Author Topic: Please help me decide which is better fit/which would you recommend and why?  (Read 8180 times)

Offline krbuell

• Nubbie
I have narrowed down my choices to either a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Compact SS/Laminate in 7mm-08 or the Savage Arms Lady Hunter in the same caliber.  I have managed to find both (at different gun shops though) to shoulder them.  I truly cannot decide which one to order in my preferred caliber.  My present gun is a Browning A-Bolt purchased by hubby for me, but LOP is too long, and I also cannot get cheek weld and see through the scope properly, even though the scope is mounted on low rings.

I like the balance of the Ruger and the small size will make maneuverability while in a climber excellent.  The 12.5" LOP seems about perfect for me (I'm 5'4", and taking into consideration my heavy hunting clothes).  I just don't know if I'm going to have the same cheek weld/eye relief/scope problem.  I've also read a lot of conflicting information on the LC6 trigger being a hard pull or having a lot of variance off the assembly line in trigger pull force necessary, and it's not user adjustable.  Haven't found a local gunsmith that will do trigger work if I got one that was sticky, hard to pull or had a lot of creep (all complaints I've read on this trigger).

The Lady Hunter gives a higher comb, same LOP, and Accu-Trigger (which I liked).  However, since not available in stainless as a production model, I would have to special order and pay upcharge of several $$$ for this option, and DH says go with stainless barrel. I honestly don't know though if it's worth paying considerably more for this gun or if I'd be just as happy wiht the Ruger in the long run, adding an aftermarket strap on cheek raiser if needed.

Anyone own either of these?  Opinions?  Please help me as I have to make a decision and order soon, as I drew a bear tag this year and want to get in lots of practice with the gun before the season opens.  I know I've developed bad gun shouldering habits due to trying to use a gun that was too big for me for the past several years before finally getting DH to understand that the gun simply doesn't fit me.  Rather than trying to have the gun restocked and made over for me, we are keeping that gun for his use and buying me a gun that suits a smaller framed shooter.

Thanks in advance.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
I own the Ruger Hawkeye M77 Compact in .308 and love it! It is a dream to carry with that 16.5 in. barrel and loses no accuracy. But back to what you are interested in, my Wife is small, 5'1" and the gun fits her awesome! She likes it alot and the .308 is not to much kick for her............
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
Also the new Lc6 trigger always breaks like glass on any new ones I try, it was the old ones I grew up with that were the heavy sticky ones, Diff. trigger and safety system back then, 3 point safetys now........

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
krbuell, welcome to the site from Oswego,NY. I just purchased a Savage Lady Hunter for my wife. As you mentioned the stock dimensions are correctly done for a woman, the cheek piece is higher because women typically have longer necks than men. I'm a manufacture's rep and I looked at the Savage line at the Shot Show in LasVegas in January. I asked to see the new model 11 Lightweight Hunter and said I was looking for a new rifle for my wife. I figured that I could have the stosk cut down to fit her. The young lady that I was speaking with was a rep for the company and said why not get her the new Lady Hunter. She also told me that she was the model for the stock dimensions.My hunting buddy who is a gun nut insisted on breaking the barrel in properly { something I've never done } and just informed me that it's ready. Our gunsmith is now bedding the barrel and it should be ready in a week. My choice of caliber was the Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor which is a fairly new caliber originally developed foe long range shooting but now also recognized as a great deer choice. The trigger on this rifle broke at a crisp 3 #'s. We put a Nikon Monarch 2 1/2 - 10 X 42 BDC scope on it also. If you want to know more about the 6.5 Creedmoor there's a great article in the November issue of Guns & Ammo.

Peddler
Peddler

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Welcome to the site krbuell..... ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
Welcome to the site krbuell ... From the Northeast Kingdom of VT.   :)  I have the same probelm with the long trigger pull's as well , I'm a 12 1/2" my self
                                           Not many brands want to cater to the short armed Guy, I always send back to factory have stocks cut down , sure fits some
                                           what ok during summer come fall got to reach for the trigger . Take your HUNTING CLOTHING with you put them on know try
                                           putting the GUN to your shoulder see witch fit's better , Reaching for the trigger is no good   ;)  ;D ;D

Offline krbuell

• Nubbie
Update.  Opinions, switch choice to Hawkeye Compact in .308 (only caliber I've been able to find available) or Remington 700 LSS Mountain in 7mm-08? 

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
Update.  Opinions, switch choice to Hawkeye Compact in .308 (only caliber I've been able to find available) or Remington 700 LSS Mountain in 7mm-08?
  I'd go 7mm-08 ;)

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck

I wouldn't trade my Ruger Compact .308 for one that's for sure!

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
Taking into consideration how closely the 7mm 08 and. 308 are I'd say just pick what gun you like best because there isn't enough differnece in those 2 calibers to let caliber be any kind of deciding factor IMO. I have a couple of buddies who have the compacts and love them for long walks to the treestand and for manueverability. Plus they look nice  ;D. So that would be my choice, seems like an ideal gun for a lady hunter. Although I've never handled or seen the Remington lss mountain so who am I to pick favorites haha   :P. Whatever you choose hope it brings ya some good luck with the bear! PS. Welcome to the site

Offline krbuell

• Nubbie
Gosh, I thought I had updated this.  Anyway, hi, again. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their advice and opinions. I did end up getting a used Ruger 77 Mark II in 7mm-08. The stock on this one is rougher shape than anticipated, but I'm thinking I may either try to refinish it or order a new Boyd's stock for it after this hunting season (I really love that cinnamon/brown color one they have). Such is the chance you take buying sight unseen other than photos. Thankfully, the bolt and barrel are in beautiful condition and the gun shoots true.

I have found I'm really happy with this rifle. The size and weight are great. I have no issues with cheek weld and seeing through my scope without having to add an aftermarket cheek riser. The shorter LOP and stock dimensions for this rifle seems to have solved that. To any other members looking for a rifle for their child/wife/shorter stature individual, I can happily recommend this rifle to them, whenever Ruger gets them back out into the market again (newer model being the Ruger Hawkeye Compact). The 7mm-08 is a great all around cartridge with minimal recoil even in such a short-barreled and light rifle.

While it is an extremely loud little gun, there is much less recoil than I expected. I think the Browning A-Bolt had a harder kick to it. Anyway, thanks again, everyone. I'm now sighted in and looking forward to bear season coming up in about 5 weeks.

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
Good luck, got my wife's 6.5 Creedmoor back last week and it's a real shooter. 7mm-08 should be a good fit for a lady, hope you get your bear.

Peddler  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Peddler

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
You made the right decision 8) My Ruger compact in .308 is my favorite rifle I own and the wife loves it too. Huge Ruger fan and it helps support my home of NH, we have a factory in Newport. Ruger caters too southpaws like myself as well.......

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
You won't be sorry with the 7mm- 08 does what i want and then some " krbuell "  ;) :) :)
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2012, 04:09:31 AM by Green Mountian Hunter »

Offline krbuell

• Nubbie
Hi, everyone.  Rather than starting a new thread, I'm just adding to this one with pics of the 300 pound sow I took after sitting 2 hours in the rain.  I think the hubby was more excited than I was.  He was supposed to be videotaping, but had to get up and take a leak.  He no sooner got up and crept down the trail and I had two bears come in.  I was patient and waited for this big gal to come out, scaring away the smaller bear that were at the bait pile.  Angle of shot, went in behind one shoulder, apparently ricocheted on the opposite shoulder and came out her spine.  She just dropped over on her side and that was it, no tracking needed  :D.

Will attach pics as soon as I figure out how. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal