Author Topic: Close Encounters of the Jake Kind(video)  (Read 3440 times)

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
Close Encounters of the Jake Kind(video)
« on: Apr 17, 2012, 08:05:56 AM »
Figured this morning would be perfect to go out and listen for some gobbles after yesterdays heat, clear skies and no wind this morning; I wasn't disappointed. Had one or two birds gobbling just over a knob on a flat, they were close, I could hear spit/drumming. 8) Had my digital camera and wanted to get some gobbles recorded, I was able to sneak close and use a big oak to hide behind. The bird must have heard me and thought there was a hen maybe, I was wearing black, too. He came right to me and eventually was in the open at 15 yds, then he skirted around to the other side to see what was there. Footage is a little shaky, no image stablization; gobbles were much louder in person than on the vid. Enjoy, not the best but you'll get the idea; most of it is sideways because I was trying to hide the camera. 8)

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2012, 09:03:56 AM by CAPTJJ »
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
Re: Close Encoumters of the Jake Kind(video)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2012, 08:11:44 AM »
cool video
Take a Kid outside...

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
Re: Close Encounters of the Jake Kind(video)
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2012, 10:00:20 AM »
I now know why you can't hunt turkeys in April in NY, apparently all you have to do is find a gobbling tom, blow on a crow call a few times and they come right to you. Did some more scouting this morning,  not as much gobbling as yesterday. Found one bird that was gobbling good near a popular roost spot, figuerd he was with hens and went to scope it out from a distance. As I got closer the gobbling got louder, and I heard clucks and a light yelp and figured hens; no, it was a lone tom, looked like a 2 year old, and he was looking for love. He came up the hill towards me and stopped about 30-35 yds away and gobbled a bunch, finally he headed off right towards a house. Of course I didn't have the camera with me; ran back to the truck and managed to get a shot of him in the backyard, he was gobbling and strutting away till he saw me. Guess I found his strut zone, makes sense not many openings in the woods. He was under the porch. :o ;D

Have seen this hen a couple times, no toms around, but this is the same spot I got a nice bird two years ago, saw a hen and the tom finally showed up.

Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2012, 10:15:58 AM »
sure seem to be finding the birds, not many around where I  am, but I guess Ill try a little scouting soon, maybe ill find one
Take a Kid outside...

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2012, 10:28:51 AM »
It helps to know where to look, I've spent a lot of time scouting them the last 10 years to figure them out. Thing is they move around a lot more in the mountains and roost in different spots compared to the farm country I hunt once in a while. They are definitely much more spread out this year after the mild winter.
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2012, 10:30:06 AM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2012, 05:46:43 PM »
It helps to know where to look, I've spent a lot of time scouting them the last 10 years to figure them out. Thing is they move around a lot more in the mountains and roost in different spots compared to the farm country I hunt once in a while. They are definitely much more spread out this year after the mild winter.
Nice video ; I have notice's the same thing here not as dependable as farm birds

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2012, 06:57:07 PM »
Big difference in The field vs Woods birds. The field birds are way easier to pattern.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2012, 07:40:17 PM »
I think they might be hot by the sounds of it....could be a great first week....
They seem to travel the same patterns like the deer here....might be here today and won't be back around to that area again for a few days....
Awesome video!!

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2012, 03:47:12 AM »
Nice video. I hope I see one of those I wont be picky. ;D ;D

Offline dan_lais

• 6 Pointer
  • can't wait for May 1st!!!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 20, 2012, 07:01:05 PM »
cool video.

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!!!!!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal