Author Topic: Switching to blackhorn  (Read 1247 times)

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
Switching to blackhorn
« on: Sep 22, 2019, 02:18:37 PM »
Hi guys see alot of names I recognize from ice shanty. I'm switching to blackhorn powder bought a new gun because my diamond throws too much shrapnel  with the open breech design those who are using it how many grains of powder are people using I'm shooting 245 grain power belts.  been years since I shot granular powder not since shooting my 45 cal cherokee. Any help would be appreciated hoping to sight in soon thanks.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Switching to blackhorn
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2019, 07:00:27 PM »
So two things you need to understand.

1. Grains by weight
2. Grains by volume

These are different and important when running Blackhorn.

Great decision to switch over to Blackhorn. What are you running for a new muzzleloader? I would begin with 100 grains by volume and go from there. Do not go above 120 grains by volume with Blackhorn. That would be considered your magnum load or ( 3 fifty grain pellets) that most manufacturers tell you to peak at
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2019, 07:32:09 PM »
Just picked up an impact SB. Last time I shot powder was goex little rusty. Was planning on trying out at 100 grains first that's what I shoot out of my diamond. I did hear that the blackhorn is more powerful than triple 7 pellets. Not sure how true that is yet. Thanks for the input it will be 100 grains by volume.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2019, 07:40:49 PM »
Yes so this needs more flash to ignite vs goex, but that’s ok bc Impact is a 209 primer system. Your grouping with the Blackhorn in your Cherokee would most likely suffer because of a even longer lag time. The Blackhorn will shoot at least another 100 FPS faster for you just in the fact it’s loose alone. It will also give you less fouling. You will be pleased with it

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2019, 09:32:39 PM »
Thanks alot for your input can't wait to sight it in. I'll repost with my findings.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2019, 04:54:40 AM »
Awesome! Have fun!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2019, 05:29:36 AM »
Welcome to the site lv2hunt..
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2019, 01:15:31 PM »
so finally made it out to sight my new gun in with blackhorn anyone who doesn't shoot it you should this stuff is incredible found my sweet spot was between 90 and 95 grains with a 250 grain powerbelt shooting at 80 yds a nice tight 3 inch group with open sights. Cleanup was incredibly easy with regular hoppes fired 15 shots without cleaning in between and every bullet went down with ease no crud ring. Can't wait for Nov 2 have fun out there hope for monsters. Good luck!!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2019, 03:29:00 PM »
Awesome!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal