Author Topic: My first deer  (Read 2143 times)

Offline fishinfool96

• Fawn
My first deer
« on: Nov 17, 2008, 08:04:29 PM »
I decided to try hunting again after a 10 year break. I got warmed up on squirrel hunting. Friday afternoon I went to the woods made a seat out of sticks leaned against a tree. Got to the spot about 6:30 Saturday morning. Around 7:45 I shot my first deer. Here it is:

Its a 8 point 17 1/4" spread, 170 pounds! I didn't hear it or see it until it was less than 20 yards away, comming directly from my left, right toward me. I couldn't see it clearly because it was behind two tree's looking right at me. I knew it was a buck so I started to get a little excited but somehow got my self to calm down. I still had no idea how big it was, only knew it had antlers. It stood there behind the two tree's just looking for what seemed like forever. Then it turned to his left and started to trot, I immediatly raised my gun thinking I would have to take a shot while it was running. But he stopped after only a few leaps. As soon as he stopped I moved the crosshair right behind the shoulder and fired instantly knowing that if he took just a few more steps he would be behind a beech deadfall, and my opportunity would be gone. He jumped into the air and kicked his back legs, I knew that I got him. He ran straight toward the swayle thicket but couldn't make it, he only went about 20 yards and fell dead. When I got to where he layed I couldn't believe what I saw, it was a huge deer with a very nice 8 point rack. My heart really started pounding. I sat there for about 10 minutes just admiring it and thanking him for giving up his life. Needless to say I'm hooked.

Offline heymax

• Forked
Re: My first deer
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2008, 08:20:04 PM »
There is nothing like your first deer ;D, Congrats

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2008, 08:28:39 PM »
Great Buck!  Native Americans were known for thanking the Deer they harvested for what they provided to them.  Congratulations, that's one heck of a first Deer!

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2008, 09:48:59 PM »
Nice buck congrats
icefishinman88 on the shanty

upstatehunter

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2008, 05:02:58 AM »
Awesome story and great hunt. Glad you came back to the greatest pastime in the world. You were and will be rewarded for your outlook on the sport.  Whitetails are truly a majestic creature to be revered. I thank everyone of them for the challenge and bounty they give us.
Super job!!

Offline BigBucksBigBucksNoWammies

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2008, 09:01:04 PM »
Welcome back to this great sport, and congrats on that great buck

Offline caroga kid

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2008, 09:09:22 PM »
Nice buck..And welcome to the sport!! 8)
h=100 height=100]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/deposit/Blood%20in%20the%20Truck%201_zps1mwil74t.jpg[/img

Offline out door man

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2008, 08:31:20 PM »
Nice Buck !!!!!!   
Get The Spud Launcher !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal