Author Topic: Maine Black Bear  (Read 3041 times)

Offline killditrite

• Forked
Maine Black Bear
« on: Oct 15, 2005, 05:27:59 PM »
Scott Wright of maine just got this 212 lb Maine black bear with his bow. i will let him fill you in on the details.

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
Re: Maine Black Bear
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2005, 07:10:58 PM »
Nice bear Scott. I've never shot a bear, but it's on my list. I had a bear steak one time - wasn't great, had some bear meat sausage and eggs on the ice one morning - it was one of the best meals I've ever had. Maybe because it was on the ice on a cold morning, I don't know. I hope your bear tastes good.

Offline Scott Wright

• Forked
  • shotgun, rifle or bow... I LOVE to hunt!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2005, 08:13:36 PM »
Funny you should mention that, Trout... I just ate my first meal of bear meat... Wife fried up steaks with butter, salt, pepper, and garlic... tasted great!! I'm psyched.. I also have pleanty of sweet and hot sausage, which I plan to bring to ice-shanty get-togethers... I hunted for the bear with Dan Liberty, his dogs and a couple of friends. more fun than you can imagine... the dogs were on scent by 7 am, and treed the bear by 9:30 or 10. we caught up with them at 11 and I shot the bear with my PSE Firestorm Lite and Sonic broadheads... bear was dead before it hit the ground... great hunt, great tasting meat, and I have the skin at Dick Sprague's place and it will make a great rug!!
Let\'s go get \'em

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2005, 06:37:14 AM »
Congratulations Scott on a very nice black bear!
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline SDpheasant

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2005, 08:10:54 AM »
WTG nice bear! ;D

Offline need2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2005, 12:29:03 PM »
Congrats on a nice bear.  I never realized that people hunted behind dogs with a bow, sounds interesting.
If it can't get done outdoors, it isn't going to get done!

Offline tcfish

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2005, 01:21:59 PM »

Nice bear Scott ..Congrats to you.Well done

Gotta love shooting a bear with bow .i,ve gotten 2 .Did you hear the eary death moooaann.What a scary sound and the reason
i will not shoot another bear!!!!
My way of life

Offline Scott Wright

• Forked
  • shotgun, rifle or bow... I LOVE to hunt!!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2005, 09:10:52 PM »
TC: No, I didn't... as a matter of fact, I just heard about the black bear's death moan, today. A guy asked me about it at Howell's... he said about 70% of bears let one out before they expire... glad mine didn't as I would have been unprepared and freaked out... my butcher said he found the front end of my arrow and broad head in the bear's chest. It passed through the lungs and heart, hitting a rib on the other side. when the bear fell from one branch to the next, it shattered the arrow, and tore the lungs and heart to shreds.. thing died real quick... that moan sounds really aweful, the way the guy described it today...

BTW: congratulations on your bull moose!!! saw the pic on iceshanty. VERY nice!!!
Let\'s go get \'em

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal