Author Topic: hmmmm decoys...  (Read 5914 times)

Offline MBrown4

• Nubbie
hmmmm decoys...
« on: Apr 16, 2012, 11:00:46 PM »
so i need a tom decoy and was wondering what the more experienced turkey hunters would think is a better decoy. its either the carry lite pretty boy, the bob n tail , or maybe a primos model. im kinda liking the idea of the bob n tail just to give them suttin to focus on when their in close and keep their attention. i feel like it will eliminate the need to touch a call when they're in. opinions??? thanks guys

Offline eyehi

• 12 Pointer
Re: hmmmm decoys...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2012, 11:23:40 PM »
I'm not sure about the two models you listed but sometimes decoys do more harm than good....turkeys get used to them just like deer that hear grunt calls all the time...whatever model you choose don't over use it and most important be careful for other hunters....good luck this season

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2012, 05:13:05 AM »
I would go with a feeding hen or hen and jake combo if you really want to use decoy's. The Tom is ok if all that you want is the dominante tom in the area but still often will scare wise birds from what I have seen.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2012, 05:24:52 AM »
IMO, I would save my money. I don't like dekes and never have.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2012, 07:19:06 AM »
Ive got the carry lite and a hen, its lite but bulky, ill only use it when I have my bow probably just because of the movement and ill be in a blind, other than that if you are in the timber you can call them right in with no deke
Take a Kid outside...

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2012, 07:29:53 AM »
I would go with a feeding hen or hen and jake combo if you really want to use decoy's. The Tom is ok if all that you want is the dominante tom in the area but still often will scare wise birds from what I have seen.
This is the route I went, have a jake and 2-3 hens. I can't remember where CaptJJ got his, but they look very realistic.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2012, 07:32:25 AM »

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2012, 07:34:57 AM »
think I have one or two of those, saw some nice ones at bass pro the other day
Take a Kid outside...

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #8 on: Apr 17, 2012, 07:50:14 AM »
This is the route I went, have a jake and 2-3 hens. I can't remember where CaptJJ got his, but they look very realistic.

I have the Dave Smith decoy upright hen and it looks real, had a hen all riled up last year pecking at it and flogging it a couple times, went on for 15 minutes.

They also make a great jake and full strut tom, but they are too expensive to worry about someone shooting for me. If you don't have secure private land to hunt,which is rare with a gobbling tom, I wouldn't even think about using a tom or jake decoy for safety reasons.

Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline corny13

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Apr 17, 2012, 08:17:34 AM »
I agree with CaptJJ, save your $$ and buy a Dave Smith upright hen.  Plus the risk of getting shot by some jerk with a strutting tom decoy unless totally private is real.

Offline MBrown4

• Nubbie
« Reply #10 on: Apr 17, 2012, 08:23:19 AM »
I hunt all private land so don't really have the worry of it gettin blown away. Hell sounds like ill just pick up a nice hen and jake and not really worry bout a strutting tom

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #11 on: Apr 17, 2012, 08:30:50 AM »
The people who aren't supposed to be there are more likely to be the ones that shoot people.

Offline MBrown4

• Nubbie
« Reply #12 on: Apr 17, 2012, 09:10:45 AM »
Very good point. I still haven't ran into anyone on land they weren't supposed to be on but I've only been hunting for 4 years. I have seen people quite a ways away tho....

Offline VTtracker

• Spiked
« Reply #13 on: Apr 19, 2012, 02:43:49 PM »
I agree with CaptJJ, save your $$ and buy a Dave Smith upright hen.  Plus the risk of getting shot by some jerk with a strutting tom decoy unless totally private is real.

I agree 100%. 
The very few occasions that I may use a decoy, I use a Dave Smith upright.

Offline dan_lais

• 6 Pointer
  • can't wait for May 1st!!!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 20, 2012, 07:08:38 PM »
i like using a feeder hen with an upright.seems to me if a tom sees a hen in one spot with the head up and alert it might scare them.who knows.every bird is different.i have seen videos of birds interacting with decoys and i have seen birds stray away.use a mouth call and cup your mouth to make it sound opposite of where he is coming from.make him find her.decoys can make some birds hang up and dance FOREVER.shot both my big toms last year with no decoys.i could ramble forever.here is a good turkey motto.......do what feels right and when lessons are taught to you by them learn from that.

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!!!!!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal