Author Topic: I think have an answer  (Read 2523 times)

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
I think have an answer
« on: May 03, 2011, 07:30:52 AM »
Everytime I have been out this year the birds have not roosted along the hillside of the property I hunt. Which is unusal since they would roost the four year prior to this season. I looked in the field they normally fly down in across the creek and no winter wheat had been planted. Its nothing but mud from all the rain we have had this year. I have heard that turkeys dont like to visit bare fields and I'm starting to think that is true. Could it be because the mud gets clumped on there talons/feet? 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 07:39:40 AM by drobertsinMaryland »

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
Re: I think have an answer
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 07:34:56 AM »
Not sure, have seen them in freshly plowed gardens foraging for bugs and worms and things...Don't think the mud bothers them that much. More likely that they can't run very fast in it or get up in the air as easily. More likely that there is a better food source somewhere else. ;)

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 07:47:15 AM »
More likely that there is a better food source somewhere else. ;)
That too. ;D

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 11:10:48 AM »
I've actually been having better luck this year in strait dirt fields...  In fact where I deer hunt and where all my food plots are planted, I make sure to get them plowed up a day or 2 before season opens b/c they like to pick around for worms in the dirt.  But they still need food, so yes, they probably have a better food source elsewhere.
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 11:47:18 AM »
I see birds at least once a week in a muddy cornfield from last year.  Can't imagine much pickin's, but they're there...
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal