Author Topic: Bear hunting in New York  (Read 17521 times)

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
Bear hunting in New York
« on: Jul 20, 2007, 07:50:14 AM »
I've been more and more interested in bear hunting.  From what some of the guides I know say, most guided trips around the north east usually result in small bear.  Because of this I’ve been giving more thought to just learning how to bear hunt in New York, and giving it a try.  I know it’s not easy, and that the vast majority of my trips will only result in a relaxing day in the woods.  Are there any good books, videos, or web sites on bear hunting in New York that would point me in the right direction?  Any input is appreciated.

Offline dogfish

• Spiked
Re: Bear hunting in New York
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2007, 07:44:58 AM »
Otis
NY is different than almost any other state or provence out there (in NA).  There is no spring season, no baiting or running with dogs is allowed and spot and stalk (a big Western and Northwestern tech) does not tend to work due to limited sight distances.  Most bears in NY are killed by deer hunters who happen on a bear by chance.  You spend enough time in the woods you may get lucky and see a bear. 
As far as any published materials on "fair chase" hunting in NY I have never seen any.
I have killed 6 bear in NY 5 of them hunting bear exclusivly in the early ADK season.  My biggest NYr was a 6 1/2 footer that went right around 400lbs.  I have also killed bear in Onterio, Quebec and ME (hunting over bait).  If you are interested I could give you my recomendations and tech for bear hunting in NY?
PM me.

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2007, 08:02:43 AM »
Thanks dog fish.  I'll have to pm you when I get more time.  I was looking through the stats for previous bear seasons on the DEC web site, it seems that the odds are not in our favor.  I still would like to give it a try.  I've been hunting for years up in up north in the tug hill area.  I think I'm going to try farther east this year up in Lewis county, maybe that will increase my odds of seeing a bruin in the woods.

Offline dogfish

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2007, 08:28:29 AM »
Otis
Make sure you look up the regs.  The State is very picky where you can shoot bears.  I do not believe The Hill (as we use to call Tug hill growing up in Lowville many years ago) or Lowville are areas where bear hunting is allowed?  DO believe you have to be in the park?  I hunt the Central Adk's and it is not an issue.

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2007, 03:14:42 PM »
Cool.  I'll have to read the fine print on the boundaries for the Adirondack region.

Offline SilentStalker

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2007, 07:32:41 AM »
Any body have plans for the early bear starting Sept. 15 up north?

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2007, 02:58:18 PM »
yeah i'll be going up to camp on that weekend

Offline dogfish

• Spiked
« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2007, 10:35:49 AM »
Will be in camp around Tupper Lake, done well on bears there in early season. 
Heading up to Sudbury Onterio next week for some am fishing and pm bear hunting with the bow.
So it begins

Offline SilentStalker

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2007, 01:11:45 PM »
 I'll be going to camp as well up by Lowville. Hoping to change our luck as we usually see most of our bears duing Late October and into November.

Offline oneshot

• Nubbie
« Reply #9 on: Aug 26, 2007, 12:44:30 PM »
Hello everyone,
I have personally never shot a bear in my life. BUT my WIFE is hunting for her first year this year and she really doesnt care to much to shoot any dear. due to the fact that I clean them up really well. She wants a bear. That is all she wants is a bear. Nothing else just a bear. I need some infor on were to go and if anyone could help me out on this it would be great. If i can get her one She will be happy forever and I will be a happy man to if you all know what i mean. I am stationed at fort drum and hunting time for me with my wife is very far and few between due to deployments. Someone please help me out. Thank you

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Aug 26, 2007, 02:43:41 PM »
Hello everyone,
I have personally never shot a bear in my life. BUT my WIFE is hunting for her first year this year and she really doesnt care to much to shoot any dear. due to the fact that I clean them up really well. She wants a bear. That is all she wants is a bear. Nothing else just a bear. I need some infor on were to go and if anyone could help me out on this it would be great. If i can get her one She will be happy forever and I will be a happy man to if you all know what i mean. I am stationed at fort drum and hunting time for me with my wife is very far and few between due to deployments. Someone please help me out. Thank you

Right there on base is a wonderful location. They take some every year. If not try around The town of Diana, Natural Bridge, Harrisville or around Lake Bonaparte.
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Offline oneshot

• Nubbie
« Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2007, 02:50:10 PM »
the bear on post have all been tagged and as of this year you are not authorized to shoot the ones tagged, You can tell they are tagged. so i am not even bothering with on post. What do u look for when you are scouting for them ...

Offline SilentStalker

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2007, 12:48:08 PM »
Anybody have any luck over the weekend? None here. I actually didn't even get out b/c we put an addition on the camp. In the short time I spent scouting for deer, didn't come across any bear sign or any cherry trees that were producing. Hopefully in a couple weeks...

Offline livebuck

• Nubbie
« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2007, 05:05:20 PM »
My father shot one Saturday evening. He is 71 years old and it is the first bear he has seen in the woods.

Offline livebuck

• Nubbie
« Reply #14 on: Sep 18, 2007, 05:06:20 PM »
I'm leaving in the morning to try to fill my tag.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal