Author Topic: claimer treestand  (Read 5219 times)

Offline fatman

• 6 Pointer
  • Always Expect The Unexpected
Re: claimer treestand
« Reply #30 on: Oct 19, 2010, 09:20:39 PM »
I love the comfort of a the tree lounge. http://www.treelounge.com/  I think hands down they are great.  I have tried several others and some have good points and bad points.  I personally prefer a ladder stand and have several.  It does not matter what stand you use,caution is the key.  I was taking down a ladder stand a few years ago and had a bad experience.  I had unstrapped the top and was proceeding down the ladder, when the stand sprung away from the tree and we both went backwards.  We had a bad wind storm and the tree stand was bound into the tree.  I never realize it until it was to late.  There I laid on the forest floor with 2 crushed Vertebrae.  I had no cell phone service and I never told my wife what I was doing that day.  I sucked it up and walked over one mile to my truck. Walking across the plowed field was the worse.  Then I drove my self to the hospital.  No deer that year for me.  The next year I climbed back in the tree stand and shot 1 buck and 3 does opening day and another buck a week later.  And yes I had tags for all of them.
No matter how big a deer is. You can only put a little piece on your fork at a time.

Offline Buckseeker

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #31 on: Oct 20, 2010, 08:26:35 PM »
summit goliath.  worth every penny.  there are lighter and more compact stands out there, but if you have an idea of where you are going and plan on sitting for a while, buy the goliath.  I can go on forever about this stand, but the comfort allows me to sit longer and see more deer.  i also have a lone wolf climber that is lighter and more compact which I use to find new areas that I am not as familiar with.  lone wolf is nice....nice and expensive and doesn't hold a candle to summit. 

Offline bigb2004

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #32 on: Oct 21, 2010, 05:21:07 AM »
Well I pulled the trigger, order the summit Titan yesterday and the hunter safety system reversible harness vest. Now just got to tell the little lady ;D. Maybe she'll by the old "I've had that" line  ::) ;) ::)

Offline Bigwitt

• Forked
« Reply #33 on: Oct 21, 2010, 09:22:06 AM »
Well I pulled the trigger, order the summit Titan yesterday and the hunter safety system reversible harness vest. Now just got to tell the little lady ;D. Maybe she'll by the old "I've had that" line  ::) ;) ::)

Get rid of the lady if she gives you and crap, keep the tree stand and HSS harness ;) Good luck

Offline bigb2004

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #34 on: Oct 27, 2010, 08:44:56 AM »
Well my new stand came yesterday, 3 days early. Unfortunately I had to work late and didn't get home till late and didn't even take time to open the box. Will say its a big box. Hoping to get home normal time tonight an maybe claim a tree or two. Can't wait to get hunting this weekend.

Offline pieman1998

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #35 on: Oct 27, 2010, 09:17:53 AM »
never do ladder stand by your self :'(
love the outdoors

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #36 on: Oct 27, 2010, 09:22:59 AM »
why not? Ladders are as easy as it gets.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #37 on: Oct 27, 2010, 09:37:41 AM »
I put a buddy stand up alone, that was fun. Had to throw a rope over a limb and use that to hoist a block and tackle to get the stand up and then maneuver it by hand. Comparatively speaking, ladders are pretty easy to do alone, have used a rope to get them up, no block and tackle needed.

FrankM

« Reply #38 on: Oct 27, 2010, 09:44:57 AM »
I have had some close calls putting up ladder stands by myself.   They are not totally secure until you cinch the top strap tight.  Those preliminary straps and the little bar that goes to the tree part way up are useless when the leverage of a 270lb pusgut is applied to the top steps.  Fortunately I have never got hurt but since my last close call I have made it a point to always have someone help out when installing or moving ladder stands.  There is no cell phone service out on my land so if I ever fell I could lay there for days until someone found me.  Also regarding climbers, I just gave away my summit viper.  I never felt safe ascending or descending with it.  I am in my mid-fifties and rather large and I just don't have the agility necessary to use a climber.  My favorite stands now are of my own design.  I have several of them on my property and on our lease.  They are ladder stands made out of pressure treated lumber with a 32" square platform, a nice bench seat and hip high guardrail that is great for leaning against for a bow shot or makes a great gun rest for rifle.  These definitely take at least 2 men to put up and take down safely but they are really nice to hunt out of. 

Offline adksavage

• Forked
« Reply #39 on: Oct 27, 2010, 05:34:51 PM »
I use a older climber that lets you face the tree sitting. It has served me very well. The climber has all my weight on the end away from the tree base. So I do not worry about stepping to close to the tree trunk. That's when you loose stand grip. Also it allows me to use the tree I'm in to be used between the animal and myself. Great for drawing my bow when the deer is behind it or using the tree for a steady rest for the rifle shots. I believe Summit also makes a newer version of the one I own. ;)

Offline bigb2004

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #40 on: Oct 30, 2010, 05:08:57 AM »
I've took one stand down myself.  Not doing that again. I have got to clam anything with this yet. Hoping to get out after work. The old lady was pissed I got it. Only because she was getting me one for my birthday the 6th of December.  O well I told her she could go buy me the muzzleloader I've been wanting.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #41 on: Oct 30, 2010, 08:36:31 AM »
Good luck with it and be safe Big!!  She should be happy, you got your present and early enough to use it. Now she can just get a card.... ;D

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #42 on: Oct 30, 2010, 08:18:47 PM »
I love the comfort of a the tree lounge. http://www.treelounge.com/  I think hands down they are great.  I have tried several others and some have good points and bad points.  I personally prefer a ladder stand and have several.  It does not matter what stand you use,caution is the key.  I was taking down a ladder stand a few years ago and had a bad experience.  I had unstrapped the top and was proceeding down the ladder, when the stand sprung away from the tree and we both went backwards.  We had a bad wind storm and the tree stand was bound into the tree.  I never realize it until it was to late.  There I laid on the forest floor with 2 crushed Vertebrae.  I had no cell phone service and I never told my wife what I was doing that day.  I sucked it up and walked over one mile to my truck. Walking across the plowed field was the worse.  Then I drove my self to the hospital.  No deer that year for me.  The next year I climbed back in the tree stand and shot 1 buck and 3 does opening day and another buck a week later.  And yes I had tags for all of them.

I have allways wanted one of those...  I got the free video like 15 years ago.....  I'm in love with Margaret... :o :o ;D ;D ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline fatman

• 6 Pointer
  • Always Expect The Unexpected
« Reply #43 on: Oct 30, 2010, 09:19:43 PM »
That's Funny.  I forgot all about her in the video. 
No matter how big a deer is. You can only put a little piece on your fork at a time.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #44 on: Oct 31, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
You will be please with the Titan. Good luck with the muzzleloader. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal