Author Topic: Turkey in Idaho.  (Read 11446 times)

Offline hooknhunter

• Forked
Turkey in Idaho.
« on: Mar 29, 2011, 11:58:33 AM »
Anyone going after a Turkey here in Idaho?  I am planning on going out, just can't decide if I am going to go close to home, or if I want to run up to central Idaho.
Keep your gunpowder dry and your fishing hooks wet.

Offline Archery Central

• Nubbie
Re: Turkey in Idaho.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2011, 12:02:32 PM »
yea your going out with me - this is Matt,
Matt

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2011, 05:18:21 PM »
Good luck out there fellas. 8)

Brentster7189

« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2011, 11:31:49 PM »
I just got my box call today, I'm excited to try something new, I just need to figure out where I want to go...where those darn things are hanging out!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2011, 05:19:29 AM »
yea your going out with me - this is Matt,
Matt

Welcome to the site Archery Central and  Brentster7189.  I hope you guys enjoy it here.....
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline hooknhunter

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2011, 08:08:09 AM »
I just got my box call today, I'm excited to try something new, I just need to figure out where I want to go...where those darn things are hanging out!

I can tell you this much.  You'll have a lot better (more enjoyable) time and lot better chance of killing a bird if you can get on some private land.

Offline Archery Central

• Nubbie
« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2011, 12:55:37 PM »
yea that's the truth, private land if you got access, I don't..... :(
Matt

Offline hooknhunter

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2011, 12:25:10 PM »
I went and did some scouting yesterday.  Very disappointing.  My "guage" is an area I've been hunting and scouting for years.  The fewest birds I've ever seen there is 3 toms and about 10 hens.  Yesterday, there was 1 tom and 0 hens.  I did see some birds on private land, but the private land I usually hunt is locked up for me this year.  Looks like it is going to be a very tough year. :( :( :( :(.  I haven't given up though. 

Once I got home, I was putting the ATV away and it started making a noise in the clutch area.  Perhaps I'm losing a belt.  I'll try to get it figured out this week.  Seems everything I've touched in the last 24 hours as gone to heck.......
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2011, 09:07:02 AM by hooknhunter »

Brentster7189

« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2011, 11:46:41 PM »
Good luck with your ride.  Sorry to hear about the birds, any reason why the number would be low?

Offline hooknhunter

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2011, 09:08:15 AM »
Good luck with your ride.  Sorry to hear about the birds, any reason why the number would be low?

Hard winter, hard winter in 2007 without a great rebound in populations, birds are lower than normal due to late spring.  We seem to be about 1-2 full weeks behind the norm.....

Offline Archery Central

• Nubbie
« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2011, 09:29:09 AM »
thats not very good.... I am planning on going scouting this week one day I think, did you see lots of snow? is that why you think it's going too be a late spring? I have an appt. on Friday, but will be available after 12a.m. hooknhunter.. let me know if your up for at least going on a drive on opening day, do you plan on going out opening weekend? or you can call me.....
Matt

Offline hooknhunter

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2011, 11:54:38 AM »
Kill-switch,

There was lots of snow.  More than I've ever seen this late.  I think there are birds, I just think they are really low.  Those on private land are going to slay them, I think.  I talked to one of my land owners where I usually get in.  He already has people lined up.  I should have called a month earlier.  He said he has had only a few birds on his place.  While I was there Saturday, I saw about 30 birds on his place at least 5 of which were toms, which is somewhere between normal and 1.5-2x of normal for his place.  He said he hadn't seen more than 1 tom until that day.  I think they are just now starting to move up good, which is why (I think) there was only 1 bird on my "gauge" location.  Right now I am un-decided if I want to go out this week end or not.  I could be persuaded if I knew we could get on birds, but it will probably be the usual opening weekend ZOO, which is not much fun IMO.  I'd like to wait until Thursday of next week then hit it for a day.  I tried to call you on Saturday afternoon, but you didn't answer.

Are you going to scout out some of your usual spots we talked about?  Either way, call me and give me a report when you get back.

Offline Archery Central

• Nubbie
« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2011, 07:04:32 PM »
bad service out here, sometimes the phone rings and other time's it doesn't..... :o retarded.. anyway, yea I was thinking Wed. I would go look around and make a decision than, but I think we should do Wed. next week so basically in 9 days... I hate opening weekend also, don't ever go out than unless it opens in the middle of the week.... try and call me about 7:45 p.m. tonight, dinner is running alittle late, forgot too take meat out, so hot water too unthaw....
Matt

Offline hooknhunter

• Forked
« Reply #13 on: Apr 12, 2011, 08:08:33 AM »
Wednesday's are out for me.  I was hoping we could make it Thursday.

Offline Archery Central

• Nubbie
« Reply #14 on: Apr 12, 2011, 10:15:26 AM »
I could do a thursday.... that would be fine...
Matt

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal