Author Topic: A Very Disturbing Encounter.  (Read 10022 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: A Very Disturbing Encounter.
« Reply #15 on: Oct 18, 2010, 12:23:37 PM »
I just want to say I think he did the right thing by not shooting at it not knowing exactly what it was...  Next time bring a bigger spot light...
Just my 2cents.. 8) 8)
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2010, 02:50:00 PM by Raquettedacker »
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline bigb2004

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2010, 12:38:30 PM »
I say shoot then ask question.  Your life and kid's life is in danger. Shoot it then find out what it was. He gave it warning by screaming and fighting his flash light. Even if human you better say something your be ready to me your maker

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Oct 18, 2010, 12:47:57 PM »
I say shoot then ask question.  Your life and kid's life is in danger. Shoot it then find out what it was. He gave it warning by screaming and fighting his flash light. Even if human you better say something your be ready to me your maker

What danger? They were in a tree right? The right choice seems to have been made here, but I would be tempted to go back and try again perhaps without the child and with a better light. Perhaps another adult with a firearm  My .02
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline Bigwitt

• Forked
« Reply #18 on: Oct 18, 2010, 12:53:01 PM »
We all know the risks of going hunting and dealing with wild animals, they were in a tree so unless dogs have learned to climb trees or ladders there is no reason to shoot unless you are 100% sure of your target and what is behind it. Isn't that one of the first leasons we learn in the hunters saftey course? I'm not saying that isn't a scary situation to be in but what happened IMO is the best case scenerio. Maybe they should make us take that hunters saftey course every few years......

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Oct 18, 2010, 12:58:42 PM »
At another place I use to live at I open my front door one morning to let my dog out and there teeth bared and growling was a coyote on my front steps!. Needless to say I slambed the front door and went to get my shotgun! It was gone when I returned. That summer was the summer of the yote for us. The yotes where seen multiple times on the farm and even went in the barn with the horses. They circled the indoor arnea one night with my wife and here hosre in side!

Offline bigb2004

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Oct 18, 2010, 01:21:07 PM »
If he didn't have a big enough flashlight then why was he hunting at night? (Nothing against skta or your friend). I know he did the right thing for being in a treestand. But what if you were on the ground and couldn't tell what was there, but growling at you. You telling me if it didn't back down with you yelling at it, you wouldn't shoot? I know you should always know what you are shooting at and behind it and around. But I draw the line when I feel I'm in danger your my kids in danger.  ( I know I little off topic but I want to to get that off my chest. )

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 18, 2010, 01:27:36 PM »
Coyotes around me are losing their fear of humans. I had one come out into a field I was walking across and he did not spook. He kept on walking towards me. I started firing my pistol and the thing just stood there. After the 4 th shot it finally turned and walked into the woods. This was at 2 in the afternoon.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #22 on: Oct 18, 2010, 02:06:15 PM »
The stand is on the edge of a pasture, with a large objective lens (40mm+) it's easy to see to shoot in the open especially with moon light, I've done it. Behind the stand is pretty thick underbrush. He has a small varmint light, but didn't have it mounted, he was using it as a flashlight and his daughters job was to spot light the coyotes so he could see them even better to shoot them. I don't know why he couldn't get a good enough look at it.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #23 on: Oct 18, 2010, 02:08:44 PM »
I'm going to bow hunt Wednesday, then meet him at the house and head out to see what we can call in.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #24 on: Oct 18, 2010, 04:41:18 PM »
LOL, if it was a human growling at you, you might be doing them a big favor ;D

good point
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline bucksnort

• 8 Pointer
  • mealworm on the shanty
« Reply #25 on: Oct 18, 2010, 06:29:12 PM »
Anything that growls at me when I'm in my tree stand (specially with my 11 yr old daughter) has made a very bad decision...
that about says it for me.daughter or not if something is trying to put the stalk on me in the dark and makes the mistake of growling at me its toast
oh yeah buzzy...he's a racker

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT

Offline howesfc

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Oct 18, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
For personal protection I carry my 7" KA-BAR (Olean,NY). ;)
I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier. 11B40 Scout NYARNG RET.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #27 on: Oct 18, 2010, 07:39:55 PM »
OK I had to chuckle, All these big macho hunters and your shooting at a growl...Sorry no offense to anyone....Just struck me funny.
I was under the impression that if he was hunting after dark he would have had a big enough light, just that it was in the brush and couldn't get a good look at it.

Made me think of when I was about 12, my Dad and I were at camp. It was 4 miles in off a two lane on a old logging company road. It was an old school bus with a 12 X 14 addition. We were sitting there reading by the gas lights and Dad wanted another beer..... ::) Guess who's job that was.... ;)
I opened the door to get to the gas refridge. There between the door and the fridge was a quite large bear. I just stepped back in, grabbed the Smith&Wesson
off the table and opened the door back up. He hadn't left, in fact had knocked the fridge over.... :o   I don't think I was aiming but, a couple quick shots and he woofed
and ran. I looked at my Dad and he was just smiling, he said and I'll never forget it.....You invite him for dinner??? LOL  Then he got real mad when I told him the fridge was on it's side..... ;D

Offline howesfc

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #28 on: Oct 18, 2010, 08:10:39 PM »
You Know Your A Redneck When (Read Post Above). ;D
I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier. 11B40 Scout NYARNG RET.

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #29 on: Oct 18, 2010, 08:12:10 PM »
LOL!!!
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal