Author Topic: Where do i start??  (Read 6675 times)

Offline ship of fools

• 8 Pointer
Where do i start??
« on: Apr 05, 2012, 07:02:10 AM »
OK ....  i've never turkey hunted in my life....    been way too busy in May sitting on the Hudson River waiting for a monster striped bass to eat my herring  8)

but i want to try this year ......... 

i have access to about 60 acres of land with woods, open fields and a power line and while deer hunting and scouting i have seen lots of turkeys.

So ..... what next?? 

any hints / help would be much appreciated

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
Re: Where do i start??
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2012, 07:09:01 AM »
Camo, thermacell, gun with Turkey Shot, and practice your calls...find some birds...when you get them to answer get set up where you are consealed...sit VERY still if you can get them to come in...have your gun already pointed down range when set up...this allows for very small adjustment when shooting...when they get close put the pattern over their head and go pick them up when they start flopping...being VERY still and calling is key...don't over call...get an answer, set up and then use your instinct on how much to call from there...good luck...not too tough if you have birds and do the rest... 
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2012, 07:12:35 AM »
a hen decoy or two can help distract them as well if you want to go that far...
John Wayne

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2012, 07:19:11 AM »
If you can go during the week I can come call for you, it's very effective to have a caller behind a shooter. When they hang up looking for the caller they are more likely to be in range for a shot. You'll need a face mask/net and light camo gloves. I prefer caps with the camo net attached.

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2012, 07:23:00 AM »
Camo, thermacell, gun with Turkey Shot, and practice your calls...find some birds...when you get them to answer get set up where you are consealed...sit VERY still if you can get them to come in...have your gun already pointed down range when set up...this allows for very small adjustment when shooting...when they get close put the pattern over their head and go pick them up when they start flopping...being VERY still and calling is key...don't over call...get an answer, set up and then use your instinct on how much to call from there...good luck...not too tough if you have birds and do the rest...
You sure know alot about stupid Turkey hunting ..... :o :o :o
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2012, 07:32:00 AM »
If you don't have a shotgun set up for turkeys I have a 10ga and a 12ga. I can bring either for you to use.

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2012, 08:00:18 AM »
There you go ship...you have a caller now...even better all that you need to do now is find some birds and have fun...if you get lucky you will get one to play all the way to the finish line...Steve is right if you strategically work together it can be more effective and you have someone to share the experience with...close calls most of the time are more entertaining and educational than the successful hunts...
John Wayne

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2012, 08:03:57 AM »
Heather got hooked the first time she went when I had a tom gobbling like crazy, even though he wouldn't leave his hens. I hunt alone 95% of the time and it's a lot more fun to have someone else around to share the experience.

Offline ship of fools

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2012, 08:06:55 AM »
thanks all ... and steve let's plan on getting out

any thoughts on how to find the right spot to setup??

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2012, 08:25:01 AM »
Scout them out Ship!  See where they are roosting and where they go when they come down..... I usually start watching close about 2 weeks prior to the season to pattern them. Very important to pattern the shotgun before hunting also.
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2012, 11:11:48 AM by bogmanjr »
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline ship of fools

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 2012, 08:35:13 AM »
Scout the out Ship!  See where they are roosting and where they go when they come down..... I usually start watching close about 2 weeks prior to the season to pattern them. Very important to pattern the shotgun before hunting also.

soo ..  as a complete newbie how do i tell where they are roosting??   

i hate scouting this particular spot ......  one spot here i took 50+- ticks off of me  :o   ....  did most of my deer scouting here with the car and binoculars

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2012, 08:43:13 AM »
The best way is to be there by daybreak and find out where they are roosting. You can use a shock call like an owl or crow to get them to gobble on the roost before they fly down, or you can just wait and they'll do it on their own. It's usually not easy to find out where they go once they're down unless you can see an open field from a few hundred yards away. If you're not sure where they roost you have to start close to the access, could take a few mornings to find them. IMO, NEVER call to birds you want to hunt until you are actually hunting (shock calling on the roost is OK though). You will only give them a free education and make it much harder to call one in.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #12 on: Apr 05, 2012, 08:46:15 AM »
soo ..  as a complete newbie how do i tell where they are roosting??   

i hate scouting this particular spot ......  one spot here i took 50+- ticks off of me  :o   ....  did most of my deer scouting here with the car and binoculars

Perfect. If you can see well with binos just head over in the morning and watch to see where they fly down and what direction they head. I'm treating my camo and boots with Sawyers this year, you may want to do the same.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #13 on: Apr 05, 2012, 08:50:12 AM »
The best way is to be there by daybreak and find out where they are roosting. You can use a shock call like an owl or crow to get them to gobble on the roost before they fly down, or you can just wait and they'll do it on their own. It's usually not easy to find out where they go once they're down unless you can see an open field from a few hundred yards away. If you're not sure where they roost you have to start close to the access, could take a few mornings to find them. IMO, NEVER call to birds you want to hunt until you are actually hunting (shock calling on the roost is OK though). You will only give them a free education and make it much harder to call one in.
check where they go at night too, if you see them going from one area headed towards some large trees, chances are thats where they will be in the AM

here is a secret for shock calling...I am only telling the few on here because none of you are around where my friend and I hunt so the secret should be safe... while they are still roosted. get out of your car, with it turned off, honk your horn repeatedly and fast, beep, beep beep beep, beep....that really gets them, plus its a car and they wont have any idea whats going on...
Take a Kid outside...

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #14 on: Apr 05, 2012, 11:11:26 AM »
LOL.....yep, I would go sit at night too just that last 1/2 hr before dark. listen and that's where they will be in the morning
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal