Author Topic: Welcome Soupy1957  (Read 1723 times)

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
Welcome Soupy1957
« on: Jul 11, 2013, 07:58:35 PM »

Welcome aboard, it's always good to have new members, tell us about yourself. ;D

Offline oneshott

• 6 Pointer
Re: Welcome Soupy1957
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2013, 09:52:03 PM »
Hi Soupy.  What kind of soup is cooking today?

Offline Soupy1957

• Spiked
  • He Who Loves the woods, loves life!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2013, 03:25:18 AM »
Born when Elvis was inducted into the Army, I've been busy raising a family and workin my butt off.  As often as I could manage it, I could be found in the woods, or going down the Alagash (a secluded waterway in Maine) in an Oak canoe.

Now surrounded by son-in-laws and grand kids, with two more grand kids on the way any day now, I'm finally getting to hunting like I wanted to do, years ago. I had friends and family that were all gun owners and hunters (fishermen too), but my life was so "detailed" in other ways, that I had to lay aside my dream of meat that wasn't tainted by growth hormones and so forth, with the possible exception of someone serving up what they had taken, or some restaurant that served venison.

Here in my home State (Connecticut) there are farms nearby, but I haven't yet talked to the land owners about Preditory hunting; so for the while, I'll be hunting public lands (hopefully when the head count in the woods is fairly low, like on a weekday), with a 12 Gauge and rifled slugs.

I have a hunting trip coming up in November that will take me back "home" to the Aroostook County woods above Caribou, where I lived.  I'll be tromping thru the woods where my grandfather and his brothers hunted. I hope to make this trip an annual event in my life. 

For me, its the meat.  If a rack comes with it, that's fine;  But I am not out there for the thrill of the kill, or the rack for the wall.  I don't own an "assault rifle" and never will.  I don't own a handgun, and never will.  My gun rack has four guns in it, all long guns.  A .22 Savage for my wife of 35 years, who expressed an interest in target shooting, and for the grand kids when they get older and want to learn to shoot.

There's a Remington 870 12 Gauge in the rack.  That's for places here in CT that require nothing bigger.  Then there is a Winchester Anniversary (1966) Edition .30-.30 Lever Action, with the Brass Receiver and Saddle Ring.  I had owned one of these (standard edition) before, and loved it. 

Then there's a .30-.06 up there on the rack.  I never liked the fact that I HAD to use a Scope with it (I wear glasses and need fairly close eye-relief, and have a big nose, so I get "tagged" a bit too often, and it makes me flinch), so I"m considering having a gunsmith put iron sights on it.

After all is said and done, I have to say that I'm not a big fan of the "tick" factor.  It may one day, either give me Lyme Disease, (please God, no), or cause me to move to bird hunting (which I have yet to explore).  "Lyme Disease" was first diagnosed here in my State.  The town of Lyme, Connecticut, is about 30 miles southeast from me, so "Ticks" are not uncommon here, as you might guess.

I love listening to stories of that "first hunting trip" from folks.  I hope I hear yours!  I may be just starting "hunting" now in my mid-fifties, but I am no stranger to the outdoors.  Don't take this the wrong way but, unless you are my hunting partner someday, I hope I DON'T see you "out there" in the woods.  The more open land I see, without the presence of another hunter, the more I like the idea!! (lol).

-Soupy1957
"God and family first; THEN hunting!!"

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2013, 04:09:43 AM »
Welccome to the site Soupy from the Northeast kingdom of Vt. I'm sure you will like it here

Glad to here you spent a little time around the Alagash  Spend every fall up there me & 30/30
at camp not far away    ;) :) :)

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2013, 05:59:36 AM »
Welcome to MHF. I am sure you will enjoy it here. hunts2long....foothills of the Adirondacks
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

Offline Soupy1957

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2013, 06:35:23 AM »
Topic response:

Vermont: Been to Rutland, and have known folks from that area, but don't have much personal knowledge
              of the State, even though I've been a "New Englander" for most of my life.  Perhaps one day I
              could get some advice on a hunting trip there?

Adirondacks: My folks used to take my sister and I camping in the area of Schroon Lake, and Paradox Lake near
                   Pottersville, New York.  Beautiful country up there.  Caught my first Pike there many years ago (I
                   think I still have a picture of my stupid grin, as I squeezed the dickins out of that Pike to show it
                   off for the camera.

Thanks for the welcome!!

I started a video blog about becoming a hunter, on YouTube (I have lots of videos on there, on various subjects).  I'm due for an update soon, but if you want to follow my progression (growth) on the subject of becoming a "hunter," you can start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf-gEzyTyHI

-Soupy1957
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2013, 06:39:16 AM by Soupy1957 »

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2013, 06:36:55 AM »
Welcome aboard from Maryland. Hope you have good luck on your trip iv hunted not far from there several times.

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2013, 09:28:01 AM »
Topic response:

Vermont: Been to Rutland, and have known folks from that area, but don't have much personal knowledge
              of the State, even though I've been a "New Englander" for most of my life.  Perhaps one day I

Adirondacks: My folks used to take my sister and I camping in the area of Schroon Lake, and Paradox Lake near
                   Pottersville, New York.  Beautiful country up there.  Caught my first Pike there many years ago (I
                   think I still have a picture of my stupid grin, as I squeezed the dickins out of that Pike to show it
                   off for the camera.

I don't live too far from Schroon Lake & Paradox, I do a lot of ice fishing on both lakes. As GMH said we have a camp in the NMW T13 R10,  and spend 10 days there in Nov. I fyou ever came back this way again, don't hesitate to let me know that you will be here & I can meet up w/you.

Thanks for the welcome!!

I started a video blog about becoming a hunter, on YouTube (I have lots of videos on there, on various subjects).  I'm due for an update soon, but if you want to follow my progression (growth) on the subject of becoming a "hunter," you can start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf-gEzyTyHI

-Soupy1957

Offline Soupy1957

• Spiked
« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2013, 12:29:32 PM »
Thanks.  I was sent to Word Of Life camps there every year.

-Soupy1957

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2013, 03:09:10 PM »
Topic response:

off for the camera.

Thanks for the welcome!!

-Soupy1957

The Northeast kingdom is located up on the canada border and bordering N.h. ; The land of French Men       hehehe     ;D ;D

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2013, 03:20:21 PM »
  The land of Short Men       hehehe     ;D ;D

Sorry Chuck.... ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2013, 03:20:51 PM by Raquettedacker »
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America