them a good vantage point. If you can get a layout in there and camo it up with natural vegetations, then you should be fine IMO. If guys can hunt picked soy bean feilds, then you can hunt alphalfa!

As far as setting up on the edges, that will depend on the situation IMO. If its a ditchbank between two fields with grass, then i say you can  make it work. If you stiting along the edges and theres woods, then not so much. More than likely would be pass shooting. Never had any luck getting birds to land next to the woods.
Adam

Offline drake30

• Nubbie
  • why not?
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2009, 12:51:49 AM »
hey issiah, i guided goose hunts for 15 years... many in hayfields! i reccomend a "low profile" layout blind and to get the natural vegetation from the edge of the field. u can always cut the day before or so. i used to keep it in garbage bags to put on the layout blinds. i've never been a fan of the fake stuff in a hayfield! AB was right... mud up your blinds before season!!! you can also build a blind in a hayfield prior to season, or use the haybale blinds. if u don't have a low ditch in the middle of the field i reccomend getting right out there!!! it's a hard thing to accept for alot of new goose hunters, but well worth the extra effort my friend. i hunt picked pickle and bean fields that have NOTHING! a hayfield is an easy hide to me!!
population control is my passion!

Offline Adam Bomb

• Forked
  • In Pursuit
« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2009, 03:39:29 PM »
Right on Drake.... The lower the profile the better, but I think geese can deal with a little bit of a profile sticking up as long as it blends in with the natural vegetation. Its a layout with nothing done to it that sticks out like a sore thumb and flares birds. You "brush" in the blind with the surrounding natural vegetation, keep movement to aboslute minimums, the propper spread, flagging and calling and you have yourself set up for succsess. Dont be affraid to reposition your spread or where you are in conjunction to your spread when the birds work the fields. Ive seen it where they come in work great, but want to set down off to one side, etc. Adjust decoys, still no difference. So, i then move the layouts to where they wanna land and bam, in your face shooting.
Adam

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2009, 04:57:39 PM »
Really appreciate the info guys!  There is a ditch running down the middle of the hayfields but it isn't mowed and is full of weeds; only 10 yards across though...   It is all new to me and I probably need a little experience to start "Seeing the Light".   I guess I'll invest in a low profile laydown blind and cover with weeds from the edge of field to start.  Probably have another dozen questions for you guys...   Again thanks for the help!

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Jul 27, 2009, 05:04:36 PM »
Wondering if anyone could share advice on where to position my blind?   In the middle of the spread  or off to the side?

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Jul 27, 2009, 09:35:17 PM »
ISSAIH-

it really depends on the wind you have the way the birds are sucking into the spread, i like to set as center as i can and surrond myself with deeks. as later in the season birds are shy and tend to pinpoint where your callin is originated at. hunting cross winds i like to set up towards the edge of the spread to let the birds suck in and set up to get a ground swap shot.

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Jul 28, 2009, 05:32:37 AM »
Canada geese, Not Canadian geese, they don't have citizenship.

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
Re: Canada Geese in Hayfields
« Reply #12 on: Jul 29, 2009, 06:31:07 PM »
Any of you guys have any luck with silhouettes....i like the price... i got almost a dozen shells and i was wondering if they can be used in combination with the silhouettes or not.....shells are great they are just a little pricy and dont even get me started on the price of full-bodies....luckily i found almost all of my shells laying in the road must have flown out of peoples trucks.....thanks for any info

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Jul 29, 2009, 07:56:47 PM »
Nothing wrong with sillies.  They help to bulk out the spread, give you more poses for cheap, and provide the illusion of motion as the flock passes over them.
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Jul 29, 2009, 09:09:14 PM »
thanks i might have to grab a dozen or two....just got my new macks pw catalog in the mail so i started looking for more things to spend money on  ::) ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal