Author Topic: Updates on bow so far??  (Read 11668 times)

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
Re: Updates on bow so far??
« Reply #45 on: Oct 19, 2012, 06:21:41 AM »
had a hell of an experience last night.  i ran the grunt call a few times before sunset.  right around 6:10 i hear a deer approaching, slowly but surely.  he finally shows himself - a 4 or 6 pointer w/ a decent body (130 - 140 lbs).  not shooting this one as i'll go crazy not hunting the next 2+ weeks unless i shoot one of the 8+ pointers i have on the trail cam.

so i take some video of him and let him walk.  as he's leaving, i hear a branch break from where he came from.  another deer.  a couple minutes pass and i hear steps.  then nothing, then finally more steps.  the deer heads right under the hemlock below my stand.  at this point it's about 6:20 - 6:25 and hardly ANY light left.  finally the deer starts moving again and eventually steps out.  a GIANT wall hanger less than 25 yards away.  but there were so many branches and whips from me to him and w/ the minimal amount of light, i couldn't draw.  i watched as the big body slowly walked off. 

hopefully we will meet again soon  :)

the smaller buck came back last night, this time w/ no calling and about 75 yards away from saturday's stand.  he came in to the red acorns at 5:05.  he walked in feeding to 15 yards, then smelled either where i had stepped or touched a branch, and became very alert.  he stood there for a few minutes, licking his nose, smelling the air, looking around, then walked back the way he came. 

i waited a half hour and grunted a few times.  around 6:05 he came back around from behind me (he had circled me).   this time he was very alert, not interested in feeding at all.  he walked VERY slowly and often stood still for minutes at a time. 

no sign of the big boy...i don't know how much longer i can hold off on pulling the trigger!!

here's some footage of the buck.  a decent sized 5 pointer.

Offline dt5150

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #46 on: Oct 19, 2012, 07:18:51 AM »
whack him. you can chase the 2 big boys with your muzzleloader. bird in hand...

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #47 on: Oct 19, 2012, 07:22:28 AM »
Nice footage.. ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #48 on: Oct 19, 2012, 07:40:19 AM »
wow what are you waiting for....that was awesome to have able to watch.......I say take em out....

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #49 on: Oct 19, 2012, 09:35:40 AM »
Keep it up buddy, looks like you and I rubbed off on each other haha. For real though only studs with my gun tags !
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #50 on: Oct 19, 2012, 02:46:29 PM »
Great video!  I've only been able to get out one other time since my opening day 4 pointer.  Had a doe and two little ones walk right under my stand.  I'll get out on Sunday morning. 

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #51 on: Oct 19, 2012, 02:57:29 PM »
Nice job on the video.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #52 on: Oct 19, 2012, 05:35:45 PM »
I can't get over the massive quantity of huge scrapes and shredded rubs I have seen in the last few days! Things are starting to heat up! All the scrapes besides to have been on the edge of tote roads and skidder trails tight to thick hemlock cover and blueberry slash licking branches above are all bent and torn.

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #53 on: Oct 19, 2012, 05:36:43 PM »
when does your season start back up???

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #54 on: Oct 19, 2012, 05:39:53 PM »
I can start rifle hunting Maine on the 29th I will be off work for about a month ;D. I will hunt Maine hard for a week then when ML opens on the 3rd in NH I will come back and stick with that...........

Offline 44MAG

• Spiked
  • Nashua, NH
« Reply #55 on: Oct 19, 2012, 08:06:55 PM »
I buy the archery "special deer tag" for the extra $16.00 just for that very reason. In case I see a small buck like that. I buy all the tags NH offers. I can take either 3 bucks and two doe's or 3 doe's and two bucks. Never have to worry about not be able to hunt if I fill a tag. I have yet to be able to fill them all but did come close one year taken four. Then there is the two tags I get for NY.

Yep, I spend a lot of time hunting.  8)
Mathews Monster XLR8 - 28" Draw / 65 lbs / 336 fps
Carbon Express Hunter - 250 & G5 - 100 gr Tekan
G5 - Optix XR2 Sights / Fuse Axium Stabilizer / QAD HD Rest
Scott Rhino XT Release / Bow Force Mapped

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #56 on: Oct 20, 2012, 06:43:47 AM »
I have filled them all a few times.I used both archery tags. I am all set with unit m tags. Not to exciting to me to go out strictly for does. I don't like the fact they get such an influx of hunters either. I would be pissed if L got extra tags so I won't do it to unit m guys. Just my opinion

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #57 on: Oct 21, 2012, 08:42:06 AM »
I can start rifle hunting Maine on the 29th I will be off work for about a month ;D. I will hunt Maine hard for a week then when ML opens on the 3rd in NH I will come back and stick with that...........

no work for a month?!  now i see why you were fine w/ tagging out so early!  bust your ass in october to take november off - atta boy   ;D

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #58 on: Oct 21, 2012, 08:45:07 AM »
I buy the archery "special deer tag" for the extra $16.00 just for that very reason. In case I see a small buck like that. I buy all the tags NH offers. I can take either 3 bucks and two doe's or 3 doe's and two bucks. Never have to worry about not be able to hunt if I fill a tag. I have yet to be able to fill them all but did come close one year taken four. Then there is the two tags I get for NY.

Yep, I spend a lot of time hunting.  8)

i buy the special deer tag too - and i already used it.  if i took the 5 pointer i would have been done in NH until november.  with three deer in the freezer (and a fourth yesterday), it's making it a lot easier to pass on the smaller bucks!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #59 on: Oct 21, 2012, 09:14:55 AM »
no work for a month?!  now i see why you were fine w/ tagging out so early!  bust your ass in october to take november off - atta boy   ;D

Yup!   8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal