Author Topic: Acorns  (Read 3932 times)

Offline Saratoga Leo

• Nubbie
Acorns
« on: Jul 31, 2007, 09:12:10 PM »
Anyone else notice the acorns already on the ground?  On my land in saratoga the acorns are already hitting the ground and in pretty good numbers.  If seems a little early or not?
I love animals!  There so tasty.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
Re: Acorns
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2007, 11:06:30 PM »
havnt noticed much of acorns on the ground yet over here in WNY, but it does seem a little early if you have them on the ground ??? isnt it usually late sept. early oct. before they hit the ground ???

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2007, 10:48:03 AM »
While scouting the farm yesterday. Lots of apples and hickory nuts. No acorns.  :P
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline MZukovsky

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2007, 01:03:32 PM »
I own land in oswego and have noticed the acorns already on the ground. not in huge numbers but they're starting.

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2007, 05:42:54 PM »
ACORNS ALL OVER!!! Every place i hunt there is acorns all over on the ground already, the deer are lovin em too!
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline rondog

• Nubbie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2007, 08:30:43 AM »
I'm not seeing meny turkeys in the fields anymore,which tells me there into the nuts

Offline iceplank

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2007, 01:23:45 PM »
YES - big time in the capital district area we have nuts on the ground everywhere. Acorns   (green) since august  they have rippened over the last week. yesterday in the woods in colonie it was raining acorns like a thunderstorm. No joke. white and red oaks. May be hard to pattern those deer in the bigger lots. They can just munch on them right in their bedding area.

Offline Corporal Punishment

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2007, 03:24:41 PM »
I hope we have a good Acorn crop this year but there is none coming from the one in my dads yard yet.I remember about 5 years ago it was about 3" thick with acorns under that tree.They say they drop in cycles,some years bad and then a banner crop.I know the apple crop was pretty good this year but was still not a banner year IMO,but the deer are going crazy on them right now. ;D

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2007, 03:55:21 PM »
i've see apples on trees that haven't had apples in a few years IMO its a great crop of apples this year

Offline Tom Leitz

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 2007, 06:11:38 PM »
The area I hunt in the central adirondacks has clearly had a poor season for acorns.  Very few on the ground and on the trees.   :(

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Sep 27, 2007, 06:21:35 PM »
there are lots of beechnuts and cherries though

Offline grousemaster789

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Sep 28, 2007, 05:27:41 AM »
We have a lot of acorns down over here in michigan. About 3/4 are down and 1/4 are still up
"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact." -Aldo Leopold

Offline jerrygeb

• Nubbie
  • North Thurston, NY
« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2007, 05:35:11 AM »
I was seeing them on the ground during the first week of September. Not too many, but green ones here and there.
There doesn't seem to be many on the trees though.

Offline chillywillie

• 6 Pointer
  • Buxton, Maine
« Reply #13 on: Sep 28, 2007, 09:24:16 AM »
There is a huge acorn and apple crop this year in southern maine.  It will definitely make the deer more scattered.

Offline rondog

• Nubbie
« Reply #14 on: Sep 28, 2007, 09:29:50 AM »
YES - big time in the capital district area we have nuts on the ground everywhere. Acorns   (green) since august  they have rippened over the last week. yesterday in the woods in colonie it was raining acorns like a thunderstorm. No joke. white and red oaks. May be hard to pattern those deer in the bigger lots. They can just munch on them right in their bedding area.

Stay with the white oaks and you cant go wrong!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal