Author Topic: When do you start scouting?  (Read 2134 times)

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Forked
When do you start scouting?
« on: Dec 05, 2021, 07:53:00 AM »
As I sit in my stand, probably last day out for me in the southern zone, in a few 48 wooded acres surrounded by 3 corn field, I am already thinking about learning more about this new property.

When does everyone start shouting in NY? I was thinking of putting cameras out in July, and adjusting them month to month to learn about patterns. Then sitting in a climber a few days in September in advance of Archery season.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
Re: When do you start scouting?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2021, 11:34:45 PM »
I already am no better time to start filling the memory bank for the coming season and where to start checking

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2021, 07:15:16 AM »
Agreed. But it’s been a while since I took on learning the movement patterns of deer on a new property. Looking forward to it.

Promised the princess that if we can ice fish at the turn of the new year we’d hike the property in the snow, so we can look for tracks. Then we’ll spend some time over the summer looking for tree stand locations and sign

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2021, 08:10:25 AM »
Just keep in mind what you find now won’t be there summer pattern and vise/versa

Also if I may suggest if you do have a couple site in your climber before season do it from a area with a vantage point you can see where you’ll be hunting but not where you’ll hunt, your odds drop every sit. keep that in mind.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2021, 08:45:24 AM »
Just keep in mind what you find now won’t be there summer pattern and vise/versa

Also if I may suggest if you do have a couple site in your climber before season do it from a area with a vantage point you can see where you’ll be hunting but not where you’ll hunt, your odds drop every sit. keep that in mind.

X 2 pal.  There so scattered now .  Wait till spring and find some trails and put out some cameras..jmo.. ;)
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2021, 09:22:38 AM »
^^^ this guys right.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2021, 11:07:03 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone. That’s where I was struggling, what I learn about patterns now vs what happens in the spring vs what actually happens when the season opens.

Will have cameras out beginning of September for sure!

Thanks again!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2021, 11:27:29 AM »
I start putting my cameras in late August early Sept ..  Our bow season starts Oct 1... ;)
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2021, 11:49:14 AM »
Me too Dacker. I live right on the northern zone/southern zone border in the capital district. This property is southern zone, although I will likely have to use my preference point to get a doe tag

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2021, 06:55:24 PM »
I start scouting before the season closes. Paying attention to what the deer are doing now to plan for next year at this time. It closed here yesterday and I am moving cameras this week.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2021, 08:08:23 AM »
I start scouting now and scout till April when it greens up. We don’t get snow here though so you can see all the sign left. I think late spring in snow areas is the best time might pick up a shed too

Offline mcully

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2021, 09:47:31 AM »
Cameras move to food sources and we get to see who made it through the season in a few weeks and see how they physically look. Saw a good one few weeks back limping hard so be interesting to see if recovered or disappeared.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal