Author Topic: claimer treestand  (Read 5220 times)

Offline bigb2004

• 6 Pointer
claimer treestand
« on: Oct 18, 2010, 03:19:13 PM »
I'm looking in to getting a claiming treestand. I tryed an API that was first stand I claimed with, it felt good and safe but not a lot of room. Just looking to see what everyone else was using. I'm a bigger guy, 6'4" 305lb.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: claimer treestand
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2010, 03:30:56 PM »
I perfer ladder stands, but I picked up a used Summit climber, I like it but wouldn't want to use it every time out.

Offline bigb2004

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2010, 03:44:36 PM »
I've got a few ladders stands on private land but always have some state land I hunt and can't get a ladder in and other land that people don't want ladders stands but okay using claimers.

Offline DOORGUY

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2010, 03:52:28 PM »
Last climber I used was eight years ago, took 18' shortcut to the ground :(,  one week in ICU two weeks in regular hospital bed.If you buy one wear your harness at all times, especially going up and down and make sure all pins, cables and attachment points are secure! Now  I primarily hunt from ladder stands or ground blinds and have made my only two bow kills using these methods however am seriously considering getting back on the horse that bucked me so to speak since climbers offer so much more versatility and opportunity. let us know what you decide and how you make out.

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2010, 04:08:41 PM »
i love my summit viper

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2010, 04:52:24 PM »
I personally dont like them, yes there is a time and a place where they are invaluble but most of the time they are just a pain, having said that I do own one and do use it when the oppurtunity is rght and I LOVE the fact that on the summits the have those foot stirrup thigs so you dont hafta use straps on your toes and bungees on your heels and all that junk. Summits are rugged as heck too for a big guy like you. Im 5'8 175 lbs. so the whole durability thing is not so much an issue.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline bigb2004

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2010, 05:24:27 PM »
Sorry to hear that doorguy. How did you fall? If You don't mine me asking. And what kind of claimer were you using?

Aquaassassin. I'm not looking to use it all the time, Just When Its useful. Those straps were one thinking I didn't like about the API. But I liked how the spikes want in the tree. Dose the bigger ones on summits dig in as good?

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2010, 05:37:03 PM »
my API definatley dug better then my summit climber, but overall I like the summits a lot better, the API did have a nice shrink wrapped chain to as opposed to the summit with the rubber. The API I sold had very sharp huge teeth on it and my summit is far from that but holds great, doesnt pretty much kill the tree like the API too.

Offline bigb2004

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2010, 05:48:04 PM »
I know with the chain on the API you can fit any tree with very little problem to keep level. How dose the summit with the cable fit the trees?

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2010, 06:20:57 PM »
cable works fine just cant get it quite as fine tuned the spacing is further apart than on the api chain

Offline bucksnort

• 8 Pointer
  • mealworm on the shanty
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2010, 06:21:29 PM »
i'm not quite as big as you but i love my summit climber,its very comfy and lite weight.
oh yeah buzzy...he's a racker

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT

Offline Cheeks13

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2010, 06:32:07 PM »
Two words... Summit Viper!!!! Two more words.... Cheeks out!!! 8)
"You see it your way... I see it the way it is."

halfrack33

« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2010, 08:46:24 PM »
If you get one MAKE SURE to attach the top and bottom with a rope or something similar. They might even come with something now, but mine didn't and the bottom slid 25 feet down the tree on me once. Fortunately it was one of the 6 times someone has ever been deer hunting with me. Make sure you check the weight restriction too. I think mine was only up to 300 lbs and being 305, that could be a concern.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2010, 08:53:02 PM »
I am a summit man myself. I own the open shot and viper model with no complaints. I had purchased a API grand slam climber new in the box but never used it. Long story makes me angry just thinking about it.

halfrack33

« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2010, 08:54:07 PM »
I am a summit man myself. I own the open shot and viper model with no complaints. I had purchased a API grand slam climber new in the box but never used it. Long story makes me angry just thinking about it.

They don't interfere with the bow at all?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal