Author Topic: Your perfered turkey call  (Read 9405 times)

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Your perfered turkey call
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:29:41 PM »
My slate is a lil duece also, so is my ceramic. Not sure what the glass was but it broke last year.

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:44:30 PM »
I used to have a little RR call....but it got lost in the lint in my pocket all the time....What a pain... :P

ahh.. a vintage 79' RR tominator.. although miniature, extremelly lethal. but none the less a timeless classic.  and i thought the only thing u collected were tags.  ;D ;D ;D  ;)
If vegetarians love animals so much, why do they eat all their food?   

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:47:25 PM »
SLAM!!!! LOL, that was a good one!! I have tags older than you my man.... ;D

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2011, 06:16:56 AM »
I guess my favorite would be a Martin Brothers Custom Gold Rush glass call.

Offline holden222

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2011, 09:25:21 AM »
wow tons of info here thanks guys, I like how there doesn't seem to be one thing vastly preferred over anything else. I have always used mouth calls but I am no good with them. I need to put it in my pocket so I can practice while driving. I bought a box call last year but never really used it much. Thanks for the links CaptJJ. Got a lot of work to do now!

Offline bamaboy

• Forked
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2011, 04:40:39 PM »
I went from the "National" big name call makers to the handmade versions several years ago. They generally cost a little more but the sound is so much better (to me). I use a slate call from Straight Creek Calls and a few mouth yelpers from a guy I met a show last year. (cant remember his name)
TalkHunting Magazine Pro Staff    www.talkhunting.com
UFA Member   www.unitedforumsassoc.com

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2011, 05:58:23 PM »
custom made box from Albert Paul..field grade made from mahogony and poplar and a custom made slate from close calls...really nice Purrrrrs!  ;D
If its BROWN...Its DOWN!!!      If it FLYS...It DIES!!!

Offline cobrican

• Spiked
    • Sawyer Consulting
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2011, 07:27:07 PM »
I still use the first call I was ever given, an H.S. Strut box call.  I also use a slate call and some diaphragms by Straight Creek Calls.
Pro Staff, Talkhunting Magazine  www.talkhunting.com
Sawyer Consulting LLC  Management for hunting and recreation properties
UFA Member  www.unitedforumsassoc.com

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #23 on: Mar 11, 2011, 09:00:49 PM »
My #1 call is quaker boys mini mag split v I use box and slate as well but 95% mouth call there was 2 cd's I got when I first started hunting turkey's they I would tell you what they where but they seemed to have been given to people who didn't return them I can tell you they were at walmart though probably primos and hs strut i'd have to guess but they were good for me walks you through every call by wish I still had them my 3yr old will go to the fridge and get the quakers out and try to use them with me lots of fun

Offline dan_lais

• 6 Pointer
  • can't wait for May 1st!!!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 12, 2011, 05:14:03 PM »
i use an OLD lohman box call.it has called inmany a birds.i wish i could use a mouthcall.i just gotta practice they are an amazing no movement call that i need to master!!!

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!!!!!!!!

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #25 on: Mar 13, 2011, 03:58:06 PM »
i use an OLD lohman box call.it has called inmany a birds.i wish i could use a mouthcall.i just gotta practice they are an amazing no movement call that i need to master!!!
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( bla bla bla bla bla I have heard this sad song about mouth calls for what 5 yrs now just do it already

Offline holden222

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Apr 18, 2011, 08:45:46 AM »
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( bla bla bla bla bla I have heard this sad song about mouth calls for what 5 yrs now just do it already

Haha well I am in the same boat. Guess I need to go look for some dvd's or something.

Offline hooknhunter

• Forked
« Reply #27 on: Apr 18, 2011, 11:43:43 AM »
My favorite is a double frame, double reed diaphram call, called the double threat, I think.  Works really well and the double frame makes it easier to situate in my mouth correctly.
Keep your gunpowder dry and your fishing hooks wet.

Offline dan_lais

• 6 Pointer
  • can't wait for May 1st!!!
« Reply #28 on: Apr 18, 2011, 02:20:51 PM »
my dad and i were out scouting sunday and i brought my mouth call to show him my progress.we sat in an old camper to stay dry and were listening for birds.after a couple hours of nothing we decided we were gonna leave soon so i broke out my mouth call and showed him how much i improved.5 mins later a small flock of birds 6 or 7 came right in.we were laughing and watching them for a while.after they left the field dad said well those birds thought it sounded good.lol.i didnt want to call to them too much for fear that they would not see a bird then get skiddish,but i can tell ya this it was a confidence booster.

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!!!!!!!!

Offline bauls25

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #29 on: Apr 18, 2011, 02:27:54 PM »
I like traveling light with just a couple mouth calls, I find a call will sound different from day to day. Ill throw a call in my mouth and do a note or two once I get out of the truck and change it out if I dont like it. Then I'm hiking thru the woods stopping periodically looking for a response. Usually if I get a response I can coax em into range for a shot from me or one of my buddies. Gonna try to keep a journal and video all the birds I run into this season.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal