MyHuntingForum Main > General Hunting Discussion
Antler Restrictions
(1/6) > >>
adkRoy:
Recently, the NYS DEC had a meeting by me talking about the NYS Deer herd and how to manage it. One of the big things discussed was antler restrictions. I know parts of NY are under this as a test program and that Pennsyltucky has this state wide but I am curious as to everyones opinion about weather or not a deer needs to have 3 points on a side to shoot it.
Pikeguy:
I'd like to see that rule with two exceptions...first year kids and the handicapped
archbishop:
i vote no, i dont care about antlers, i dont really agree with shooting babies, but i hunt for meat and sport, not bragging rights, i would love that monster 12 pointer, but ill be happy with food in the freezer, i could be way off, but thats my opinion :-\

--- Quote from: Pikeguy on Sep 29, 2006, 10:34:25 AM ---I'd like to see that rule with two exceptions...first year kids and the handicapped

--- End quote ---

we are talking about antlers, not horns :D
flockshot:
i like the one buck rule as opposed to the antler restrictions....the one buck rule makes people think a little bit before they shoot a 4 pointer....but it still allows people who are going to be out much or youth hunters to tag a first buck with some ease. my state really needs to look into this law in my honest opinion.
FrankM:
I have been reading and thinking a lot about antler restrictions and QDM for several years ever since they introduced it in PA.  I do most of my hunting in NY but I do get a PA license and typically hunt their opening day for rifle and also the 3 Saturdays of flintlock season.  I haven't seen any big bucks since they introduced the restrictions but I have seen rubs and scrapes that were obviosly made by large deer.  These bigger older smarter deer are much harder to see in daylight hours so the average hunter will not see any benefit from antler restrictions.  I think there are enough trophy bucks out there to keep it interesting enough for me.  The fact that they are somewhat rare is what makes shooting one such a major event. The decision as to which buck to take should remain a personal decision for each hunter. We also need to be concerned with how antler restrictions are perceived by the non-hunting public.  We don't want to look like a bunch of trophy hunters.  The main reasons we use to justify our right to hunt are that we like to eat venison and want to control the deer population.  I don't think antler restrictions will help us when you look at the overall picture.  Most of the hunters I talk to in PA are against them.  It would be too much of a culture shock to impose them statewide in NY and I don't think the benifits would outweigh the problems.  Our biggest need as hunters in NY today is to recruit more young hunters.  We should be pushing to lower the hunting age and leave the decision as to which buck to shoot a personal choice.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version