Author Topic: Sarahs first Archery Deer  (Read 1692 times)

Offline benny8

• Forked
Sarahs first Archery Deer
« on: Sep 21, 2020, 03:33:56 AM »
This story has been 4 years in the making. My wife was involved in a car accident in 2006. An uninsured driver never hit his brakes going 55 miles an hour down the road. My wife was making a right hand turn and was slowed to almost complete stop. It tore her right shoulder up and after 3 failed surgeries, her hopes of bowhunting were gone. Then in 2016, we learned that she may qualify for the disabled crossbow permit. When she received that from the state, she got her bowhunters safety and I purchased a Barnett Lady Raptor crossbow for her. She practiced with it a lot. First year she had an opportunity and forgot to remove the safety. Second year she hit a branch shooting out of a ground blind. Last year, never saw one with the crossbow. This year we planted a couple small food plots up to the Shamp property. We had does and kids and a couple bucks hitting it. So Friday night, we decide we would sit in the buddy stand we had just moved 30 yards into the woods to watch this corner of the plot. A few days prior, we had also moved a single ladder into the same tree so I could film. I made a mock scrape and licking branch with Black Widow Scents and for the last week, deer were showing up fairly regularly. Friday night we got set up about 5 pm. I had the camera gear set up and ready for action. It was quite windy and not much action. About 7pm it was to dark for the camera to pick up anything so I closed the lcd screen. I had no sooner closed it when Sarah was trying to get my attention. I looked down on her and she was getting her crossbow leveled. I'm looking towards the food plot trying to figure out what she is seeing. Then I catch movement. I deer materializes from the right. It comes right in to the mock scrape and smells the licking branch. It then steps into the scrape and almost out of it. It is what looks like a broadside shot and Sarah takes it. Her Nocturnal doesn't light and my perch above her is somewhat obscured so I can just barely see the deer. We hear a smack and the deer takes off like its shot out of a cannon. Then we hear a deer blow 4-5 times and my heart sinks. I tell her I think she missed cuz deer don't usually blow when they are hit. She says, she saw movement of another deer before she shot. It is thick to the right and she took the first deer she got eyes on. I climb down after packing up my camera gear and head over to where the deer was standing at the shot. Light is fading fast and I forgot my good head lamp and spotlight at home. Sarah gets down and we can't find her bolt. I look in the direction of travel and find blood on the ferns on the outskirts of the food plot. I only track it a ways until I have a hard time seeing it due to crappy headlamps. We decide to call our good friends, Rob and Diane Richardson from Working Class Canine. They have a super tracking dog Bella and an up and coming little fella, Bullet. We decide when they will arrive and Sarah and I head home to get our good headlamps and spot lights. We meet up with them at 9pm. Once Bella gets dialed in, its a short 75 yard track to Sarah's deer. We found the bolt with the broad head broken off about 30 yards from impact. The deer must have turned just a bit towards us before she shot. It hit near side behind shoulder and angled thru and broad head was lodged in opposite side rear knee. The deer was this years button, but for a girl who has faced a lot of adversity in her life, it was a trophy.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Sarahs first Archery Deer
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2020, 04:45:16 AM »
Great shooting, great hunt, great write up! Congrats folks! Thanks for sharing
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2020, 04:50:19 AM »
Incredible.   Congratulations to all of you..
 👍👍👍👍👍👍
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline monk

• 8 Pointer
  • I'd rather be outdoors
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2020, 07:01:14 AM »
Way to persevere... Congratulations!
 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! God Bless America!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Rooseve

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2020, 09:15:20 AM »
Great story Benny. And congrats to her!
If at first you don't succeed try try again. Way to finally connect!

On a side note: What was the issue with the Nockturnal? I changed to them several years ago and I absolutely swear by them and love their design compared to Lumenok. Have NEVER seen one not go on.

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2020, 09:22:19 AM »
great story congrats to both of you

Offline benny8

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2020, 09:25:02 AM »
Great story Benny. And congrats to her!
If at first you don't succeed try try again. Way to finally connect!

On a side note: What was the issue with the Nockturnal? I changed to them several years ago and I absolutely swear by them and love their design compared to Lumenok. Have NEVER seen one not go on.
I think it may have been one that was a couple years old. She had one that we used during practice and the light disappeared completely. I pulled the bolt from the target and shook it. I could hear something rattling around inside that bolt. Turns out the light "stick" upon firing got dislodged and was rattling around inside the bolt. I still love them, this was probably user error.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2020, 09:25:43 AM by benny8 »

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2020, 10:32:03 AM »
Nice!! Congrats to both of you!

Offline nhxbowhunter

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2020, 06:04:24 PM »
Quite the set of events... Congrats on the deer..  Glad all is well