Author Topic: AD's hunting pics  (Read 3478 times)

Offline AD

• Forked
AD's hunting pics
« on: Nov 25, 2008, 01:43:19 PM »
     Well nothing huge to put up here but they all at well, and are fine by me.   

Well I dont have a picture of my first buck but her eis the second

My first doe

And this year's doe, not sure how the site is about graphic shot wounds so I'll post the clean side.      For some reason the way I shot this doe I had no exit wound, jsut the biggest and nastiest entrance wound I have ever seen.    I could almost sick my fist in it/through it.   

If the season goes well I hope to post more later on, still have a month and  a half left to bag another few.      ;)
....  You can't eat the antlers ....

Offline walleyeguy

• 6 Pointer
Re: AD's hunting pics
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2008, 02:20:34 PM »
enjoyed your fishing pics on mff so had to check out the hunting pics obviously  ;)

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2008, 04:29:02 PM »
AD-great way to start,congrats,,,what stae are you in??

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2008, 04:41:01 PM »
The first two pics are in central NY, Syracuse area.  AD's now in SW VA, and that's where the last pic was taken. 
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

upstatehunter

« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2008, 05:03:22 AM »
Good job, looks like venison is the meat of choice this winter.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2008, 12:58:14 PM »
I love the bassett hound sniffing the deer. Our bassetts have to do the same thing.  :D
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2008, 04:27:53 PM »
SW Virginia---I'll be down ---Bristol Night race????Not Far away then

Offline AD

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2008, 10:02:54 PM »
I love the bassett hound sniffing the deer. Our bassetts have to do the same thing.  :D

Yep, always have to check everything out.    He's the one up north (my parents) and there are 4 more down south in VA.    They make a great pet, and the male down in VA has helped track a few wounded deer, which he found.     
     Just sometimes when their nose "turns on" the brain "turns off"   

Offline travo

• Nubbie
  • the south dakota duck doctor
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2008, 06:31:20 PM »
Looks like plenny o meat!!! Nice job!!! what are the storis behind them?

Offline 2008Bowtech

• Spiked
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:33:44 PM »
nice pics

Offline AD

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2008, 10:05:44 PM »
Looks like plenny o meat!!! Nice job!!! what are the storis behind them?

Do you mean story's behind them?      

Best story is the doe from this year, the one in the pics that is partially skinned which I shot in VA..      Where I hunt we have set doe days instead of tags.     The section of woods I set out into that day was pretty barren of sign.     The oaks just didn't drop this year and there arnt many fields to feed in.    Deer really just wernt there and when they were they were on the move.   It's a long trek in too, about a mile and a half at least, but part of it is a gravel hiking trail before I cut off.    
     Me and a Buddy were following an old deer trail cutting through a few spots sort of scouting and hunting as were walked along.     We do this a lot because time off just inst too plentiful, and I believe this section of national Forrest is well over 8,000 acres.   We cut up off the main hiking trail well over a mile in and cut up on a ridge to avoid a hunter we saw in the holler, found a little old feed sign, but nothing worth sitting on so we kept going and cut through an old clear cut which opened into a pine thicket, and in turn cut out into a beautiful white oak holler.     All the while we would walk and stop for a few mins and scan.    After we came out into the last holler, we were thinking of hanging there for a bit, as it also was a bit of a saddle.funnel.   When not more then 20 seconds after we came out of the pines a doe came out of the same trail about 60 yards from us at that point.   She must have been following the same trail we were, and in turn only about 30 seconds behind us.     Kind of odd if you as me, she looks up and spots us, whom stupidly arnt even against a tree.    So Im thinking okay we blew it she is going to bust, she is staring at us.   But she puts her head back down and is quartering towards us.     I'm thinking the 3 fifty grain pyrodex pellets and 250 grain shock wave sabot can put her down, but a quartering towards shot will ruin a lot of meat and just isnt all that good.    She kept coming in though, looking at us several times, and finally stops and turns broadside at 29 yards and I promptly dropped her in her tracks.      I hit her a bit farther forward then I would have liked, but in cleaning her out the heart was destroyed, along with half the liver, one lung and even some of the cuts were blown open.   I still shake a lot, I get a little excited when that deer comes into range.     But the sabot did its job hitting her rib-cage and exploded leaving no exit wound at all, and a whole in the ribs that I could stick my fist through, inflicting the nastiest entrance wound on a deer that I have ever seen.    I put her down at about 7:20 I think, after we sat for a bit longer I gutted and hid her in a log and covered her with leaves (so nobody might take her) and we hunted the rest of the day never seeing another deer ,and not very much sign at all.     We must have covered about 6 miles of woods and found one rub from a buck and a little more feed sign.     Kinda crazy when the one deer we saw all day was following us through the woods.    Im not an expert on aging but I would have placed her at a year and a half old doe.    
       So that places my lifetime record at a spike, a four pointer adn two does.     I've killed two with my shotgun, the spike and small doe (mossberg 500).   The four pointer with my .270.   Now one with the new Rolling block 50 cal muzzle loader.  

Had a good chance at another on the 13th.    I was watching two does, one was a real big one and the other was the size of the one I shot this year.     Was too busy watching these two about 25 yards away, was hidden in the stand from these two, but not the third deer that came in behind them, must have spotted me and trotted on through with it's ears up stopping a few times.    Im 90% sure it was a buck with spikes about 1 to 2 inches long, but couldn't get the scope on its head to clear up that 10% of unsure.     I'm not going to take the shot at something if Im not 100% sure it is a legal deer.    

Oh the deer cut down on the floor behind the doe was a buck one of my buddies had shot.      

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal