MyHuntingForum Main > General Hunting Discussion
Gander Mountain Gunsmith Services - Any Good???
(1/2) > >>
tommyboy:
Has anybody ever used the Gunsmithing services offered at most Gander Mountain's??  It's finally time to get the old Ithaca Model 37 reblued, and I would like to drop it off somewhere where I can be confident that it will not get screwed up in any way.  It is my late father's old gun, and I want it to be like new, so I will not be attempting to do it myself.

Thanks in advance.
Chucker:
I asked about bluing at the Gander here in Henrietta, and he said they get sent out - 4 months!

A friend of mine did have a Savage Model 99 drilled and tapped, and the Henrietta guy did a nice job on it, and the price was fair.  Since the actual gunsmithing work is done in-house, YMMW depending on who staffs your local store. 
Bobman:
tommyboy, i just started looking into this myself.  I have a 16ga Model 37 Featherlite that my dad won in a big buck contest 30+ years ago.  I wound up in my hands and I've been using it for years but would like to get it serviced.  I found this place on the internet that I was going to check into: http://www.diamondgunsmithing.com/index.html.  Apparently the guy used to work as a gunsmith for Ithaca and started his own gunsmithing business.  You would just have to have an arrangement with an FFL licensed dealer to have the gun shipped back to you, unless you live close enough to Ithaca, NY.  I was considering making the drive from Buffalo twice (once to drop off and once to pickup) just because of fear of something happening to my gun.
tommyboy:
Thanks for the replies, guys.  Wow, 4 months? That is a pretty crazy turnaround.  I like to shop at Gander, but ever since I had them mount a scope for me on a new gun, I am a little skeptical abouth their gunsmithing.  It was a young guy I worked with in the Scranton, PA store before any of them opened up in NY - He mounted the scope and bore sighted it, and when I looked through the scope I could easily tell that the reticle was not lined up properly.  I had him look at it, and he assured me that it was right on.  Well, when I started sighting it in, every time I moved the windage, the elvation would also change because it was mounted at an angle.  I know it was probably just because it was a young guy doing the work, but something so simple should not be messed up.

Bobman, thanks for the link.  I will give both him and Gander a call to see what they have to say about it.  Since you and I have the same gun, you will likely find some use out of this thread from another forum:  http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79094
I cut and pasted all of those into a word document so I could keep it forever.  Stuff like that is invaluable.  Thanks again for your suggestions.
Bobman:
tommyboy you also could try to contact RGFIXIT from this site.  He is a gunsmith somewhere in Central NY.  He may have some more suggestions for you.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version