Author Topic: Nice Curves  (Read 125751 times)

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
Re: Nice (Re)Curves
« Reply #165 on: Jul 20, 2013, 10:11:29 PM »
I was checking out replacement covers, should order one before it goes all the way through. The other side is still good. ??? You should see my broadhead target. ;D
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: Jul 26, 2013, 03:36:37 PM »
Been shooting only the 45# Hunter for several days now, one arrow, one shot at a time out to 15+ yds; muscles have caught up to the extra weight and I can shoot with good form for as long as I want without tiring. What it really comes down to is the mental aspect, focus and execution; the only thing you can think about is where you want to hit, the rest has to be automatic. When both come together I hit right where I want.

The new strings came in but the serving is too big, sent them back to be redone with .019 Halo; don't know why he used .024 this time, last strings were the same(12 stand) and the .019 fits the nocks good. I should be used to this bow by the time I get them back and ready to tune.

The hole in the target is getting bigger, guess I better order the new cover. ;)
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: Jul 26, 2013, 03:52:28 PM »
Forget to mention I found another 1968 Bear recurve to add to my collection of bows built the year I was born, a 44# Kodiak Hunter in really nice shape; will post pics when it gets here.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: Jul 28, 2013, 01:42:56 PM »
Been working on my execution, or form, with the 45# bow the last couple days, blank bail shooting at close range with my eyes closed; no need to worry about aiming just think about doing everything right consistently. Gonna keep at it for at least a week or until the new strings come back. Probably a good idea because I went right from the 40#er to this bow without much form work to get used to it, already feeling much more comfortable with the bow. Its just boring, need to break it up and shoot several times a day if time allows. :-\

New target cover has been ordered. 8)
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: Jul 31, 2013, 02:51:03 PM »
Took a few shots from 12 yds or so today after some blank bail shooting. Working in my form with the heavier bow really worked, hitting right where I wanted with nice tight groups. I'll stick with it a few more days, then the new strings should be here so I can tune. Should be ready to go by hunting season, will limit myself to 15 yd shots or less.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #170 on: Jul 31, 2013, 03:35:28 PM »
nice, I should really get out and start shooting again, would love to harvest one with the recurve, not to sure where I would go though...
Take a Kid outside...

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: Jul 31, 2013, 03:51:05 PM »
I've been thinking the same thing. Not sure I want to hunt from a treestand with a recurve yet, will probably still hunt or use one of the ground blinds I have made to start. Just built one near where a big buck was bedding last Fall, a good narrow spot he travels through; been lots of rubs there the last couple seasons, too thick for a treestand with the trees that are big enough. Then I have to decide about my Ohio hunt, if I can practice enough from an elevated position and feel confident I will try it there.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: Aug 15, 2013, 11:02:41 PM »
Haven't had  much time to shoot lately, mostly trying to get at least a little blank bale shooting in every other day and a little bit from 10-15 yds when I can. The strings came back in the mail with the thinner center serving, much better nock fit, just about perfect. Strung up the bow, brace is 7 5/8", had it at 7 1/4" with the factory string. What a difference shooting it, much quieter, and the bow seems easier to draw, might have something to do with the low stretch string. Doesn't look like I have to do much tuning, arrows were flying really straight, even bare shafts; need to get outside and see how the bare shaft does at longer distances. It was showing a little weak sometimes but I was too close to tell enough, arrows may need a little cutting. Nocks were a little tight with the string that came with the bow, so that might have something to do with the improvement in arrow flight.

The latest addition to my recurve collection is a really nice, clean Bear Kodiak Hunter made in 1968, 44# @ 28". Need to get a string for it so I can try shooting it, maybe I'll hunt with it at some point, would be cool to kill something with a bow as old as I am.

Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: Aug 17, 2013, 09:49:22 PM »
Had some time to shoot some from 10-12 yds with the new string, really like how it shoots now, a bit faster and much quieter. Grouping good and hitting the other arrows several times(makes a clank), should be ready to hunt after I get it fine tuned, its pretty close now. The string settled in and the brace is now 7.5" so I have a little more to play with if needed for tuning. First I need to adjust nock height, then see how weak the arrows are; may not have to cut them, adding string silencers might be enough if they are just a little weak(looks that way).

Picked up another good book that I'm almost finished with, its pretty short. Archery, especially shooting instinctively, becomes more mental than physical once you learn good form. You need to be in the right frame of mind to make the shot happen consistently. The Mental Mechanics of Archery was recommended and should really help, like what I have read so far.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #174 on: Aug 18, 2013, 06:40:45 AM »
That Kodiak looks great ; Will make for a great addition to the family ; Yup I got to agree getting time for a new cover on the target  ;D

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: Aug 18, 2013, 06:35:33 PM »
I really like the old Bear bows.

Have the new target cover, just need to swap it out, probably after Labor Day when things slow down. ;D

Shot the Hunter a bunch today out to 15 yds and shot the best I have with it yet, starting to feel confident about hunting with it. 8)
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Deadeyez

• 6 Pointer
  • Bow Hunting Addict
« Reply #176 on: Aug 24, 2013, 04:19:33 PM »
Wow, that kodiak looks to be in mint cond!  Great posts CAPT JJ!  Looks like your groups are tight!
THWWWACK         Never Back Up Never Back Down

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: Aug 24, 2013, 09:43:20 PM »
Thanks Deadeyez, I check the auction listing when I can and finally found one that I wanted, its in great shape for being 45 years old.

Hoping to get the groups tighter, especially at longer distance by getting it tuned better, started it today. First I raised the nock point 1/8", wanted to make sure that arrow hadn't been kicking up from hitting the shelf, I think it was, the bow got quieter and the bare shafts were slightly nock high. I moved it up another 1/8" and it didn't change much, so I think it might need to be somewhere in the middle, but I left it for now. Shafts were also nock left(weak spine), so I cut off 1/4", it got better; cut off another and its really close. Still have to add the wool string silencers, added weight will help get it closer. Once I do that I'll shoot it for a few days then finish tuning, slightly weak and nock high is supposed to be good with a bare shaft, feathers will stiffen the arrow a little.

Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: Aug 26, 2013, 04:44:30 PM »
Had some time to shoot today and I was shooting pretty good so I figured I should do more tuning. Added the string silencers and the little bit of weight on the string had the bare shafts pretty straight side to side, maybe a tiny bit weak, good there. Then I went to the nocking point, lowered it 1/8" and it got better, another 1/16" and the were flying pretty flat, just a touch nock high. Next I will try some broadheads and if they are flying well(they should) I will be all set; then I will take off the brass nock and tie them on, one above and one below so the arrow won't slide down when hunting.

The muskox wool(qiviut) silencers made a real difference, took away the string twang. I looked at them on one archery website and they are expensive, so I found a site that sells "qiviut" wool yarn to make my own. Stll not cheap, but for the price of 2 sets I have enough yarn to last me years. 8)

The 45 lb Hunter is shooting like the 40 lb X-200 now that it is tuned; tuning makes the bow much more forgiving. Have another month to practice before the season opens, I should be ready by then.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2013, 11:05:03 AM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: Aug 29, 2013, 11:20:43 AM »
Decided my nock height was good so I tied on two nocks, one above and one below(so nocked arrow won't slide down while hunting). Turns out that switching from the brass nock to the lighter tied on nocks was enough to make the arrows a little weak. So I tried dropping down from 125 to 100 grain points and that had them flying nearly perfect. Not sure if I am going to stick with the 100 grains or try cutting another 1/4" off so I can stick with the 125s, since the broadheads I bought last Spring are 125s. With the 100s the bow is a little bit louder(still pretty quiet) but it shoots flatter. I am going to try shooting through paper with the fletched arrows before I decide.

Found a new way to tie on nocks that I like. I had been using dental floss but being thin it slips under the nock and changes the fit on the string. A really good instinctive shooter I have been PMing with on another forum gave me the link to this video, I tried it and it works great. The tied on nocks can be twisted up and down the string to adjust nock height, so I can stop using the brass nocks and won't have the problem of having to retune for spine anymore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YlYqDiJN8U

Tried some bare shafts after getting the nocks tied on right after a few tries, ended up robin hooding one of the shafts at 15 yds. Guess I better order some more, had planned on it anyway. ;D

Hybrid longbow in hand.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal