Author Topic: no more alt  (Read 4631 times)

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
no more alt
« on: Dec 24, 2004, 02:12:34 AM »
wanted to see if you guys heard this and your opinions personally think its nice in a way for him to be gone but also a little late and sad in a way that hes leaving more happy though maybe we can get back to our regular seasons

Offline DROP TINE

• Spiked
Re: no more alt
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2004, 03:41:32 PM »
 ;D I'm jumpin with joy!!  Get him outta there.  He had a good idea goin with the antler restrictions but he did too much at one time.  Instead of concentrating on one thing (antler restriction or herd reduction, which to me is a load of crap,) he did both at one time and it made alot of hunters mad.  When we used to hunt (before he came here and started his little plan in Pa) we never saw anymore than 6 or 7 deer in one day.  My all time best for seeing deer in one day of hunting was 9.  And that was at the mountains 4 years ago.  Other than that i usually see anywhere from 0-3 maybe 4 deer a day.  Now you go out to the woods and your (atleast for me) tickled pink to kick one up.  I do all my hunting on public land.  I hunt two places that are owned by farmers but they let just about anyone hunt there so that doesn't really count as private property.  Next year I'm hittin Ohio hard.  Who knows if I'll hunt pa next year.   Heck, in Ohio you can hunt everyday from october to january of the next year and that produces huge bucks every year.  O well.  Talk to you guys later. 

DROP TINE

P.S. Good luck during the late season.  I'll let you know if i get lucky.
LOOK AT DA SIZE A DAT ONE!!

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2004, 04:27:22 PM »
drop tine exactly what my piont is happy to see deer upstate but was lucky this year and for the first time during deer season i saw a buck at my grandfathers place in 8 years but couldnt shoot because i couldnt tell if he was legal but noticed after he ran that he was did however see 5 deer opening day shot one but was takin by another hunter on public lands and saw a load today before i got a small button buck but that was in lower bucks county

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
  • Jigwiggler doesn't really apply here.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2004, 12:48:56 PM »
I think his plans for herd reduction were way to general and that the WMU concept is a step in the wrong direction.  If they want to manage and even out deer populations then they should have left it at the county level or even broken it down to the township level.  That way you could get a more accurate count on the herd numbers and tag allotment.  The is alot of varience in population from area to area let alone across a whole WMU.  Hopefully things get better from here but with the push from insurance industries to lower deer numbers even more I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2004, 11:25:07 PM »
pa your right it should be smaller lot bigger cause down here where i live the doe tags would be unlimited

Offline mjc2799

• Nubbie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2005, 11:49:49 AM »
i hope he dont let the door hit him on the way out ... his experiment was a BUST

mike

Offline FIRESTORMHTR

• Forked
  • 8 Point
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2005, 07:23:07 AM »
Hey Guys,
I  think the Antler Restrictions was good thing,Wish they would do that in Newhampshire.Bunch of Hunt
the First week of Archery in Delaware State Forest Area,out of  Promised Land State Park,we all tagged out
just about every Year,we did have alot of Bucks under are stands or walking by that we could shoot,but saw some nice bruisers,that just wouldn't come in for a shot.I think alot of it has to do with the Area to,never seen so many Bears Bow Hunting,just wish you could Hunt them then.Going back down this year,hopefully luck still prevails,good luck to all this year.Happy Hunting.
Dave

Offline scansy

• Forked
  • IX - X - XIII - XIV - XL
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2005, 12:19:45 PM »
I think the antler restrictions were working where I hunt (farm land in SW PA) - we saw more 8 points this year than in years past.  We have a group of about a dozen hunters who took three 8 points and a couple of smaller bucks (kids).

We also tag out on does, including bonus tags.  Have been for years now.  Many of the farmland areas in this state are loaded with deer.  I know where we hunt, a lot of deer are shot during the season and then even more are shot with damage tags.  So far it hasn't hurt the population.

We also have a camp in Cameron county and there are very few deer there.  We actually see more elk than deer.  Problem there is lack of food.  Big continuous tracts of mature forests don't provide much food.  I think the answer there is to go in and cut out parts of the forest and leave a lot of undergrowth start to come back.  On a rotating basis, the forest would come back and there would be better deer numbers and healthier looking too.  When I look at pictures of deer at camp they are thin and sick looking compared to the ones we hunt in the farmland.

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
  • Jigwiggler doesn't really apply here.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2005, 03:51:27 PM »
Hey Guys,
I  think the Antler Restrictions was good thing,Wish they would do that in Newhampshire.

I think the antler restrictions were working where I hunt (farm land in SW PA) - we saw more 8 points this year than in years past.

Guys I don't think anyone here is against the antler restrictions.  In fact, I would love to see the whole state under the 4 point restriction.  It is the dramatic increase in doe tags over the last few years that is the concern, especially in areas with modest to low deer populations.  In the last couple years I've seen the average size of the buck taken locally increase and the total herd numbers drop significantly.  Is the increase in antler size related to the cut in population?  Maybe in some of the most severly overbrowsed areas but not around here.  Most of the rural areas of the state can support rather high deer densities and still produce quality bucks year after year.  The increase in tags and push to reduce the total herd size comes directly from the insurance industry and the money they put up to help these programs along.  I think Scansy hit the nail on the head.  Look at the millions of acres of mature forest in State Game Lands and State Forest Lands.  These types of forests are not nearly as beneficial to wildlife as they could be.  Selective loggin of these lands would greatly benifit the wildlife while producing revenue that could be used to fund programs within the commission along with things like hunters education courses and youth involvement in the sport.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal