Author Topic: First Deer with a Bow....  (Read 6158 times)

Offline maineduckhunter

• 12 Pointer
  • 2008 8 pt.
First Deer with a Bow....
« on: Sep 15, 2009, 08:39:40 AM »
So I got my first deer with a bow yesterday afternoon.  Had this nice doe come and feed under an apple tree.  She gave me my first shot at about 8-10 yards...I pulled back, put the pin on her and released the arrow, too bad I didn't look thru the peep sight....but she gave me another chance, she walked right towards me and stopped broad side at about 5 yards, this time I looked thru the peep and put the pin on her and released.  She ran to the right with tail down and right into another shooting lane and stood there broad side at about 20 yards...I launched another one, missing her and she ran off.  I soon heard her lay down.  After a short tracking job and team effort gut this is what I got....and oh yeah...this was only my 3rd sit....beginners luck I guess..... ;)

Offline brace

• 10 Pointer
  • Is it Friday yet??
Re: First Deer with a Bow....
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2009, 08:45:42 AM »
Well done MDB!!  Looks like your first arrow did the job nicely. 
   Nil Carborundum Illigetimi

halfrack33

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2009, 09:05:35 AM »
Nice! what kind of broadhead?

Offline maineduckhunter

• 12 Pointer
  • 2008 8 pt.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2009, 09:35:48 AM »
Nice! what kind of broadhead?
G5 Broadhead

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2009, 11:56:51 AM »
Congrats. What did you think about the bow experience compared to a gun? I personally think it's much more rewarding. Great shot by the way, I have forgotten the peep myself.

Offline maineduckhunter

• 12 Pointer
  • 2008 8 pt.
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2009, 11:59:14 AM »
Congrats. What did you think about the bow experience compared to a gun? I personally think it's much more rewarding. Great shot by the way, I have forgotten the peep myself.
I felt like a young kid again, out on his first hunt....it is a lot different but I love it!!

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2009, 01:02:10 PM »
awesome!! ive been waitin on you maine guys to show us some pics of dead deer finally.....nice shot i might add.....my first shot at a deer with the bow i missed 3 times  ::).....maybe the next one will be easier for ya then again maybe not  ;D.....congrats

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2009, 03:58:21 PM »
Congrats!  Good Shot Placement on that second shot. 

halfrack33

« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2009, 09:21:48 PM »
G5 Broadhead

great shot placement, couldn't have been any better. I would have expected a little better hole from those things though  :-\ Regardless, amazing shot

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2009, 10:47:11 AM »
Nice, doesn't look like you needed the third shot anyway. ;D
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline maineduckhunter

• 12 Pointer
  • 2008 8 pt.
« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2009, 12:50:15 PM »
Nice, doesn't look like you needed the third shot anyway. ;D
s
No, but I wasn't really sure....better safe then sorry.... ;D.....and NERVOUS!!

upstatehunter

« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2009, 05:44:59 AM »
Congrats MDH !!!! You will remember that doe like a trophy buck the rest of your life. Way to not get rattled by missing. I have friends who tried bow hunting and don't miss much with a gun. First time they missed with the bow they were so shocked and rattled they couldn't hit a bull in the a$$ with a shovel. Great job!!

Offline maineduckhunter

• 12 Pointer
  • 2008 8 pt.
« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2009, 08:26:07 AM »
Congrats MDH !!!! You will remember that doe like a trophy buck the rest of your life. Way to not get rattled by missing. I have friends who tried bow hunting and don't miss much with a gun. First time they missed with the bow they were so shocked and rattled they couldn't hit a bull in the a$$ with a shovel. Great job!!
Yeah I was pretty proud of myself too....But practicing helps with getting rattled....you need to learn to relax yourself at a time like that and I have practiced that....I'm heading back to the killing tree tonight hoping for some more meat for the freezer!!

Offline bassranger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2009, 04:16:46 AM »
Congrats. Nice shot. I have been bow hunting for 17 years and last night I missed  doe broad side at 30 yards Its part of bowhunting.

Offline Rairdog

• Nubbie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 04, 2009, 09:38:35 AM »
I missed twice at the same deer last year.  Cable guide broke and I didn't notice it.  30 years of bowhunting you would think I'd know better.  There are too many things that can go wrong mechanically and mentally.  Practice, inspect and deep breathing until heart quits pounding.  Congrats on your first bow kill. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal