Author Topic: CROWS  (Read 10440 times)

Offline chez

• Forked
CROWS
« on: Sep 18, 2013, 11:48:33 AM »
ANY CROW HUNTERS OUT THERE?

We love crow hunting.One of my favorite sports.In between hunting season and waiting for the ice we hit them hard.
                     We use about a dozen hard shell crows a owl decoy and a few battery operated  crow decoys. i have an electronic caller with a half dozen crow tapes.We run and gun as they say.Hit a spot ,get some shooting in and move to another.We find it to be very fast paced and tons of fun.
 We hunt mostly woodlots and swamps for them.An occasional farm feild in between.SOME DAYS we will kill 12 to 15 crows in a morning.Other days we will blow off 4 boxes of shell without a kill.Any of you guys that do it knows the fun it can be.Anyone looking for something different to do this winter should give it a try.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
Re: CROWS
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2013, 12:16:41 PM »
Guy I dove hunt with goes in the winter he loves it. I may try it this winter if we don't have ice after deer season ends.  He uses a fox pro and hunt manly fields I guess.  It sounds like it could be fun

Offline bone_and_beard

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2013, 02:06:18 PM »
Crows are hard to hunt they have very good vision, with that being said put out the owl decoy and play the wounded crow tape and be ready for a sore shoulder in the morning!

Offline fishnmachine

• 8 Pointer
  • Take 'em!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2013, 02:11:45 PM »
Throw some minnows on the ice and lean back in the sun against the shanty!
It'll chew...

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2013, 02:36:32 PM »
I like shooting hum hum I mean hunting crows.....  Our season started Sept 1st..    ;D ;D
The one thing that really pisses me off is you cant hunt on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays..... >:( >:( >:(

Click on videos and turn up the volume....    8)

« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2013, 02:37:55 PM by Raquettedacker »
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline rebelss

• Forked
  • Gun control is using both hands
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2013, 02:59:22 PM »
You'd love it here... City has thousands of crows they can't get rid of, so many they have to plow the poop off downtown sidewalks. Spent $25,000 on some company that came in with laser lights and widdle firecrackers to scare them off. Friggin' crows are far smarter than the City Council...as soon as the noise quits, they come right back, but you can't tell the city anything.  >:(

http://youtu.be/o0k9sExvYVc
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2013, 03:02:09 PM by rebelss »

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2013, 03:07:51 PM »
Yea we have a few places around like that..... 8)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2013, 03:09:58 PM »
Oh yeah and dead crows Laid out on the ground make excellent decoys....    ;D ;D

Offline fishnmachine

• 8 Pointer
  • Take 'em!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2013, 06:13:21 PM »
.....And remember kids, dead crows don't eat corn!!!!!  ;D
It'll chew...

Offline mschott

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2013, 06:48:49 PM »
.....And remember kids, dead crows don't eat corn!!!!!  ;D

ya and they don't sit at the top of the tree you're leaning against looking for a trophy buck while they sing their song lol
Bad decisions make for good stories !

Offline chez

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Sep 19, 2013, 07:34:39 AM »
wE CAN ONLY HUNT THEM FRIDAY,SATURDAY AND SUNDAY.tHEY GO OUT OF SEASON LAST DAY OF MARCH AND COME BACK IN FIRST DAY OF JULY.
a LITTLE TRICK I USE MAY HELP YOU CROW HUNTERS OUT IS.i HAVE A POCKET FISHERMAN POLE.i TIE A 3/4 BANK SINKER ON THE END OF THE LINE.i TOSS IT OVER THE HIGHEST BRANCH IN A TREE NEAR MY SETUP.i LOWER THE SINKER DOWN AND TIE MY BEST CROW DECOY TO THE END OF THE LINE.tHEN I REEL IT TO THE TOP OF THE TREE.tHE WEIGHT OF THE REEL HOLDS IT IN PLACE.aFTER THE HUNT I LOWER IT BACK TO THE GROUND  CUT OFF THE DECOY PUT THE SINKER BACK ON AND MOVE TO THE NEXT SPOT.tHEY SEE THAT DECOY IN THE TREE HEIGH UP AS THE SCOUT AND THEY FEEL MUCH SAFER TO COME IN FOR A LOOK.gIVE IT A TRY.mY SUCSESS RATE INPROVED GREATLY.
    wHEN THEY COME BACK IN IN JULY THE YOUNGER CROWS ARE EASY.tHEY HAVE NEVER HEARD A CALL BEFORE OR SEEN A DECOY SET UP.lOTS OF SHOOTING.iT IS JUST A LOT HOTTER AND A LOT MORE LEAVES ON THE TREES.gIVE IT A TRY.tONS OF FUN.

im GLAD TO SEE THERE ARE A LOT OF YOU GUYS THAT TRIED crow hunting.{im not the only nut over it} lol.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #11 on: Sep 19, 2013, 07:42:15 AM »
Good trick.....

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #12 on: Sep 19, 2013, 08:27:12 AM »
i love hunting crows, been really thinking about getting into it with decoys and everything, i dont have a call and only use my mouth but we have shot a few like that, might just have to get out.

@Dom it is pretty bogus the days we cant hunt them, i never understood that
Take a Kid outside...

Offline tubeslinger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 19, 2013, 10:51:17 AM »
How do they taste? ;D ;D

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #14 on: Sep 19, 2013, 10:56:31 AM »
How do they taste? ;D ;D

not too bad actually depending on what area you shoot them, its like a bear with wings
Take a Kid outside...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal