Author Topic: bear with dogs  (Read 5106 times)

Offline redneck

• Nubbie
bear with dogs
« on: Sep 11, 2004, 12:02:12 PM »
I have a walker and a redtick I would like to use for bear hunting but they are also the family pets would they get mean if I train them for bear? My kids just love the dogs and they are best of friends. I'd hate to wreck that to hunt bear.
Redneck

Offline bear baiter

• Nubbie
Re: bear with dogs
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2004, 08:35:11 PM »
red neck i have never seen a dog turn mean after training them for bear we have 8 dogs and they just love kids they run bear and coon sometimes they come in side when it gets to cold outside for them kids love big hound dogs

Offline redneck

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2004, 08:20:58 PM »
How do you train a dog to hunt bear? I don't have anyone to run my dogs with. They are just pups yet but I'd like to start them as soon as I can Any help would be great.
Thanks Redneck

Offline bear baiter

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2004, 05:57:49 PM »
redneck where are u located and it takes time to gey a dog to run bear becuase there are not many seen unlike racoons just get some bear scent and put it on a rag and play with them teasing them and dragging it around the yard and through the woods then try to hook up with someone that has bear dogs in your area and see if maybe uyou could go along with them

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2004, 09:28:20 AM »
first step is to bait them, and when the running season starts in july, (you need a class b license I think it is) its just to run, not hunt, (its like a training season) bait them in and when you know you have a bear hitting it, let the dogs go on him, and have fun.  This doesn't work as well as when with hunting with other people, because then the dogs have someone to follow an take examples from.  Make sure the people you go with know what they are doing, so your dogs turn out right.  it sounds like you are located in the chequamegon national forest, is that right?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal