Author Topic: Hornady SST 12ga Slug  (Read 8610 times)

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
Hornady SST 12ga Slug
« on: Jul 28, 2005, 04:04:05 PM »
Has anybody tried these yet? They advertise centerfire accuracy..............
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
Re: Hornady SST 12ga Slug
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2005, 01:13:19 AM »
no, and I don't do much hunting for deer with slugs, but I do know that those brenekke slugs do some awesome damage, I hunted with them for one day last year and shot a do and man did that thing go down in a heep.

MASTERGUIDE

Offline Deer-Downer

• 6 Pointer
  • Total deer taken in my life....7.... still count'n
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2005, 08:16:46 PM »
No never tried those maybe someday though...DUCKDOWNER... ;D ;D
I May Be Small But I Hunt Big!!

!!Hunting!! I'm in it for the !!BUCKS!!

Deer-Downer

Offline TJ Bauer

• Forked
  • LIVE LIFE, HUNT, BE SAFE, AND HAVE FUN
« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2005, 11:43:45 PM »
yea i have never tryed them either but I agree with Masterguide the Brenekke slugs are awsome I have shot them every since I started dear hunting and the first doe I shot didnot even take a step and last year i got a buck running away from me in very tall grass the only shots I had were on the bounce of the dear running and I shot and got him right in the back of the neck probally mostly luck but they do pattern very well.

Offline bayonne

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2005, 12:14:20 PM »
i use light fields my self my budd uses brenigins not shore of spelling thier both awsome acurate and and make a quick kill i find it better to stick with 2 3/4 then the 3i in much better acurecy

buzzbomb

« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2005, 08:15:06 AM »
I'm sorry this thread got hijacked, but Brenneke is the flavour of the day!  I'll be using 2 1/2" Rotweill Brenneke's this year.  They cycle through my 2 3/4 "  Remington no problem and have plenty of snap.  They are manufactured by Dynamite Nobel (remember the inventor of dynamite?) and I've used their Geco pistol ammo before (put a .32 acp bullet through 9" of fir planks!).  The 2 1/2" cartridge must of been offered for European shotguns in that chamber length and I picked up a bunch at a gun sale for next to nothing. 

Offline need2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2005, 07:54:50 PM »
I've never used the 12 ga slugs but I have used the 300 gr 50 cal sst in my muzzleloader and they are great.  Accurate and expand very well.
If it can't get done outdoors, it isn't going to get done!

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2005, 02:58:34 PM »
That's interesting that Dynamite Nobel makes Brennekke slugs, because in the precision shooting world, Dynamit Nobel makes some of the best pellet rifle ammunition, and some olympians use it.  To be honest thats how I got into the brennekke slugs, I was looking for slugs and saw brennekke, and it sounded german to me, and from my precision competition shooting background, I know Germany makes the best most accurate rifles and ammunition in the world, so thats why I got them, and now that I Know Dynamit Nobel makes the brennekke slugs it all makes sense now.

MASTERGUIDE

buzzbomb

« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2005, 08:34:41 AM »
I've been in contact with Brenneke and Dynamite Nobel recently, and they told me that Brenneke (manufacturers of slugs for over 110 years!) sells their slugs to Nobel to be loaded for the European market, and their American subsiduary, Brenneke of America,  loads them for the states.  1390fps at the muzzle.  I don't forsee any problems at all.  It's a bit of a goofy shaped slug at the sharp end but I'm keeping an open mind

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2005, 09:17:36 AM »
Has anybody tried these yet? They advertise centerfire accuracy..............

OK, OK.......so has ANYBODY tried the new Hornady SST slug??????????
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Offline Dr. IceGeek

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2005, 05:29:42 PM »
Nope...sorry bro, I shoot brenneke's as well.....

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2005, 02:16:30 AM »
Sound's like you need to pick up a couple boxes of brenekke's to try out venisonman and compare them, they really are something.  They give you centerfire accuracy too.

MASTERGUIDE

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2005, 05:11:06 AM »
i have a buddy that tried them and says he wont go back to anything else, he loves the SST.
http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=148

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 30, 2005, 10:31:16 AM »
I've been shooting brenneke for 4 years now and love 'em.
The SST looks intriguing, advertising says something like 200 yd centerfire accuracy with enough ft/pounds to do the job on deer.

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Sep 30, 2005, 10:33:25 AM »
Thanks for the link Archbishop. Aren't you from the general area I hunt? Arkport, NY?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal