Author Topic: Question for all you turkey hunters  (Read 3044 times)

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Question for all you turkey hunters
« on: Apr 21, 2011, 03:57:04 PM »
It has been relatively warm in the morning time(mid 40 lower 50's) over the last four days. Tonight its supposed to get in the upper 30's with a high of 45 tomorrow. Do you think its even worth a 30 min. trip one way to my spot? I'll be honest if there not gobbling its hard for me to sit on small parcel of land for 6hrs. I lose patients fast and its not like deer hunting where I can stick it out.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
Re: Question for all you turkey hunters
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2011, 04:14:19 PM »
I find they usually gobble pretty good on cold, clear mornings with little wind, and it's always easier to wait it out if you hear one. That also means they can hear your calls, never know when one will want to come looking for that hen.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2011, 04:20:34 PM »
Wind supposed to be about 12mph tomorrow, which isnt bad compared to this morning. I have done very little calling over the last four days(not my strong point). Just been waiting for one to roost close to the property that is vocal. The days I do hear them I bet they are close to a mile away. Odds of me calling him that far are slim especially if there are hens around him.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2011, 04:40:41 PM »
Don't have to call great or very much, just some clucks and purrs, yelp every once in a while; will keep you interested and a tom might even come in silent, better yet sooner or later one will start answering.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2011, 04:55:47 PM »
I guess I need to start playing to win. ;)

Offline eyehi

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 12:42:42 PM »
Wind supposed to be about 12mph tomorrow, which isnt bad compared to this morning. I have done very little calling over the last four days(not my strong point). Just been waiting for one to roost close to the property that is vocal. The days I do hear them I bet they are close to a mile away. Odds of me calling him that far are slim especially if there are hens around him.
one thing to remember is the dense heavy air from all of the rain makes the gobbles sound farther away than they actually are. tuesday morning i called one in for a friend and when i heard him gobble i thought he was still roosted way back in the pines. sure enough he was only 70 yards away coming in quick.

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 04:36:50 PM »
Doubt the drop in temperature will hurt your chances much

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 04:44:45 PM »
Heading out in the am, only 18 days left in the season for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal