Author Topic: Stueben County Guys  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Step2Jimi

• 6 Pointer
Stueben County Guys
« on: Oct 18, 2017, 08:44:19 PM »
Our crew will be heading down this year on November 1st. For those of you who see this. Can you fill me in as to what your seeing as far as rut activity goes.

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
Re: Stueben County Guys
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2017, 02:20:02 PM »
as I'm sure you know my father and I are both in Northern Steuben county... right now not a sign of the rut is being shown, I did put out a mock scrape this past weekend and ill be checking the cams weekly to see any signs of the rut... must years at least here it seems to happen about or after Halloween.... but anyways where in Steuben are you going and are you hunting public lands??

Offline Step2Jimi

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2017, 08:27:33 PM »
My buddies mother and aunt own their old family farm. We've had the privilege to hunt there the last 8 years or so. Were lucky in that were the only ones tk hunt it and it get policed well. I killed my biggest buck down there last year on october 30th. He responded very aggressively to a doe bleat/buck grunt combo. We've had mixed results as far as catching the rut is concerned. A few years back on opening morning of gun I saw some of the most intense chasing if ever seen.  Other years nothing but still always far mkre deer then I have up here. Well be down November 2nd to 5th and then back for firearm opening. I'm not quite sure where in stueben it is buy it's county 3rd 60.

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2017, 04:01:56 PM »
county rd 60 is down in greenwood/west union... good area over there in 8X, used to hunt over on Jackson hill road in the town of Greenwood

Offline Step2Jimi

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2017, 07:33:14 PM »
When I first started going down, the first 2 years, the guys did drives. Shot some deer but never seemed to get much quality. Most of the guys have drifted now and in the 4 years I convinced my buddy to stop beating up the property with drives. We've taken 3 good bucks sense then and layed on eyes on a few giant whitetails. It's much different then hunting up here.  Up here you see 5 deer in a night it's a great night. When I hunt down there it's an all day sit.

Offline Step2Jimi

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2017, 12:05:34 PM »
looks like you guys have a cold front moving in. Hope it gets them going just in time for us to come in next week. Can't wait to show my dad what stueben county has to offer.

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2017, 12:11:46 PM »
looks like you guys have a cold front moving in. Hope it gets them going just in time for us to come in next week. Can't wait to show my dad what stueben county has to offer.
cant wait... been real slow here, almost all night time movement so I'm hoping this snow coming will have them on their feet in daylight hours

Offline Step2Jimi

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2017, 03:02:16 PM »
Heading down first thing tomorrow morning. be there at noon. anyone seeing any chasing?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal