Author Topic: Nice Curves  (Read 120016 times)

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
Re: Nice (Re)Curves
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2012, 04:01:54 PM »
         8)   Looking great for no sights  :D :D

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2012, 10:53:22 AM »
lookin good jj.  it is quite the feeling when you can make an arrow go where you want it too using just your hand eye connection. i call them mind bullets :)
If vegetarians love animals so much, why do they eat all their food?   

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2012, 06:03:03 PM »
Mind bullets?? ??? ;D How about mind arrows. ;)

Been trying to get back in the groove of shooting every day now that turkey season is over. Still shooting at 10 yds, can get a good group but need to concentrate on each shot. When I start scattering arrows I move close to the target to work on form without needing to think about aiming; seems to be working.

Best group yet:
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2012, 06:34:39 PM »
nice group jj
Take a Kid outside...

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2012, 06:16:31 AM »
Very nice!!!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2012, 06:50:47 AM »
Nice shooting...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2012, 03:36:30 PM »
Looking very good

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #67 on: Jun 05, 2012, 02:06:21 PM »
nice group. i fell into the nice weathe no shooting groove again..... if only it snowed all year.  :o

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: Jun 05, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »
Seems like it's either raining or I have something else to do, trying to force myself to get a couple rounds in at least every other day. Heading out now.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: Jun 05, 2012, 04:07:02 PM »
Getting more consistent, with the occasional flier(or two) of course, you have to do everything right(exactly the same) every time. Today I changed my grip to a little firmer and I am wrapping my fingers around the bow now, this made a noticable improvement. I was using an open hand, like I do with compounds; which wasn't consistent enough with the recurve I guess. The most important thing I have noticed to be able to hit where I want is to make sure I am shooting with back tension, holding at full draw with the back muscles is the best way to relax the hand for a clean release. This also makes sure you hold at least a couple seconds before releasing and aren't snap shooting. Finding that my practice session go longer before I start scattering arrows toouch and need to take a break. Having fun mostly. ;D
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #70 on: Jun 06, 2012, 02:02:35 PM »
i too found out that a more firm grip on the bow created more consistency.  i printed a form picture that i hung up in the basement so  i look at it every time i shoot.

flung 3 arrows last night at a turkey head cutout i put on the target. first two were right in the neck under the waddles an inch apart. the 3rd was a few inches to the left. guess i retained  a little of what i gained this winter.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: Jun 08, 2012, 01:08:54 PM »
The mind can retain a lot, with more practice that 3rd shot would have been on. ;) Sometimes taking a break seems to help, as long as you don't take 6 months off.

Still getting some fliers after firming up my grip, so I changed my anchor a little and saw another improvement. I have been using my index finger in the corner of my mouth, and then extending my thumb(still bent) to anchor on the corner of my chin. I kept the index finger the same, but now keep my bent thumb lined up with my hand and anchor against my cheekbone. This helped in two ways: first off I noticed that that forced my elbow up for better alignment with the arrow, and secondly, I can get a much cleaner release because my hand is more relaxed without the thumb extended. Before I think I was plucking the string on occasion.

I was going to start with a glove but decided on a tab, I chose the Bateman cordovan leather tab after some research; it has a rubber finger separator for shooting split finger. The leather is pretty slick and strong, doesn't get a groove worn into it.

« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2012, 01:11:12 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: Jun 08, 2012, 02:26:53 PM »
I think I figured out the last issue, holding the bow arm steady until the arrow hits. I was definitely flailing my arm leading to stray arrows; started thinking to act like a "statue" until after well after I hit the target. Big difference, it really became much easier to hit where I wanted. Hoping I can start moving back in distance soon.

The center of my target is wearing out, but these 4 arrows are touching in the bullseye.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #73 on: Jun 08, 2012, 02:36:57 PM »
Nice group. Looks like that target lasted you a while so far, and it's still stopping them. Just need an empty feed type bag to put it in.

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #74 on: Jun 08, 2012, 02:56:22 PM »
Really nice looking groups wherein that Bullseye out keep up the awesome shooting   ;) :) :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal