Author Topic: Bow Hunting for Turkey  (Read 3770 times)

Offline Redneck5

• Nubbie
Bow Hunting for Turkey
« on: Feb 16, 2006, 10:55:23 PM »
Looking at trying to bow hunt for turkeys this spring in Mass.
Has anyone ever tried it? If so what broadhead would you recomend, Gobbler Guillotine, or SABERTOOTH TALON series turkey and small game broadhead? 

I have a Mathews Z-Max with a 28 1/2 draw set at 62 pounds, total arrow weight is around 500 grains including a 125 grain broadhead.

I have shotgun hunted these fine birds for many years in Iowa (with no luck), but it is to hard to get a gun in the Great state of Mass >:(
I can't believe I am leaving Alaska to go chase Turkeys

Thanks
Redneck

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
Re: Bow Hunting for Turkey
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2006, 07:24:51 AM »
Do you live in AK, Redneck? Why is it so hard to get a shotgun in Mass?
I would reccomend harvesting a few birds with a gun first, but that's just me.
Hunting them with a bow must be 10X harder...
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2006, 06:34:23 AM by devil-man »
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline Redneck5

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2006, 03:58:51 PM »
To get a gun in to Mass you have to apply (no problem), have a sponsor (got one), the sponsor has to buy your ammo and go hunting with you plus you have to put a sticker on your gun barrel. I like to get out there by myself and get a turkey. I have called them in before.

I am stationed here in the Air Force, so far I have killed a Caribou and a 43 inch moose.

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2006, 06:36:48 AM »
Wow, Mass has some crazy rules...
Take some time off in the Spring and come to NY!  :)
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline NJ PIKER

• Nubbie
  • LONGBEARDS & BROADHEADS
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2006, 09:29:14 AM »
your setup should be fine
I have basically the same thing but use 100 GR. heads.
Am going to use 100 gr. wasp jackhammer expand. for turkey
as they have worked well on deer for me.I think those big heads
just allow for a bigger margin of error. I'd practice and stick with
your deer head or a deer size expand. those turkey heads are also
very expensive 8)
<--------------------<<<<-

Offline Redneck5

• Nubbie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2006, 12:58:33 PM »
Im shooting Magnus Stingers now. I used Muzzys on my Caribou and Magnus Stingers on my moose.

The Muzzys went in the trash, junky heads.

Offline Deer-Downer

• 6 Pointer
  • Total deer taken in my life....7.... still count'n
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2006, 11:13:50 AM »
 Yup same here going to give it a wirl for my first time this year probably with Bow can't wait. ;D ;D ;D

Turkey-Hunter
I May Be Small But I Hunt Big!!

!!Hunting!! I'm in it for the !!BUCKS!!

Deer-Downer

Offline FIRESTORMHTR

• Forked
  • 8 Point
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2006, 06:50:05 AM »

Yeah I'm going to be Hunting out of my Blind and will be taking my Bow along with Me,but will have the old shot gun as stand by,
one good thing about NH,you can carry a Gun while Bow Hunting.Good Luck all this season and be safe.Gobble,Gobble
Dave

Offline cdc

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2006, 07:38:25 AM »
Good luck,
 When turkey hunting with a bow you have to move very slow. If you get a tom in close make sure when your ready to draw back the he is looking away. They see very good. When sitting make sure that your background matches your camo.
 I use Muzzy 4 blade and have yet to have any problems. But I will be using a dull one that way if and when it hits the ground I don't ruin a new blade.
 I have yet to get a bird in the spring with my bow. Here in Maine there is a fall hunt only with bow.And in the past 2 yrs I have got one. Both hens.  But this spring I am leaving the gun at home.
 Good luck.
 Chris

JimP

« Reply #9 on: Apr 18, 2006, 02:19:22 AM »
I hunt MA each spring for turkey and have no trouble finding birds usually. We hunt with shotgun and usually get our two birds each spring ( my son and I). Gun laws in MA are not all that bad, but they are enforced. Redneck5 must be under age 15 or something? In any case, I'd use whatever broadhead you use for deer and limit your shots to 20 yards or less with a bow. My favorite shot (with a bow) is the thigh shot, by the way, or the head shot. Kill zone is much larger than the shoulder shot and you have a much better chance of a kill than with a body-shot. I've seen many a bird fly off after being shot clean through the body, never to be located after! Never use a small game tip on a turkey either. Stick with a big-game broadhead and don't bother going unless you can group your arrows in a 2-inch circle at 20 yards.  -Jim

Offline the wizard

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Apr 23, 2006, 06:24:05 AM »
I have been fortunate enough to get 2 w/ bow , in N.Y.  it   is tuff because there is a lot of pressure,    What a thrill it is !
 Both of them the arrow went right through them like butter,  one [a fall bird] I got from the tree stand and found my arrow in the ground.    The other was a spring bird [tom]  and I never saw the arrow again.     
  Out of the 2 I got there was three I screwed up on.     All easy shots.  I think them birds can hear a fly fart , man they have good hearing , eyesight too.   To You guys that are trying it with a bow good luck!     Don't forget to bring back the stories for us. 
      >>>>--------> 2014 Venison Villans

Offline skundl

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Apr 24, 2006, 07:59:12 AM »
after years of bowhunting for deer and years of turkey hunting with a gun, I would have to say they really dont mix to well.  I know you can kill them with a bow but I always foiund the turkeys to be a good challenge with a gun and I will stick to that.  I certainly extend a ton of credit to anyone who can fool an old tom and kill him with a bow.  For those heardy souls, good luck this coming season

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal