Author Topic: Tactics  (Read 2742 times)

Offline SilentStalker

• 8 Pointer
Tactics
« on: Sep 10, 2007, 08:13:09 AM »
 Now that bear season is upon us here in NY, I was wondering what everbody's favorite way to hunt for blacks are? I haven't got one yet, but have been hunting them for several years. I generally still hunt for them, trying to cover as much ground as possible w/out being loud/clumsy in the woods. This time of year, I also think it's also a good way to catch one scampering down a cherry tree after gorging themselves.

Offline dogfish

• Spiked
Re: Tactics
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2007, 08:38:57 AM »
  This time of year, I also think it's also a good way to catch one scampering down a cherry tree after gorging themselves.
I have only done this once, very cool and a very dead bear.  BUT that bear knew I was there and was coming down the tree fast at the time.  Still hunting is a good way to scout for fresh sign in the early season so you can find where you want to set up a morning and evening watch.  Look for tracks and scat, if you find a fresh pile of poo take a stick and break it apart and see what ol Yogie has been eating and then look for that food source in the area you are hunting. 

Early season you hit the big one on the head, the black cherry.  Very rare that all the trees fruit every year.   Look for lots of birds (esp robins they are starting to migrate through the ADKs this time of year and love the cherries) in the tops of a tree when you are scouting.  This tells you you have fruit and it is ripe.  If you find fresh bear sign around this tree you have some place to watch.  Also glance at rasberrie and black berrie patches and see it there is any fruit left there.  In september dont waste your time up on the ridges looking for beechnuts they will not be ripe.  But if you are hunting the frindgs of the park (I hunt central ADKs) you may find some oaks that are loosing acorns this time of year.  Remenber that bears need food, water and cover nearby so concentrate your searches with these three elements in mind.
Good luck and maybe I will pass you going through Tupper Lake

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2007, 10:53:47 AM »
Early season I like to look up in the big yellow birches to see if I can catch one napping or up in the beech trees eating.  Also don't forget to look under the roots of blow downs and rocks with overhangs. 
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2007, 06:18:23 PM »
i like to find a nice stand of cherries. there are tons of them this year and this us the first time in a long time i have seen them crossig the road into camp

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal