Author Topic: Spring Turkey Seasons  (Read 20449 times)

Offline bamaboy

• Forked
Re: Spring Turkey Seasons
« Reply #30 on: Mar 08, 2011, 06:36:43 PM »
Maybe this will help. If its not allowed, I understand if you remove it...  http://talkhunting.com/issue/march-april-2011/article/turkey-hunting-step-by-step
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2011, 06:52:20 PM by bamaboy »
TalkHunting Magazine Pro Staff    www.talkhunting.com
UFA Member   www.unitedforumsassoc.com

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #31 on: Mar 08, 2011, 08:16:34 PM »
i have mixed emotions on all day turkey hunting. the birds see enough pressure from daylight till noon and i think the added pressure and over harvest of male birds would disturb their breeding to the point that it would impact the population and overall health and pecking order of the flock. at least in my area anyway.  its also a blessing to b forced out of the turkey woods at noon or spring chores would never get done.
but.... it would b nice to b able to have a little more time after work to get some hunting in but w that every other hunter has that opportunity as well.
mayb the split season is the answer as most (not all) of the breeding will have been completed. idk iv heard more talk of it in the past few years than i ever have so im sure it will become more of a debate in the near future.

I was never into hunting as a youth when I lived in MO but down there I believe their season is 2 weeks sun up to sun down I think short seasons with that can be ok but I personally love NY's a full month till noon like previously stated there is so much to get done in the spring its nice to have a deadline can get the clubs out, lines wet, and the spring chores done

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!
« Reply #32 on: Mar 08, 2011, 08:37:42 PM »
like mentioned before, im all for increased hunting opportunities, but the fact that its later in the season, hotter, harder to hunt, and the calico bite is usually on, it will be difficult to find myself out there....maybe a few times after work, buts thats about it.
If its BROWN...Its DOWN!!!      If it FLYS...It DIES!!!

Offline dan_lais

• 6 Pointer
  • can't wait for May 1st!!!
« Reply #33 on: Mar 09, 2011, 03:34:01 PM »
id like to see the season open on april 15th and run to may 31st only be able to hunt to noon and take 3 birds in ny.i have personally seen turkeys breeding in march.i actually have it on video.last year we saw everything happining in april while we were scouting and building blinds.id even take april 15 to may 15, 2 birds hunt till noon.oh well NY doesnt get it and never will.i wish i was an indian so i could make my own season......or amish

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!!!!!!!!

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #34 on: Mar 09, 2011, 04:07:56 PM »
id like to see the season open on april 15th and run to may 31st only be able to hunt to noon and take 3 birds in ny.i have personally seen turkeys breeding in march.i actually have it on video.last year we saw everything happining in april while we were scouting and building blinds.id even take april 15 to may 15, 2 birds hunt till noon.oh well NY doesnt get it and never will.i wish i was an indian so i could make my own season......or amish

Actually NY does get it ;D, I know I've posted this before from the DEC website:

The goal for managing the spring hunting season is to give hunters the greatest amount of opportunity to go afield and harvest a bird, while minimizing the risk to nesting hens, causing minimum disruption to breeding behavior, and minimizing the risk of overharvest. To do this, we open the spring season near the median date for the onset of incubation (when hens are on nests). A recent study by Virginia Tech looking at timing of turkey hunting seasons in the northeastern U.S. found that the timing of New York's spring season was ideal based on data for breeding and nesting turkeys in our region.
From here: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/48823.html  8)
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline bamaboy

• Forked
« Reply #35 on: Mar 09, 2011, 05:50:03 PM »
we go from march 15th to april 30th and can hunt daylight to dark and take 5 birds

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #36 on: Mar 09, 2011, 07:24:44 PM »
we go from march 15th to april 30th and can hunt daylight to dark and take 5 birds
how often do you all limit out down there, I know our populations could not handle that kind of pressure up here but would be awesome to have the opportunity to be able to do so

Offline bamaboy

• Forked
« Reply #37 on: Mar 09, 2011, 07:29:35 PM »
We have a big population but most people dont limit out. I generally get 2 or 3 birds in a season

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #38 on: Mar 11, 2011, 08:56:43 PM »
How much is out of state tags and do they get the chance for 5 as well

Offline dan_lais

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #39 on: Mar 12, 2011, 05:23:29 PM »
NY has a way to justify everything they do bud.i see you trust a decision made by a man behind a desk.DEC can say whatever they want but the season is too late.I have a bridge for sale wanna buy it?Good deal on it!

Offline walleymaster96

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #40 on: Mar 12, 2011, 05:35:59 PM »
scence im a jr hunter i get to hunt the 23-24 of april same rules apply half hour before till noon

in NY

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #41 on: Mar 12, 2011, 11:58:19 PM »
ignorance=lack of knowledge......bliss=supreme happiness; utter joy or contentment:     

« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2011, 12:25:37 AM by ramrod »
If vegetarians love animals so much, why do they eat all their food?   

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #42 on: Mar 13, 2011, 12:21:32 AM »
NY has a way to justify everything they do bud.i see you trust a decision made by a man behind a desk.DEC can say whatever they want but the season is too late.I have a bridge for sale wanna buy it?Good deal on it!

I trust the DEC biolgists and Virginia Tech study more than you; at least they back up their position, science pretty much is about justifying things. ;)

Why do you feel the season needs to be earlier? Can you assure us all that moving the season ahead will not affect population levels? Did you even bother to read the article objectively?

I'm not in the market for a bridge but CP was looking for one last fall.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #43 on: Mar 13, 2011, 04:46:01 AM »

I'm not in the market for a bridge but CP was looking for one last fall.

Nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline dan_lais

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #44 on: Mar 13, 2011, 08:36:58 AM »
i kill my share of birds with the season the way it is.our population is great here and i guess i just hate to wait as long as we have to.you are right JJ........is there anyway i can just hibernate and wake up may first lol!!49 days and counting till the longbeards are in trouble!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal