Author Topic: Bear Hunting.....distinguishing male from female?  (Read 9144 times)

Offline Bigdoughty

• Nubbie
Bear Hunting.....distinguishing male from female?
« on: Jul 27, 2011, 09:27:32 PM »
So after four months of planning I was in my tree stand today and I saw my bear I have been tracking. She came down through the path just like I thought. But the problem is that it is a she. After spotting her two little cubs were playing around and following Mama. So glad to see this but so sad it was a mama. Will not be harvesting that one. But this leads me to my question? If i am out hunting is there a way I can spot a Male of Female before I take it down. The last thing I want is to leave cubs stranded. Horrible karma! Can any one give me some advise on this issue it would real help because I have three more stands for bear out there with activity?

New Hampshire Hunter
Good things happen to those who wait only after those who hustle. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
Re: Bear Hunting.....distinguishing male from female?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2011, 06:22:30 AM »
Welcome to the site BD!  I am not a bear hunter by any means and I completely stole this info below from another web site but from the one time I hunted Bears out in Washington St. these were pretty much the same rules they used when they were teaching me...good luck and we look forward to seeing some good pics

1 Look at the face and head of the bear. If the ears seem to be large in proportion to the head, and the face seems narrow instead of round, it is likely a female. A male usually has a wider and rounder head, making its ears appear smaller in proportion to its head.

2 Observe the bear when it urinates. If the urine appears to come from underneath the bear's belly, it is most likely a male. If the bear squats and/or the urine appears to come from its back end, it's probably a female.

3 Assess the body of the bear. If the body is large and round, it probably is a male. Black bear females are usually smaller and leaner than males.

Another good picture page...

http://larrywbrown.blogspot.com/2009/10/difference-between-male-and-female.html
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2011, 06:26:20 AM by huntny30 »
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2011, 06:38:59 AM »
Sorry dont know a whole lot about bears. Just wanted to say welcome and good luck.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2011, 07:26:22 AM »
What state are you hunting in? I see you signed your post NH hunter? Hope a big boar heads your way soon!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline atplayart

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2011, 07:52:20 AM »
Welcome to the site BD!  I am not a bear hunter by any means and I completely stole this info below from another web site but from the one time I hunted Bears out in Washington St. these were pretty much the same rules they used when they were teaching me...good luck and we look forward to seeing some good pics

1 Look at the face and head of the bear. If the ears seem to be large in proportion to the head, and the face seems narrow instead of round, it is likely a female. A male usually has a wider and rounder head, making its ears appear smaller in proportion to its head.

2 Observe the bear when it urinates. If the urine appears to come from underneath the bear's belly, it is most likely a male. If the bear squats and/or the urine appears to come from its back end, it's probably a female.

3 Assess the body of the bear. If the body is large and round, it probably is a male. Black bear females are usually smaller and leaner than males.

hav shot around twenty bears archery-- all the above are good indicators-- but almost impossible to tell for sure -- if a bear has lost her cubs due to sickness or death of sume kind you can mistake a big female for a male quite easily  specially in the fall when they weigh over 100 lbs more than in spring-- if she has cubs they will be near her unless they are in second year these cubs are old enuf in my opion to survive without mom--  so best way to tell in my opion is cubs-- bears will hang out on my baits for sometime over an hour so if they hav cubs i will see em  i use oats with greese from deep fryers (french fries   chicken ) get from restaurants-- use 45 galloon drumwith holes in it chained to tree -- bears roll it around on ground an can't take food in bush to eat so they hav to come in to bait while i'm there an stay if they want to eat :)  good luck to ya :)

Offline hooknhunter

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2011, 08:11:03 AM »

Good luck using those techniques.  Other than #2 (watch it urinate), it is extremely difficule to judge.  It takes years of experience and even then you'll be wrong probably close to 25% of the time.  I've been hunting bears quite a while and have killed a Coastal Brown Bear in Alaska.  One thing I am sure of....... It is difficult to tell unless you can see it urinate. 

My advice, look for cubs.  If it doesn't have cubs and it is the bear you think you want, shoot it.
Keep your gunpowder dry and your fishing hooks wet.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal