Author Topic: Pin on Compass Failure  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Aziscohosbuck

• 6 Pointer
Pin on Compass Failure
« on: Nov 09, 2019, 05:18:09 PM »
Wondering if anyone else has had this experience with a complete failure of the pin on round ball type compass.  First time in many years that my pin on round ball type compass failed me this morning.  Went into a familiar piece of woods for an early morning sit and all was good until  a few hours into the sit and happened to look at my compass and it was reading North in every direction.  What the h####ll?  Any way it was no big deal as I was in familiar woods with no need for a compass anyway.  Checked it on the way out and it was crazy way off.  Normally I carry two compasses but neglected to bring the second compass this morning.  Glad it happened close to home before my trip up into the big woods in Northwestern Maine next week.  Needless to say I will be buying a new pin on compass before the trip up into the big woods!  I know some of you will advise me to get a GPS unit, but at age 63 I'm old school with topo maps and compass which have never failed me and doesn't need batteries.  Is there a better upgrade with these pin on round ball compasses?

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Pin on Compass Failure
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2019, 06:50:02 PM »
Mine haven’t failed yet however I don’t rely on it I just use it as quick reference, it’s always been fine. I keep a far nicer and more expensive suunto compass on me for important bearings
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline VenisonFreak

• 6 Pointer
Re: Pin on Compass Failure
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2019, 01:03:10 PM »
I have had many of those fail on me over the years. I don't know if the outer plastic housing distorts over time or what, but it seems they all start sticking eventually.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal