Author Topic: Trophy Room is now full (my freezer...that is !!!)  (Read 4648 times)

Offline blue igloo

• 6 Pointer
  • "we don't remember days....only moments"
Trophy Room is now full (my freezer...that is !!!)
« on: Nov 07, 2006, 06:58:40 AM »
My muzzleloader deer season is now over.
Went out late yesterday afternoon to ambush a nice 4x4 I had patterned the week before. After 2 hours of waiting, I lured him out of his hiding spot using my bag-o-tricks. He left the safety of cover and walked out 100 yards in the open right to me, a mere 35 paces away. The bullet hit him so hard, I bowled him over end for end.........he was dead before he hit the ground!
The trophy room....er I mean....the freezer will be brimming with some fine venison  ;D
Blue Igloo  :)
"we don't remember days....only moments"

Offline brian d

• Forked
Re: Trophy Room is now full (my freezer...that is !!!)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2006, 12:48:04 PM »
That's awsome to get one in the trophy room already.
I've been meaning for years to get a muzzle loader. But so much to do so little time.
Any tips on what to look for in a muzzle loader entry level ?

Offline lucky

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2006, 09:25:52 AM »

That's awsome to get one in the trophy room already.
I've been meaning for years to get a muzzle loader. But so much to do so little time.
Any tips on what to look for in a muzzle loader entry level ?

here is  tip on a muzzleloader to buy . it will cost a little bit about 500 dollars or so but worth it . a savage 10ml fits the bill i am new at muzzleloader hunting. a freind talked me into buying one and im glad he did. being able to use smokeless powder is a treat not having to come home and clean your gun right away and the accuracy and distances you can reach out to are very nice in the feild. i would recommend the savage 10 ml to anyone you will not be sorry you bought one  and you'll be thankful for the tip.         good luck hunting              thedeerhunter.

Offline jaeger

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2006, 04:54:51 PM »
Good job blue, 4x4 should make a nice eater! I'm a trophy hunter as well, lol, but antlers make for mighty thin soup! Nice to bring one home with headgear though.

Guess ya outsmarted that fella. Hunted whitetails myself for almost 30 years now. Amazing how intelligent they can be but pure creatures of habit and oh... what a weakness!

I'm out with my crew on the second week of the general. Spill over into the third should there be a buck tag open.

Ted

Offline blue igloo

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2006, 06:55:48 PM »
You can't go wrong with any of the new MZs now on the market today. Some of the older types had too many loose parts for my liking. I know of one hunter who fumbled and had pieces fall to the ground while trying to reload his MZ after missing the first shot.(unnamed type to protect embarrassing other owners of the same gun  ;D)
I'm really fond of the new TC Encore Pro-Hunter but can't justify upgrading yet from my tiny but LETHAL Knight Wolverine.

I use (made in Manitoba)  Precision Rifle Bullets.........I have never been disappointed by their performance. In fact, I'm always shocked to see the devastation those bullets produce. Unmatched expansion and retention.....

The powder selection today has improved tenfold in just a few years. American Pioneer Powder is the new kid on the block today but when I moved up from Hodgen's Premium Select to Triple 7, I saw an improvement in both cleanliness and increased range and accuracy........plus it don't STINK!  :o That's really important if you follow the #1 Cardinal Rule of hunting......hunt facing the wind!!!!  ::)

Smokeless powder in a smokepole.......isn't that an oxymoron  ???

This year I made the decision to take either a wallhanger (preferably a drop-tined buck) or a nice eater buck.....whichever came first. You already know who showed up to my call  :D  .......besides I really don't have any more room in my other trophy room (the walled one!  ;D)

Good Luck to all the lucky ones that have a chance to continue playing in the great outdoors......I'm done for the year due to upcoming personal comitments.  :(
Blue Igloo

Offline thebuckmaster

• Nubbie
  • " One Shot, One Kill "
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2006, 10:55:33 PM »

I'm really fond of the new TC Encore Pro-Hunter but can't justify upgrading yet from my tiny but LETHAL Knight Wolverine.

I use (made in Manitoba)  Precision Rifle Bullets.........I have never been disappointed by their performance. In fact, I'm always shocked to see the devastation those bullets produce. Unmatched expansion and retention.....

Good Luck to all the lucky ones that have a chance to continue playing in the great outdoors......I'm done for the year due to upcoming personal comitments.  :(
Blue Igloo

Finished muzzleloader season yesterday with a three point buck for the freezer.
Kurt (mr.interlake) was with me yesterday when I harvested the buck.
I am presently using a TC Encore Magnum SS and just love it.
I'm also using 300gr Dead Center bullets from Precision rifle with 110gr 777 powder and really like the knock down power of them!
I also have a Knight Predator SS that I have used for many years before the Encore and also really like the accuracy of that MZ!
Kurt witnessed the knock down power of that Muzzle setup and talked about how he is going to buy that exact Muzzle and bullet for next year.
I'm sure you'll hear from him on the ice about yesterday!
I have a couple of buds using smokeless powder in their Encore's and say it works great.
Thinking of trying that American powder next year.
Had a great muzzle season, looking forward to starting rifle on Monday! ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2006, 11:09:31 PM by TheBuckMaster »

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2006, 01:30:51 PM »
Nice buck BI, I have been temped to get a muzzleloader, but I don't see it making sense for me, don't need the extra deer, and I need to make the bow pay for once.

Hey BI hows your son doing, if you don't mind me asking?

Offline blue igloo

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2006, 06:22:56 PM »
Hey BI hows your son doing, if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks for asking fly-in.....he's doing fine.....all back to normal.
He started a new day job so he couldn't join me in the deer woods this year....maybe next year  :)
Blue Igloo

Offline roscoe

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2006, 07:17:28 PM »
congrats on your MZ buck B.I. ;D I still have an any deer tag & a doe tag so I'll keep you posted.! ;D

Offline Deer-Downer

• 6 Pointer
  • Total deer taken in my life....7.... still count'n
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2006, 10:12:43 AM »
 I tried hard with Muzzle this season but never got er done. We rattled in a real 5 by 5 at about 70 yrds but when I pulled the trigger only the percusion cap went off and he just trotted off like nothing happen. Still lots of fun though ;D ;D
I May Be Small But I Hunt Big!!

!!Hunting!! I'm in it for the !!BUCKS!!

Deer-Downer

Offline blue igloo

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2006, 06:22:43 PM »
Did you forget to load the other end?  LOL..  :D
Sorry  :-[ couldn't help myself........
You still had fun and that's what's it all about  :)
Next year he'll be that much bigger  8)
Blue Igloo

Offline Deer-Downer

• 6 Pointer
  • Total deer taken in my life....7.... still count'n
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2006, 08:50:48 AM »
 Ha your funny yah we did we just think that the powder was a little damp and when he went to just empty it with a new percussion cap there was quiet a long pause [ for a muzzleloader ] until it fired. Yah bigger next year this was about a 130 class 5 by 5 maybe not the biggest but it is to me ;D ;D.
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2006, 08:52:31 AM by Deer-Downer »
I May Be Small But I Hunt Big!!

!!Hunting!! I'm in it for the !!BUCKS!!

Deer-Downer

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal