Author Topic: New Brunswick Bear Hunt  (Read 4723 times)

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
New Brunswick Bear Hunt
« on: Jun 11, 2009, 10:16:31 AM »
Hi All,

Just figured I'd post a few pics of our recent black bear hunt about 1.5hrs over the Maine border.  Six guys went and five came home with bears.  The sixth guy hit one but couldn't find it...

The mosquitoes were like nothing I've ever seen.  Thank the good lord for the thermacells!

BOW, BOW (biggest of the five - around 200), RIFLE, BOW (from a ground blind!!!!) all on the same night too!

and this was mine w/ the 30-06.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: New Brunswick Bear Hunt
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
That's awesome welcome to the site and congrats. I like the piebald in your avatar what's her story?

Offline tundraboy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2009, 05:44:37 AM »
Awesome pics. Those therma cells are worth there weight in gold .. Congrats on a great spring hunt. Have you ever tried bear sausage it is the best.

upstatehunter

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2009, 04:45:05 AM »
Looks like a fun, successful hunt. Fathers and sons?

Offline Jiffy Man

• Forked
    • Seacoast Guide Service
« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2009, 05:43:57 AM »
Congrats Brian! That's cool.

What did that hunt cost per person for a spring hunt?

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2009, 10:35:47 AM »
That's awesome welcome to the site and congrats. I like the piebald in your avatar what's her story?

Thanks and thanks  ;D

Actually it's a shed buck I took w/ the bow this past MA season.  Couldn't believe what I was seeing when this guy came in!  Been hunting that area for three years and taken a bunch of deer, but had never seen one w/ any extra white on it...then this guy walked by...

Getting a full body mount (added some fork horns from a buck I shot awhile back).  Thinking about trying to sell it to Cabelas, Bass Pro, or KTP to fund some more hunting trips :-P

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2009, 10:38:12 AM »
Awesome pics. Those therma cells are worth there weight in gold .. Congrats on a great spring hunt. Have you ever tried bear sausage it is the best.

Thanks!!  Yeah we use them all summer long while we're hanging out on the back deck...they're great!

I haven't, but I'm turning everything from this bear, except for the backstraps, into burger and sausage.  What do you cut yours with (pork/beef fat?) and how much?

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2009, 10:39:51 AM »
Looks like a fun, successful hunt. Fathers and sons?

One father/son combo....they're all great guys and we had a blast up there!!!

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2009, 10:46:23 AM »
Congrats Brian! That's cool.

What did that hunt cost per person for a spring hunt?

Thanks!!!

Last year we used an outfitter from the Plaster Rock area and food was included.  Total cost (guide, license, food, lodging) including tip was about $1500.  That doesn't include any butchering.

This year we went w/ a different guide that offers a "do it yourself" package where you pay less, but bring your own food.  That was $1100. 

Last year's was more of a luxury hunt than this year.  This year they took us out to the baits on ATV's so we'd be ripping through mud (four guys on ONE ATV) w/ one hand holding on and the other holding the bow!!!!!  It was crazy.  Wouldn't recommend it for someone who's not into "roughing it"....

Here's this year's guide:  http://nashwaakriveroutfitters.com/

I shot a 120lb sow last year w/ the bow.  Just got the 3/4 mount back yesterday!!!!  I'll post pics when I get a chance...

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #9 on: Jun 18, 2009, 06:02:36 AM »

Wow looks like you guys had a great time. You sure keep your Taxidermist busy.

I just gotta know, do those Thermacells really work, and how long do they last on 1 butane cartridge.
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Jun 18, 2009, 10:10:02 AM »
Thanks and thanks  ;D

Actually it's a shed buck I took w/ the bow this past MA season.  Couldn't believe what I was seeing when this guy came in!  Been hunting that area for three years and taken a bunch of deer, but had never seen one w/ any extra white on it...then this guy walked by...

Getting a full body mount (added some fork horns from a buck I shot awhile back).  Thinking about trying to sell it to Cabelas, Bass Pro, or KTP to fund some more hunting trips :-P

Man that is a cool looking deer. Post a pic of the mount when you get him back.

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Jun 18, 2009, 04:23:01 PM »

Wow looks like you guys had a great time. You sure keep your Taxidermist busy.

I just gotta know, do those Thermacells really work, and how long do they last on 1 butane cartridge.

i usually get 10 hours on one butane can.  but the chemical pads only last 2 to 3 hours...

they're perfect for early archery hunts and spring hunts...and like i said you can use them camping and pretty much anywhere else you're hanging out w/ a lot of mosquitoes.  they don't work if you're moving around thought...you've gotta stay in one place...

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Jun 18, 2009, 04:27:32 PM »
Ok here are the pics of last year's bear - a 120 lb sow.  you would NOT think it was such a small bear from the mount!!!!  i love how it came out...

love the wrinkles on the nose

Offline bassranger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Jun 19, 2009, 10:58:16 AM »
Thats a awesome mount

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal