Author Topic: Nice Curves  (Read 104251 times)

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Nice (Re)Curves
« Reply #30 on: Mar 06, 2012, 08:21:22 AM »
They look like they would do just fine for squirrels and rabbits to hone your skills.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #31 on: Mar 11, 2012, 09:44:18 PM »
Found this quote appropriate to archery:

Have to send the arrows back, nocks aren't lined up right; looks like I'll be ordering shafts and making my own. Will have to stick with shooting the compounds for now to get ready for the turkeys.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2012, 09:47:43 PM by CAPTJJ »
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #32 on: Mar 12, 2012, 06:16:43 AM »
Guess I know what I am then.....LOL...

To bad about the arrows JJ....I'm sure your going to make nicer ones anyways... ;)

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #33 on: Mar 12, 2012, 06:55:05 AM »
make me some while youre at it!  ;D
Take a Kid outside...

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: Mar 16, 2012, 12:51:11 PM »
Found out that 1716s should spine better, so I ordered some shafts; aluminums are much cheaper than carbons and it's easier to get the right spine. Also found another 1968 Bear recurve in really good shape, 34# @ 28", 66"; should be here next week, this bow should be good with the 1816s.

make me some while youre at it!  ;D

They're easy to fletch up, just need a jig and some glue, started doing it myself because it was too far to drive for arrow repairs. I use the Jo-Jan fletcher and Fletch-tite Platinum glue. Will be my first time using real feathers. For now I order shafts cut or use them full length; looking at an arrow saw for @ $100 to tune, will need this to tune carbon arrows for my hunting recurves.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #35 on: Mar 16, 2012, 03:34:15 PM »
I've got an old arrow saw at my fathers. I don't see why you couldn't just mount a cheap rotary tool to a board, would be easy to make an adjustable knock socket. the biggest factor is just having the right cutting wheel and cutting straight.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: Mar 19, 2012, 12:19:03 PM »
I was thinking of doing that Steve, till I found the $100 arrow saw, they can get pricey.

Ordered shafts, inserts and nocks on Friday; they sent the first two, nocks are on backorder. Called today to see if they had a different color nock in the size I need, 1/4"; they are sending a different color, more waiting. ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2012, 12:25:08 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
Re: Nice (Re)Curves(New Oldie pics)
« Reply #37 on: Mar 27, 2012, 12:00:17 PM »
Picked up another really nice 1968 Bear recurve, this one is a Polar, 34#@28", 66"; it's in great shape, should shoot good. I like the zebrawood in the riser. 8)

« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2012, 12:02:17 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #38 on: Mar 27, 2012, 08:42:09 PM »
nice looking bow... ill have to grab mine from camp and measure for a string... plan on making some homemade wood arrows with glue on tips, prob just get one of the small fletching jigs...then practice practice practice...the plan is to have one of my friends video me shooting a deer with it this fall, should have a grreat feeling after that!
Take a Kid outside...

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #39 on: Mar 27, 2012, 09:47:02 PM »
Great looking bow JJ!! Been poking around for one since this thread started. (and shot my old bear) Only 45lbs at 28"...but had fun shooting it for a bit in the back yard.... ;D ;D

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #40 on: Apr 14, 2012, 10:23:55 AM »
Finally remembered to pick up some fletching glue and made a few arrows this morning; not big on the color of the shafts but the price is right; Easton XX75 Blues. Time to got to work, might shoot a little this evening. 8)

« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2012, 10:37:48 AM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: Apr 15, 2012, 01:41:21 PM »
Started shooting and I'm enjoying the simple life. The old bow shoots pretty good and I'm picking it back up a little quicker than I thought I would. Started at 7 yds and was grouping Ok but most shots were high. After a while I went back to 10 yds and shot a nice group a little high and left. Trying to shoot instinctive and just look at where I want to hit; I'll be sticking at 10 yds for a while and doing some blank bale shooting for form. Find myself wanting to shoot these bows a lot more than the compunds; finding that the advice to start out light(30 lbs) really helps, I can shoot it all day.

Hoping to work my way up and be able to hunt turkeys with a recurve next year. 8)
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: Apr 16, 2012, 05:02:14 PM »
Day 3 of shooting and I'm getting the hang of it, first 2 shots this morning and first shot this afternoon were right in the bullseye at 10 yds; otherwise I tend to shoot high a lot but they arre grouping and sometimes touching . It's different without sights, but somehow when you concentrate the arrow ends up where you are looking. A lot more fun and challenging.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #43 on: Apr 16, 2012, 05:21:34 PM »
            That one there going to take some time to get tuned up being long bow with no sites ; I'm used to my compound

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #44 on: Apr 16, 2012, 06:01:13 PM »
anyone know anything about bamboo arrows? seems like they would be super strong...
Take a Kid outside...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal