Author Topic: Nice Curves  (Read 104414 times)

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
Re: Nice Curves
« Reply #315 on: Jan 24, 2022, 10:26:28 AM »
So the new bow arrived and I have it all set up and it shoots great as expected. This is the first bow that I have completely custom ordered and I changed things a little bit from the original plan. Since I found the 64" Royal Huntsman at a great price, and the bowyer now offering a shorter version I went with 62" instead of 66". Also, this one is much lighter, the composite wood is Spectraply which is much less dense than the Dyamlux the 3 others were made with. I figured shorter and lighter is good for hunting, especially holding the bow up waiting for a shot. Draw weight came in at 44# @ 28" and I was able to tune with the same arrows as the other bows. One thing is this bow is quieter than the rest without any Limbsavers added; have them and will see how much more they help, just small cat whiskers now.

Wanted the match the ASAT camo I like and think it comes pretty close, Buckskin Spectraply with brown fiberglass:

Now have 4 hybrid longbows and like shooting them all, recurves are collecting dust. The new bow weighed in at 1.66 lbs, 58 and 60" Natives are 1.86-1.88 and 64" is 2.22.

« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2022, 10:27:57 AM by CAPTJJ »
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #316 on: Jan 24, 2022, 11:02:46 AM »
Very nice..  Good luck with it.👍👍
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #317 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:55:13 PM »
Very very nice addition Jeff looking forward to how she going to shoot

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #318 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:25:57 PM »
That’s a gorgeous bow Jeff! Good luck with it.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #319 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:58:41 AM »
Real nice looking bow love the colors good luck!! Hopefully that one takes down the big 10!!

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #320 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:38:46 PM »
You Going to give her some play time
with the turkeys this spring.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #321 on: Jan 28, 2022, 03:13:04 PM »
Thanks all. This bow seems more forgiving and easier to shoot consistently than the shorter Natives. Pretty sure a lot of it is design, they are a more radical reflex/deflex; which helps speed but don't think I am giving much up, if any.

Been trying to shoot outdoors more this winter, even though it has been colder. Inside can only shoot about 7 yards, good to prep for turkeys but longer distances help with maintaining form.

Added the Limbsavers and this bow is definitely much quieter than the others, too. I played with brace height more and will do some experimenting with the 60" Native before turkey season.

Hybrid longbow in hand.

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #322 on: Jan 29, 2022, 04:31:43 AM »
Looks like you getting her dialed in pretty good
If I tried it probably make you laugh Jeff ....

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #323 on: Jan 29, 2022, 09:17:27 AM »
Well Chuck, everyone would have laughed at me when I started, just checked, began this thread 10 years ago when I picked up a recurve again... and still learning.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #324 on: Jan 29, 2022, 09:35:39 AM »
Now that I am switching bows a lot, I can see the 60" Native isn't as tuned as I thought... switch to it and start hitting left. Wasn't a problem when I just shot that bow, must have compensated to the right. Also, noticed a left kick of the nock end of the arrow in flight at longer ranges with a sloppy release, pulling through the shot worked best.

Looked at the spec sheet from the bowyer, calls for brace height from 8.75 to 9.5", I have been going with the lowest number. So, with the arrow acting a little stiff, I twisted the string to raise BH to 9", and saw the difference right away, also could hear it was quieter. Then tried a bareshaft and much more consistent results, before had to do everything perfect. So looks like I was right on the edge of getting the spine right for the best flight, now should be more in the middle and more forgiving. Maybe my thoughts on bow design and the more radical R/D isn't the difference?

I still will play with BH some more, really the best way to fine tune at the end, only so many adjustments when shooting off the shelf with a one piece bow. Right now I am much more consistent at turkey ranges, was a little discouraged with it but happy now because this bow will be good for the blind, dark colored and short enough. The new one will be good for out of the blind and will likely be number 1 next Fall.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #325 on: Feb 10, 2022, 12:50:22 PM »
Seem to have all the bows tuned now, fine tuning with brace height helps get them all hitting in the middle when I switch bows.

Went back and retuned the green Native for turkey season, had been playing around with silencers before last fall and then put it down and hunted with the new Native. The green one was really loud with a new string and BowJax, played around with nock height and brace with out much luck and tune was still off with a bare shaft. Put the old string back on, has a single cat whisker and nice and quiet, bare shaft straight. Put new string back on, matched nock and brace height, then added 2 small whiskers and it is much better; old string will be good for backup.

I used to think shooting one bow was best for accuracy, best to get used to the one bow. But now finding that shooting them all has me shooting better than ever, really focusing on using the same form with each bow and executing. Shooting outdoors all winter is really helping as well, the 7 yards indoors just gets too routine.

Lastly, I am working through the usual shoulder isssues that arise when I shoot more, but this time I have been keeping up with the rotator cuff exercises. And more importantly, I am back to the J draw that I started last summer and really noticed a difference, especially with back tension which is key to good shooting, Hunting and not shooting as much I forgot about the new draw until I read back in this thread. Then I just read a great article about shoulder pain and archery that reinforces what I figured out... and then explained why I was getting some impingement. The result is less pain and better shooting. Need to watch the video that was in the article next.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/opinion/archery-shoulder-injury/?amp
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2022, 12:51:48 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #326 on: Feb 11, 2022, 02:22:12 PM »
I watched the video and finally think I have back tension figured out, all about the elbow going down and back after release, combined with using the back muscles to draw. Wish I had seen this video sooned but it just came out. Shooting is a lot more fun when consistent and arrows are hitting straight and hard every shot.

Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #327 on: Feb 22, 2022, 11:52:25 AM »
What a difference technique makes, both with acccuracy and pain. Shooting better than ever and can keep shooting all day if I want, using back intead of shoukder muscles drawing and releasing. As mentioned no pain in the shouders, draw(right) arm was getting bad; muscle soreness is there from a lot of shooting but improving as the new muscles get developed; elbow tendinitis much better, too. Feel like I have moved up a level after years of struggling to stay consistent, advanced intermediate?

Wasn't sure about bows for turkey, had been shooting the lighter green bow much better than the others. Then suddenly after learning the new technique and getting stronger the 45# charcoal Native is drilling the center of the target, had been hitting left. I replaced to longer floppy whiskers with the 1 3/4" ones that I like, definitely sounds quieter. Confirmed with a decibel meter app I am trying on my phone.

Keeping up with the rotator cuff execises and stretching; need to watch over shooting, hard to stop when shooting good. Another nice day today but after 50 shots I am done, heading out into the woods to see if I can find a shed, 4 deer came out across the road when I was shooting last night before dark.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal