Author Topic: Turkey hunting tragedy in Wisconsin.  (Read 3552 times)

Offline hooknhunter

• Forked
Turkey hunting tragedy in Wisconsin.
« on: Apr 18, 2011, 03:28:21 PM »
I hear a 5 year old boy was mistaken for a turkey and shot recently in Wisconsin.  I've been looking for info on it, but I can't access the only thing I can find on it.  Does anyone know anything?]

Uhhhhh, just found it.

http://blogs.wvgazette.com/johnmccoy/2011/04/18/five-year-old-shot-while-turkey-hunting/

Very sad.  Be careful out there guys.
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2011, 03:34:54 PM by hooknhunter »
Keep your gunpowder dry and your fishing hooks wet.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Turkey hunting tragedy in Wisconsin.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2011, 03:35:39 PM »
Only thing I found is he was hunting ith his father when another hunter shot him.
http://dailywisconsin.com/?p=3978

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2011, 10:47:11 PM »
Googled it and found out that the boy is ok and sustained no life threatening injuries the shooter supposedly shot the boy at 40-50 yards thinking he was a turkey i put the whole google search to check out b/c everyone had a little more to add to the whole story http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&biw=1440&bih=799&q=wisconsin+5+year+old+turkey+hunting+accident&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=82009c8c75a9385e

Please everyone know your target and beyond this is just plain stupid if you can't make out 110% what you are shooting at then you don't squeeze off a round I know this goes without saying for most but please be safe out there everyone no bird or any animal for that matter is worth the injury or worse to someone or something else

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2011, 08:08:03 AM »
Glad the youngster was OK....That being relative, I'm sure he will be hard pressed to go in the woods again..
Hope the put the shooter in jail....there needs to be accountability for your actions... >:(

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2011, 08:11:10 AM »
I agree with Upstate, anyone who "accidentally" shoots someone should get jail time. Glad the kid is OK, the guy that shot him is lucky the father didn't shoot back.

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2011, 08:52:37 AM »
I don't turkey hunt, but I thought the idea was to get as many pellets in the head as possible, if thats the case you would want to aim for the head (how do you mistake a five year old for a turkey head?), second if your taking such a long shot at a turkey you would need a REALLY tight choke and a big gauge, if this was an ethical hunter who was taking a shot that he could make (as in a kill at that range) that kid would be in worse shape. I hope this hunter gets charged big time and loses his hunting rights for a few years.

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2011, 11:59:57 AM »
I don't turkey hunt, but I thought the idea was to get as many pellets in the head as possible, if thats the case you would want to aim for the head (how do you mistake a five year old for a turkey head?), second if your taking such a long shot at a turkey you would need a REALLY tight choke and a big gauge, if this was an ethical hunter who was taking a shot that he could make (as in a kill at that range) that kid would be in worse shape. I hope this hunter gets charged big time and loses his hunting rights for a few years.

Well put fly-in I agree I'm this individual who shot the kid is obviously not a. and ethical hunter b. not one who knows what they are doing in the first place I hate when these situations are tagged accidents they are not an accident they are the result of an individual who is not aware of the situation identifying the target to make sure it is a male bird and identifying beyond the target as well. Situations like this is yet another reason why we the outdoors community get bashed all the time I only can hope that poor boy will one day go back into the woods and get to enjoy it again instead the fear that I'm sure he possesses now after this situation. To the last part of your quote unfortunately I feel even if this person does lose their rights for a few years doesn't mean they still won't go out and pursue game. That will end my rant for now sorry everyone but their is one thing that is above all for me in the woods and that is safety I have a strong passion for people being safe and when stuff like this happens it bothers me to no end.

Offline hooknhunter

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2011, 01:12:45 PM »
Well put fly-in I agree I'm this individual who shot the kid is obviously not a. and ethical hunter b. not one who knows what they are doing in the first place I hate when these situations are tagged accidents they are not an accident they are the result of an individual who is not aware of the situation identifying the target to make sure it is a male bird and identifying beyond the target as well. Situations like this is yet another reason why we the outdoors community get bashed all the time I only can hope that poor boy will one day go back into the woods and get to enjoy it again instead the fear that I'm sure he possesses now after this situation. To the last part of your quote unfortunately I feel even if this person does lose their rights for a few years doesn't mean they still won't go out and pursue game. That will end my rant for now sorry everyone but their is one thing that is above all for me in the woods and that is safety I have a strong passion for people being safe and when stuff like this happens it bothers me to no end.

I agree.  Not an accident.  Only negligence.  All are guilty of negligence from time to time.  I'm glad the boy wasn't hurt and I hope he will get over the mental trauma he must be experiencing very soon.
Keep your gunpowder dry and your fishing hooks wet.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal