Author Topic: Cutting own deer  (Read 4770 times)

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
Cutting own deer
« on: Nov 19, 2007, 05:43:12 PM »
 I have always cut up my own deer but this year I decided to take it to somone to get it done and let me tell you its the worst thing i have ever seen.tallow and hair left on the meat along with the silver skin. I learned a lesson the hard way and i'm paying for it now. I'm going to have to take the whole think unwrap the loose shi--y job that they did and clean up all the meat and clean it up so i'll even eat it. Ill never do  that again. The worst part is that i'm a meat cutter by trade and because i'm on vacation this week i decided i wasn't cutting any meat this week except for what was on my plate. well thanks for letting me vent now i have to redo that i paid somone else to do. lesson lived is a lesson learned i guess

Offline grousemaster789

• 6 Pointer
Re: Cutting own deer
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2007, 06:06:42 PM »
I have always cut up my own deer but this year I decided to take it to somone to get it done and let me tell you its the worst thing i have ever seen.tallow and hair left on the meat along with the silver skin. I learned a lesson the hard way and i'm paying for it now. I'm going to have to take the whole think unwrap the loose shi--y job that they did and clean up all the meat and clean it up so i'll even eat it. Ill never do  that again. The worst part is that i'm a meat cutter by trade and because i'm on vacation this week i decided i wasn't cutting any meat this week except for what was on my plate. well thanks for letting me vent now i have to redo that i paid somone else to do. lesson lived is a lesson learned i guess

one of the horror stories ive heard along with guys taking the meat.

Just have to make sure you know your taking it to a good place
"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact." -Aldo Leopold

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2007, 06:08:19 PM »
it pi$$ed me off because when i cut a deer up for someone i do as as if i'm goting to be eating it myself.

Offline griff

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2007, 06:17:36 PM »
just wondering where you took your deer

Offline XII Outdoors

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2007, 06:25:16 PM »
thats why I only take it to someone I trust.  I am very fortunate, my butcher is a friend and I know the deer I take him is the deer I get back and all of the meat too. 

Offline usmarine2001

• Nubbie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2007, 02:45:24 AM »
depending on the weather, I try to do up my own as well, but when I am in a bind I take it to a ol timer on the other side of the county who does up cattle as well. which is nice cause I can get my deer meat back and half a beef all in the same trip. I too have had the bad cuts of meat and just don't go back to them anymore. Kinda like playing the lottery I guess

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2007, 07:32:15 AM »
just wondering where you took your deer
That I don't want to say

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2007, 08:34:55 AM »
I will never take another deer in to get it cut up!! We process our own deer and only bring in meat that already cut up to get jerky, hot sticks, salami or summer sausage made, other than that' we're the only ones that touch our deer! But there is an awesome place right by my house that cuts up deer and does a good job, but i still dont want noone doing it for me!!  Sorry bout your misfortune!!!  Call me up next time i'll do it cheeper and better!!!

Whitetail
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2007, 01:25:39 PM »
got that deer all trimmed up re cut and re wrapped boy did i learn a lesson tonight if you want it done right do it yourself

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2007, 09:33:40 PM »
I had the privilege of having my father and uncle to teach me the process. We aren't pro butchers but once you know the basics and maybe waste a roast or two it's not hard, just time consuming. I tend to be a little anal with my work, but two of us can still have an entire deer done in about four hours and the hamburg/sausage meat is precubed. I would recommend anyone who has the chance should learn how. I have a friends deer in my garage, we're teaching him how this year, all you really need in my opinion is two good knives and a vacuum sealer.

Offline Mooter

• 6 Pointer
  • NICE RACK
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2007, 10:33:25 AM »
My Dad, Wife, Sister, a Buddy and I cut up 4 deer in 3.5 hours a couple weeks ago.  That all the ground meat ground and streaks cut cubed wrapped and in the freezer.  The kicker is the beer.  We try not to drink any till the meats in the freezer but after it's done there is another 3.5 hours you have to devote to the celebration of the harvest and a mean steak on the grill.  This year we've done 7 big game animals.  The going rate here in Wyoming is about $65 per animal and thats without any special sausage, jerky or snack sticks.  I do my own sausage (that's whats for lunch today) and I've been making some kickin jerky going on about 15 years now.  I haven't figured out the right recipe for beer sticks but I've been working on a few different renditions and should have it down this winter.

You should have seen the one I let get away.
PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
http://www.tshirthell.com/store/link.php?id=TW9vdGVy

Offline Lobes

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2007, 10:48:02 AM »
Mooter -
Sounds like you folks have a pretty good program going for processing your deer. We take a little longer than that but it's probably because we're doing the beer and grilling celebration as we cut. But that's just to make sure if something comes up as soon as we're done we don't miss out on the celebration!

NBG

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2007, 03:35:02 PM »
Just went ot gander ountian for their early bird sale bought a meat band saw with a grinder 3/4 hp for 50 bucks can't go wrong with that sale i bone out by meat anyway but you can't even buy a 3/4 hp grinder for 50 bucks

Offline northwoodsaddict

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2007, 06:48:13 AM »
i always cut up my own deer for myself and everyone in the family. its something i enjoy and it usually takes me 2-3 hours to skin and butcher a deer, then i turn the meat over to my dad and he does all the trimming
IceShanty=brookiebomber477

Offline roscoe

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2007, 09:28:44 PM »
I also process my skin ,hang ,and then debone and trim all my own before taking the meat to a local to make sausage,etc. Learned the hard way as well.no problems anymore. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal